Is the new MG5 2022 rated for tow bar and roof rack usage?

Brilliant thank you.

PS I have been following you post and podcast. :)

Do we know the delivery times for them new MG5? I am guessing will be as long as the ZS EV.
They aren't commencing manufacture of the new MG5 in RHD until August, so it's likely to be November before we see them in the UK. I believe there will be 1000 cars available before end of December (but that's only 6 per dealership!).

There's a lot more than that delivered on the continent already, unless you think that there's a difference between LHD and RHD chassis mounts.

500kg is still enough for a decent camping trailer but MG still seem to be behind other full electric cars. It's a shame that they didn't rate it at 750kg like the e-niro for example. That's the maximum unbraked trailer weight and still fell within the B driving licence before last year's law change.

If you buy a budget car you must expect it to fall a bit short of premium ones in some respects. Towing is a bit of a niche really, in that only a small proportion of users would ever want to. Same as roof racks, cycle carriers, and some of the other things which regularly hit our forums.??++

If you buy a budget car you must expect it to fall a bit short of premium ones in some respects. Towing is a bit of a niche really, in that only a small proportion of users would ever want to. Same as roof racks, cycle carriers, and some of the other things which regularly hit our forums.??++
True in some respects but at less than 50% of the kerbweight I think it could have easily passed a 750kg test. It just just seems a shame just like my 35kg roof rails. I did hope that there would have been a bigger leap forward with full electric cars for when my pcp finishes.

True in some respects but at less than 50% of the kerbweight I think it could have easily passed a 750kg test. It just just seems a shame just like my 35kg roof rails. I did hope that there would have been a bigger leap forward with full electric cars for when my pcp finishes.
I'm sure it may have easily passed a 750kg test, but you'd be stopping every 70 miles to charge.

please note this is an exaggeration..,.. I don't really know the extent of range reduction towing 750kg would make.

I would have liked to be able to carry a towbar mounted bike rack but a 50kg towball limit is not enough as I would need 60kg. The 75kg roof weight is fine but my bikes are 22.5kgs each and apart from trying to lift them onto the roof, there are no bike carriers which will take more than 20kgs… Stymied all round!! 🤔

I would have liked to be able to carry a towbar mounted bike rack but a 50kg towball limit is not enough as I would need 60kg. The 75kg roof weight is fine but my bikes are 22.5kgs each and apart from trying to lift them onto the roof, there are no bike carriers which will take more than 20kgs… Stymied all round!! 🤔
I can find no reference in the online MG5 owners manual as to any towing/noseweight limits. These are the only limits referred to.

1660807533974.png

Also note that a noseweight/towball limit is not a legally enforceable figure like axle weights etc are.

However.....

It is advice, any failure to comply with that advice could possibly result in prosecution for using a vehicle in a dangerous condition or similar, but it is not a specific defined offence like exceeding axle or gross weights are.

The limit is arrived at by the car manufacturer and/or towbar manufacturer I believe (different towbars, different weights for same vehicle)..

It’s eminently sensible to comply with the advice.

I can find no reference in the online MG5 owners manual as to any towing/noseweight limits. These are the only limits referred to.

View attachment 10333

Also note that a noseweight/towball limit is not a legally enforceable figure like axle weights etc are.

However.....

It is advice, any failure to comply with that advice could possibly result in prosecution for using a vehicle in a dangerous condition or similar, but it is not a specific defined offence like exceeding axle or gross weights are.

The limit is arrived at by the car manufacturer and/or towbar manufacturer I believe (different towbars, different weights for same vehicle)..

It’s eminently sensible to comply with the advice.
I took this from an MG Motors press release dated March 2021 although, as you say, the towball weight is not mentioned in the handbook:
"The MG5 Electric offers a maximum towing weight of 500 kg, a maximum trailer nose weight of 50 kg and a roof load of 75 kg. Fully in line with the practical and functional character of a station wagon, the MG5 Electric is therefore suitable for a bicycle carrier and roof box."

I have noticed on the Web site that the new se long-range roof rails don't show a 75kg load limit but the trophy dose show this any one know if the se is any different or why it dosnt show a roof load capacity

I have noticed on the Web site that the new se long-range roof rails don't show a 75kg load limit but the trophy dose show this any one know if the se is any different or why it dosnt show a roof load capacity
It’s in the handbook for my MG5 Exclusive.

I took this from an MG Motors press release dated March 2021 although, as you say, the towball weight is not mentioned in the handbook:
"The MG5 Electric offers a maximum towing weight of 500 kg, a maximum trailer nose weight of 50 kg and a roof load of 75 kg. Fully in line with the practical and functional character of a station wagon, the MG5 Electric is therefore suitable for a bicycle carrier and roof box."
Interesting. I've just put a detailed post up about the MG5 and towbars, but yours suggests why the dealer said to us that it was possible but that MG didn't supply towbars or fit them. A March 2021 press release would definitely be referring to our long range MG5 model, but the latest I'm being told is that our model won't take a towbar but the new MG5 long range estate released to market early Nov 2022 will. Although, again, they won't supply or fit.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom