I've never had such a bad car. MG5 EV

aniballopes

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Problems with all sorts of things, but the worst is the autonomy they advertise of 400km when the maximum is 200km.
Acts as an emergency brake on the highway, cross control broken with 3000km of use.

It's worth looking at what m/kWh you're getting. At this time of year you would expect 3.5+ possibly 4, depending on what kind of driving you're doing. To see this, on the pre FL you press the 'cursor down' arrow on the steering wheel and it will show current journey and accumulated. If you're feeling excessive 'braking' on the M'way, try setting KERS to 1 and see if that helps.

I have a pre FL SR and am getting minimum 200m per 100% atm. As a very rough easy calc you can multiply battery size by mpkWh so my 50kWh battery at 200m range is 4kpWh ish. A 60kWh battery would be ballpark 240 miles ish. Though if you have a heavy right foot this will decrease!

Post up a pic of your dashboard display showing average energy consumption.

This time of year I can get 220 miles 350km easily in my older standard range model.

If you are driving round the M25 at 70mph every day then your mileage will be low but even so you should be able to get far more than 200km. I'd let the dealer check it out for you.

If your car can’t make 200km then something might be wrong with it and you should consider taking it to the dealer as other members suggest.

Currently doing a trip from Belgium - Dorset and starting with 100% charge this morning I managed to do 270km and still have 17% left.

270km is not 400km. and in fast charge, you can get only between 90% and 95%.
When it reaches 20% you get panic because you never know if you get 50kw or a 7kw or 12kw near you. The Maximo I did was London Brighton and back, more or less 240km and reach 3% the battery, driving less than 100km to save. Normally I drive between 90 km and 110km, 120km the consumer too high too, but the main reason is safety.
"The Emperor has no clothes."

Sometimes if you set your mind on disliking something, in this case your MG5, no matter what anyone says you will not change your mind. Best thing would be to sell the car and move on.
Yes, that's what I'm going to do to deliver the car, I can't sell it because the contract is rent to buy.

Last edited:
What car do you have; pre facelift SR or LR or the new facelift version ?
Long Range, you can find details by plate OV22CHO, I get from10km, now have +/- 20000km

We haven't started talking about the car's software yet or the driver's driving position, uncomfortable for a 1.85m person and so on.
Since the car is really heavy, a tire can easily blow out. How is it possible not to bring a spare tire, a jack that can handle the weight of the car or a decent spanner?

270km is not 400km. and in fast charge, you can get only between 90% and 95%.
When it reaches 20% you get panic because you never know if you get 50kw or a 7kw or 12kw near you. The Maximo I did was London Brighton and back, more or less 240km and reach 3% the battery, driving less than 100km to save. Normally I drive between 90 km and 110km, 120km the consumer too high too, but the main reason is safety.
"The Emperor has no clothes."

Expecting 400km with mostly motorway driving is the same as expecting an ICE car to do their claimed figures, as mentioned above MG actually states 193miles on motorway which is about 310km and in my experience you can probably do that.

Off course the slower you go the more efficient you become, that said above was done with an average speed of 100km/u (as per dash)

Yes software can not be relied upon but then that’s an inconvenience at most.

Get the car checked by a dealer or cancel the contract with the lease company. Or get a Tesla or ICE car.

I said 240km but it's really maybe 220km to new cross south London, now that was a few months old, with more than a year the battery no longer did that, no way, I noticed a loss of kilometres after a year.

"Yes software can not be relied upon but then that’s an inconvenience at most."
I'm not just talking about the interior software which isn't good either, I had two abrupt stops, one in the middle of the highway and the other inside the city, for no reason, putting my safety at risk, after indicating the yellow light saying that the system of the collision was not available, it never happened again.

I don't think I'm the only one who had bad experiences.
you're here selling the car, I'm talking disinterestedly.

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom