Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Am I the only one having problems with iDumb recently?

It only ever used to connect to the car every other attempt but now, for the last fortnight, it just sits there saying "Unable to get the vehicle's GPS" and the vehicle status check just times out with the "The status checking is failed, please try again later." This when I'm standing right next to the car.

I've uninstalled and re-installed the useless thing several times now to no avail. I've uninstalled it for good now, to be honest, I can't see I'm missing any useful information from it anyway.

And you've tried unlocking/locking the car?
And the car is in a location where mobile data connections are good?

(App is working fine for me).

Yes and yes I'm afraid. I've been to various locations in South Wales, Somerset and Gloucestershire and it won't work in any of them :(. It used to (sort of) but for the last couple of weeks - nothing.

Mines not working this morning (6:30am) The only thing it shows is the location of the car which is apparently 4 doors down from where it actually is.

Update: An hour later it's working although the car is still 4 doors away :unsure:

Last edited:
My iDumb has stopped working this past week, showing the same GPS not working and no information on the car or battery. I have unlocked and locked the car, it does annoy me that there is no way to find out what the issue is as this may help to resolve the problem. Any further ideas?

I think there may have been something going on. This morning I was getting the battery level but not the range, and when I went into Charging Management I wasn't getting anything. However I was able to set remote heating and it took that, and now it seems to be behaving normally again.

Just reinstalled the app and guess what? Yeh, still doesn't connect.
Why are we worried about Chinese hackers when they can't even connect to their own software 🙄
I believe our app/software version is created in Europe, the Chinese app is quite different, as is the car display. But I could be wrong about that, can't find a reference.

The feeling is mutual, I can assure you 😂

Right at the moment my hatred is reserved for the driver of a certain Nissan Leaf. I had decided to charge my car at the village charge-point this morning rather than let it sit on the granny charger all night, just to use the CSS charging facility for the first time. The point was free when I checked the ChargePlace Scotland app about ten past ten, but by the time I had put on my shoes and driven the 400 yards to the charger the Leaf had snuck in ahead of me.

Actually a good friend of mine has a Leaf that colour, maybe I should watch what I say! Just waiting for the app to say the charger is free again.

Right at the moment my hatred is reserved for the driver of a certain Nissan Leaf. I had decided to charge my car at the village charge-point this morning rather than let it sit on the granny charger all night, just to use the CSS charging facility for the first time. The point was free when I checked the ChargePlace Scotland app about ten past ten, but by the time I had put on my shoes and driven the 400 yards to the charger the Leaf had snuck in ahead of me.

Actually a good friend of mine has a Leaf that colour, maybe I should watch what I say! Just waiting for the app to say the charger is free again.
Welcome to the reality of public charging.

Hopefully as more charge points become available this will happen less.

The feeling is mutual, I can assure you 😂
Perhaps it reads comments on this thread and doesn't like the name you gave it?

Welcome to the reality of public charging.

Hopefully as more charge points become available this will happen less.

It's no big deal, I just wanted to get it done. Occupancy is limited to 45 minutes anyway, so they won't be much longer. Unless someone else gets in at that point! But the charger is usually free when I pass, it's not in huge demand.

Have now got App problems, it won't stop charging at the requested 80%, I can remotely lock/unlock doors but can't pre heat cabin, it shows an error message (47), 😱

The app is still working fine for me. It let me pre-heat the cabin this morning. The car is now on the public charger and the app is showing the car as charging, having put on over 10% of charge since 11.10 when it started.

Leaves aside, this is working fine. I connected the car up, saw it start to charge, walked home (5 minutes) and put the kettle on. Currently having a relaxing coffee while the car sups up electrons (or whatever it's supping up) on the charger. I just have to be sure to be back to disconnect it before the overstay fines kick in at 12.05. And actually the cost per KWh is marginally less than my domestic electricity rate, so what's not to like?

Last edited:
The app is still working fine for me. It let me pre-heat the cabin this morning. The car is now on the public charger and the app is showing the car as charging, having put on over 10% of charge since 11.10 when it started.

Leaves aside, this is working fine. I connected the car up, saw it start to charge, walked home (5 minutes) and put the kettle on. Currently having a relaxing coffee while the car sups up electrons (or whatever it's supping up) on the charger. I just have to be sure to be back to disconnect it before the overstay fines kick in at 12.10. And actually the cost per KWh is marginally less than my domestic electricity rate, so what's not to like?
I'm phoning dealership soon, see what they say 😏

Actually the app isn't 100% for me. Although it's reporting zero abnormalities on the car, all the tyres are apparently at zero pressure and I'm not getting an interior temperature reading. It's still monitoring the charging process though.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 508 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back