Jump Start

I would say in theory - Yes 🙄.
As you are simply using one standard 12 volt battery from one car, to jump start another 12 volt battery on another car ( be it a ICE car).
However, give some consideration to the fact that your EV may not be so tolerant in receiving a power spike from the ICE car when it jumps in to life.
Also, turning over a very cold heavy ICE unit from the battery in your EV could leave you with a flat battery yourself very easily !.
I would steer away from getting into this type of situation personally myself.
I would favour purchasing a 12 volt jumper pack and store it under the drivers seat of your car.
It is then on hand to use on your own car or other people’s car, without compromising your situation.

I jumped one yesterday with no issues. A 1.6 diesel ford focus. I’d be a bit apprehensive to jump anything over 2 litre though.

I would say in theory - Yes 🙄.
As you are simply using one standard 12 volt battery from one car, to jump start another 12 volt battery on another car ( be it a ICE car).
However, give some consideration to the fact that your EV may not be so tolerant in receiving a power spike from the ICE car when it jumps in to life.
Also, turning over a very cold heavy ICE unit from the battery in your EV could leave you with a flat battery yourself very easily !.
I would steer away from getting into this type of situation personally myself.
I would favour purchasing a 12 volt jumper pack and store it under the drivers seat of your car.
It is then on hand to use on your own car or other people’s car, without compromising your situation.
Yes, I keep a jumper pack in the car, bought one after seeing a few people have 12v battery problems. Managed to get one while they were on offer.

Disconnect the +ve on the EV otherwise the voltage drop on the EV's 12V battery will most likely start up the DC-DC converter when the BMS senses the sudden voltage drop.
This could damage the DC-DC converter and possibly other components in the circuit.
It's not like jump starting an Ice to Ice car where you would have your engine running backing up the 12V via the alternator.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 498 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back