I've never had such a bad car. MG5 EV

In your first post, you mentioned the "cross control" was broken after 3,000km. What is that? A silly observation is that if you didn't get that fixed, that might be the root of your distance problems.

You later mention only fast charging to 90-95%. The charging rate does slow down the closer you get to 100%, esp after 80%. I believe that's a safety feature of the Battery Management System. I would think all electric cars would behave roughly the same when fast charging.

Finally, you mention the lack of a spare tyre on such a heavy car. The fitted tyres are rated (96V) for a heavy electric vehicle. And a spare tyre was an option for me when I bought my MG5 LR. I think the vast majority of all new cars do not offer a spare wheel as standard nowadays (to save money/weight and improve their WLTP).

I'd also be curious why you choose kilometres instead of miles when you live in the UK?

Maybe an electric car is not for you?

P.S. I writing as a Irish taxi driver with an almost 2yr old MG5 LR with 52,000km on the clock. My car is in pretty constant use 5 days a week in urban settings. I mostly fast charge to 80% and my SoH is 98% (per 2nd service last week). On a warm day, the guessometer gives me just over 400km on a full charge.

you're here selling the car, I'm talking disinterestedly.

Hardly "disinterestedly", and no-one here is selling the car, despite what you may think or believe!

Some posters have had bad experiences, many have not and I'm one of that latter group! As others have made clear, if the maximum range you are seeing from your car is much less than about 220 to 240 miles (not kilometers) then there are, perhaps, two possible reasons (as already advised to you earlier in the thread):
  • Your car has a problem and needs the dealer to thoroughly check it
  • You are a rather heavy-footed driver (sorry!)

In your first post, you mentioned the "cross control" was broken after 3,000km. What is that? A silly observation is that if you didn't get that fixed, that might be the root of your distance problems.

You later mention only fast charging to 90-95%. The charging rate does slow down the closer you get to 100%, esp after 80%. I believe that's a safety feature of the Battery Management System. I would think all electric cars would behave roughly the same when fast charging.

Finally, you mention the lack of a spare tyre on such a heavy car. The fitted tyres are rated (96V) for a heavy electric vehicle. And a spare tyre was an option for me when I bought my MG5 LR. I think the vast majority of all new cars do not offer a spare wheel as standard nowadays (to save money/weight and improve their WLTP).

I'd also be curious why you choose kilometres instead of miles when you live in the UK?

Maybe an electric car is not for you?

P.S. I writing as a Irish taxi driver with an almost 2yr old MG5 LR with 52,000km on the clock. My car is in pretty constant use 5 days a week in urban settings. I mostly fast charge to 80% and my SoH is 98% (per 2nd service last week). On a warm day, the guessometer gives me just over 400km on a full charge.

what I meant was cruise control, I have spoken to several people especially when I charge the car and only a few confirm my details, mostly at charging stations.

Yes, after 90-95% stop charging, it is a security system but as far as I know, only MG does that.

I use km instead of miles because I'm used to thinking in km and that way I don't have to do math.

If you do 400 km or 250 Miles, congratulations

BTW, I'm not a fanboy of the MG5. For example, I don't like the software but I think no EV company has perfected their software yet.

I can only think there must be something wrong with your particular car and maybe it needs a deep check at an MG garage.

If you have some spare time, I might point you to a YouTube channel run by a mobile EV mechanic called James Cleevely. His company have 2 MG5's on the road and they 'abuse' their cars flying up and down the motorways fast/rapid charging everywhere. He does regular reports on his cars and the cars he services. I would call him an honest and reliable person.

I use km instead of miles because I'm used to thinking in km and that way I don't have to do math.
Surely you'd have the speedometer set to miles rather than Km when driving in the UK ? Otherwise you'd have to convert from Km to miles whilst driving , ensuring your not breaking the speed limits . I have experience of having to do that when a software update went wrong on a previous car and it wasn't much fun .

Surely you'd have the speedometer set to miles rather than Km when driving in the UK ? Otherwise you'd have to convert from Km to miles whilst driving , ensuring your not breaking the speed limits . I have experience of having to do that when a software update went wrong on a previous car and it wasn't much fun .
In this aspect, it has configuration and works well.
  • Yards (1 mile = 1,760 yards)
  • Feet (1 mile = 5,280 feet)
I prefer a decimal system.

I heard that when the UK comes back to Europe more will have to change the Milas to km.

I joined MG because as it was UK it would give me more quality.

Last edited:
In this aspect, it has configuration and works well.
  • Yards (1 mile = 1,760 yards)
  • Feet (1 mile = 5,280 feet)
I prefer a decimal system.

I heard that when the UK comes back to Europe more will have to change the Milas to km.

I joined MG because as it was UK it would give me more quality.
What does that mean ? I know what 1 mile in feet and yards is . What is was saying is that it it is better when driving in the UK to have the speedometer displaying in Miles per hour . If I'm driving in Europe I change my display to Kilometres per hour ,meaning I don't have to convert in my head when driving . It's much easier .
The problem I have with your post is you are giving vague information regarding your problem .
Have you leased the car New or Used ? If it was used deal you have no way of knowing how the previous owner treated it . If he/she charged it to 100% or near on rapid chargers ,the State of Health of your battery may be compromised.
If new , was it always as bad as you say ?
Have you referred your issues to the dealership or Leasing agent ?
As far as sudden unexplained braking on the motorway is concerned . This occasionally happened on my last 2 cars ( not MG ) when using Smart Cruise control if it perceived that a car in front leaving the carriageway was slowing sharply so I don't think it's purely an MG issue

Last edited:
J
We haven't started talking about the car's software yet or the driver's driving position, uncomfortable for a 1.85m person and so on.
Since the car is really heavy, a tire can easily blow out. How is it possible not to bring a spare tire, a jack that can handle the weight of the car or a decent spanner?
Hi Aniballopes, the MG5 certainly has some quirks, but regarding the points you highlighted, I too am a similar height and find the seating position very comfortable, I take it you have adjusted the steering wheel to the best position for your size?. I think you can rest assured that there is no imminent danger of a tyre blowing due to the weight of the car. I think you will find that the weight (Kerb weight (kg) 1,550) is not only comparable to, but in some cases less than equivalent vehicles - ( FORD MONDEO SPECIFICATIONS -2.0L TDCi 6-speed manual 150 PS 1597KG - https://media.ford.com/content/dam/...deo/FordMondeo_TechnicalSpecifications_EU.pdf)
Equally, MG have followed other manufacturer trends of not providing a spare wheel - (Skoda Octavia for example).
I have only covered 3500 miles in our 22 LR, but during that time I have enjoyed every minute of it. We have done some long journeys - to Inverness from Leeds with 2 charges and the regular daily commute. My average displayed MPK is 5, currently showing 5.1. As is often pointed out on this forum, to get the best MPK requires a couple of adjustments to a persons driving style: gentle application of the accelerator, good forward planning...or as 'Smith System Training' calls it..'15 second 'eyelead time', looking for what will cause other motorists to change speed or direction, allowing a driver to react in good time, reducing need for sudden braking and wasting all that energy you used to get the vehicle moving. Try it, it really works and makes driving more enjoyable.

MG5 SR, pre facelift (70 plate). Just got back from a 380 mile round trip from Norfolk to Sussex and back. Car well loaded with luggage, 2 up, Aircon on most of the time. Started with 100% charge from home charger. Got to Sussex in one, with 20% remaining. GOM remaining range plus miles covered was a shade under 240 miles. Charged to 82% at 70-90kW on an Evyve charger in Horsham and topped up overnight to 100% on the granny. Achieved much the same for the run back. I think I was doing about 4.5 miles per kWh, maybe better.

Why the km reference, given it's a UK car presumably delivered/configured showing miles.
So what's 250miles? oops there's your 402KM

270km is not 400km. and in fast charge, you can get only between 90% and 95%.
When it reaches 20% you get panic because you never know if you get 50kw or a 7kw or 12kw near you. The Maximo I did was London Brighton and back, more or less 240km and reach 3% the battery, driving less than 100km to save. Normally I drive between 90 km and 110km, 120km the consumer too high too, but the main reason is safety.
"The Emperor has no clothes."
Why are you going on about km, you say you drive in London this forum is mainly UK based and your car should record in miles, may be people would understand more if you keep miles not kilometers. 2 year I have owned my Standard range mg5 and I get 210 plus miles out of a full charge during the summer in winter less but that is to be expected. Your figures on km are fake or you drive like an F1 driver all day every day IMHO

You really need to download and use ZapMap. That would tell you which chargers are close by, which are occupied and which are working. You can filter results to only show 50kW units or higher, specific operators and connection type.

Am I the only one who thinks OP is trolling us? His posts barely make sense (even accounting for any language differences).

Assuming you're not a troll...

As others have said (and you've conveniently ignored), if you're really only getting a tiny range, that sounds like there's an issue with the car and you need to speak to where you got it from. Much as you would with an ICE car that developed a fault. Hell, I bought a brand new Vauxhall before I got the MG5 and it broke down within a month as a belt snapped.

Yes the software isn't brilliant, but I've not found a car yet where everything is perfect, and honestly, it does the job.

Am I the only one who thinks OP is trolling us? His posts barely make sense (even accounting for any language differences).
Nope also , exactly why I was hesitant to reply to the nonsensical statements & feed the thread. Who drives to 3%? Or doesn’t research a car they are buying especially being an EV..

I'm just past 2000 miles touring in Europe at motorway speeds, 3.9 m/kWh or 220 miles range.

You might need to do a battery balance charge and check the vehicle settings.

An EV needs treating differently.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom