Journey planning and charging

tony powell

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I have just purchased a MG ZS EV LR Luxury. If I plane a long route on the SatNav, will it recommend available charge points en route and update that information in real time if the charger is occupied?

Another vote for Zapmap or check ABRP.
If you use Bonnet then their app is good.
The Electric Juice card is good as it has no pre authorization fees.

Try some of the posts/threads from other users in France, such as this.
You may find some useful tips there like using ABRP as mentioned above. If there is a subscriber to that service they may be able to add more information as to it's functionality. Failing that, reach out to those members and see if they have any other helpful info.

I have just purchased a MG ZS EV LR Luxury. If I plane a long route on the SatNav, will it recommend available charge points en route and update that information in real time if the charger is occupied?

The onboard SatNav will not plan stops along the route :-(

ABRP is by far and away the best application for long distance travel in an EV if you’re not driving a Tesla.

If you are able to give me an example of a trip I can put it in and let you know what it thinks.

I also use an OBD2 Bluetooth dongle that connects to ABRP to give accurate charge level info to the software.

67032FBB-4953-474D-8186-C4258E95F8D8.jpeg

Last edited:
The onboard SatNav will not plan stops along the route :-(

ABRP is by far and away the best application for long distance travel in an EV if you’re driving a Tesla.

If you are able to give me an example of a trip I can put it in and let you know what it thinks.

I also use an OBD2 Bluetooth dongle that connects to ABRP to give accurate charge level info to the software.

View attachment 9691
Perhaps a daft couple of questions, but have you had any issue with the dongle draining the 12v, or do you take it out when you're leaving the car overnight? And does ABRP display like this via CarPlay/AAuto or are you using some other device?

Perhaps a daft couple of questions, but have you had any issue with the dongle draining the 12v, or do you take it out when you're leaving the car overnight? And does ABRP display like this via CarPlay/AAuto or are you using some other device?

Not daft at all.

The dongle has no impact on the 12V battery when the car is powered down. I have the module for a few months now and left the car on occasions when on holiday with no problems when returning.

I use an Android AI Box that connects to the right hand USB Port. It has an inbuilt SIM Card Slot and Extended Memory Slot.

It basically turns the centre screen into a full Android Tablet and runs all the apps from its own memory. You can download and run just about any Android App, including Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, YouTube, etc.

I use the full Android version of ABPR with subscription and this uses the OBD2 interface as well as live traffic and weather conditions for its calculations.

Using the live SOC, ABRP learns how you drive and recalculates its estimations of range and stops required for any long journey trip.

Not daft at all.

The dongle has no impact on the 12V battery when the car is powered down. I have the module for a few months now and left the car on occasions when on holiday with no problems when returning.

I use an Android AI Box that connects to the right hand USB Port. It has an inbuilt SIM Card Slot and Extended Memory Slot.

It basically turns the centre screen into a full Android Tablet and runs all the apps from its own memory. You can download and run just about any Android App, including Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, YouTube, etc.

I use the full Android version of ABPR with subscription and this uses the OBD2 interface as well as live traffic and weather conditions for its calculations.

Using the live SOC, ABRP learns how you drive and recalculates its estimations of range and stops required for any long journey trip.
I was hoping the inbuilt nav would have that kind of dynamic route planning, but judging by others posts it seems it doesn't, so I've been looking at options for when my car turns up.

Thanks so much for the detailed reply - really helpful!

I was hoping the inbuilt nav would have that kind of dynamic route planning, but judging by others posts it seems it doesn't, so I've been looking at options for when my car turns up.

Using the AI box I don’t bother with wireless CarPlay or Android Auto because all the Apps run natively from the centre screen. I have an unlimited data SIM in the AI Box, so don’t even need to connect it to the phone. If you don’t have the SIM you can use your phone as a hotspot and the AI Box will use that for connection.

I connect the phone to the car using the normal Bluetooth interface, but I do not enable CarPlay (I have an iPhone).

Also, because the phone is not running running CarPlay, I find I can use the onboard charging pad to keep the phone charged. This does not appear to cause a heating of the phone issue when wireless charging.

Sorry to the OP for drifting off topic a bit.

Yes ABRP does display/work on Carplay/AAuto when used with ABRP subscription. If you use an OBD it will also link with that for live data but it is not necessary for ABRP to work.

Another vote for Zapmap or check ABRP.
If you use Bonnet then their app is good.
The Electric Juice card is good as it has no pre authorization fees.
I note that ABRP still shows engie chargers (they are now geniepoint) around West Yorks as being free to use, but free use ended in October 2021...

Yes ABRP does display/work on Carplay/AAuto when used with ABRP subscription. If you use an OBD it will also link with that for live data but it is not necessary for ABRP to work.

Thanks for the clarification. I don’t use CarPlay :)

I think you do lose some some functionality with CarPlay, such as handing to other navigation apps with the route, for example to Waze or Google Maps if they are preferred once the route is calculated.

Last edited:
Not daft at all.

Which OBD dongle are you using?

Not daft at all.

Hey

Not heard of Android AI box before. Which one do you have? Just researching them on Amazon now :)

Just try out AA/Carplay, it probably works for more than 50% of people without any bother, and not for the rest. It seems to depend very much on which phone you have and which cable you use, but even that is not consistent.
I tried all but nothing worked consistently until I bought AAWireless, which so far is working like a dream. You used to have to order on Indiegogo but they now have their own website as well.

or

Not daft at all.

Michael, can I ask what Ai unit you have?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom