Is MG ZS EV timed charging now working 100%? And are Andersen chargers ok?

Hi Folks,
I have recently been in contact with a staff member of the dealership that sold me my ZS EV.
He has assured me that the latest update for charging was uploaded into my car before it was delivered to me. I am told the software allows one to start Charging any time from after 90 secs to days, months from when car is locked after it has been plugged in. I am told it should work no matter what charger or charge start up system one uses. It would even work if you use a timer plug and the 3 pin granny cable. So that is how I am going to test it tonight. I will update tomorrow if successful or not.

Last edited:
Hmmm - so not multiple starts as necessary to allow charging from solar surplus? Does your timer allow you to test this with maybe 3 or 4 starts e.g. 30 mins on, 30 mins off over a few hours?

Just tried setting mine for midday, and it kicked in straight away when it only needs 3 hours of charge...didn’t really need to start until 09.00 hours

I may have been wrong on my last comment and no KWh added yet on my smart meter records....will check again about 09.00 and see what’s displayed...

No it’s is charging now, maybe it’s because I’m still on a flat rate waiting for my smart meter installation from EDF...

Hi Folks,
My timed charging test with granny 3 pin cable + timed plug failed. I do not think this time charging issue has been sorted properly by MG.
Anyway, been back in contact with my guy at the dealership. They will arrange to get my car in to re-upload/update the software after lockdown.
The dealership guy insists that those of us who have the correct update should have no problems with timed charging.
Apparently MG as a safety/ energy efficiency measure designed the ECU on the ZS EV to go to sleep as soon as you lock the car forgetting that one needs it to initiate timed charging. This update apparently allows the ECU to be awake in a standby mode to initiate charging whenever power is presented to the onboard charger.
Well not sure what MG were thinking but I wonder why they got something so basic wrong in the first place.
Is there anyone for whom timed charging is working completely normally and reliably?

Last edited:
Good research there...Answers a few questions.

Personally I don't have cheap rate electricity at night. But I do have solar panels, so I prefer to charge during the sunshine..in fact I am thinking of re-using my Granny charger more, as the faster charger definitely uses more electricity than the solar panels can produce.

the faster charger definitely uses more electricity than the solar panels can produce
Definitely unless you have a bigger than average solar installation.
Most are 4kw, and will produce maybe 3.5kwh at their peak (because of the angle of the pannels vs the position of the sun throughout the day). So if your car is drawing 7kw, you'll definitely be drawing more than the panels can produce.
In that scenario, a Zappi is unquestionably the best option.

@ Chrispydoc, what about an energy storage unit. I do not know how much they cost but I am told they can store all the electricity from the solar during the day. One can the plug in to charge the car at night. Apparently works even in the winter.
Folks,
I tried timed charging again and it failed.
I must say l am a bit unhappy with MG on this issue. It is a basic integral part of the modern EV that no serious manufacturer should get wrong.

Last edited:
Batteries had a payback of 8-10 years last time I checked prices. Have you tried unlocking and re-locking your car within 3 or 4 hours of the timed charge start time? Make sure you listen for the buzz of the plug locking so you are sure it is correctly connected. The December battery software update seemed to implement a snooze mode of around 2 hrs to allow the car to wake up to accept the charge and the January update extended this but not sure how much longer as it drains the 12v battery. Failing that, set a trickle charge with a mid-charge cheap-rate boost - not ideal but only adds a few pence to the cost. A longer term solution is supposedly being worked on for deployment later this year.

Last edited:
@ Mike R thanks.
OK, I will try timed charging again tonight. Will lock vehicle within 3 hours of the start of my cheap rate.
Hope it works.

Hope it works. Do you rely on rate change detection to initiate the charge or set a timer? If the former, it might be an issue with detection in the charger rather than the car.

@ Mike R.
Well I know when my low rate starts. I believe it is at 00:30 am so I will set to start charging at that time.
Hopefully it will work.

Yes but some chargers claim to automatically detect the rate change from a pulse on the power line from the supplier.

@ Mike R.
Yes
That is true for most of the more expensive 7kwh to 22kwh home fast chargers.
I am however going with the granny charging cable and a timed plug first.
Next month some friends has set me the task of trying to use free public charging
for one whole month and only using home charging at cheap rate should an equalising slow charge be required.
So, I am prepping for that. Got all the free charging spot marked out and when I may be able to use them. Odds where in my favour this month as the free chargers are always free because of lockdown so we will try next month after lockdown.

@ Chrispydoc, what about an energy storage unit. I do not know how much they cost but I am told they can store all the electricity from the solar during the day. One can the plug in to charge the car at night. Apparently works even in the winter.
Folks,
I tried timed charging again and it failed.
I must say l am a bit unhappy with MG on this issue. It is a basic integral part of the modern EV that no serious manufacturer should get wrong.

I think energy storage systems are very expensive, certainly quite a few thousand pounds.

I got in very early with Solar, so i'm on the top rate. The amount of energy I use and he money I get back from my solar panels, pays for ALL my energy bills....so I'm fine.:)

Last edited:
@Chrispydoc,
Very well done. I am considering solar panels but not sure about costs/benefits at present. May just take the plunge and do it anyway.

When I bought ours about 10 years ago, they cost £15K per set. Nowadays they are only about £ 4 or 5K, but todays returns are much more modest.

I am on Octopus energy for both electric and gas and I am told with Zappi Charge point and solar panels one can program things such that the end result will zero charging cost for the car in two years. Not sure how they do the maths but I am really tempted.
5k is much in this time of CoVid virus but hopefully when things get underway one may be able to afford.
Anyway folks for any of you considering switching electric and gas consider Octopus Energy. They are cheaper than British Gas etc. and have an overnight charge rate of 5p/kWh. Which is excellent for daily top charging.
If you consider switching then have a look at Octopus energy there is a £50 referral benefit. That is you get £50 credit after one month and the person referring also gets £50.
My referral code is:
share.octopus.energy/cliff-otter-707
One my use it as a link to Octopus Switching page directly or copy and paste it when asked for details of your referrer once you are on the Octopus Energy Website.
Please don't switch just for the sake of a few quid. Make sure you look at the tarrifs and that you are happy the tarrifs are good for you.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom