Jump Start

I would say in theory - Yes 🙄.
As you are simply using one standard 12 volt battery from one car, to jump start another 12 volt battery on another car ( be it a ICE car).
However, give some consideration to the fact that your EV may not be so tolerant in receiving a power spike from the ICE car when it jumps in to life.
Also, turning over a very cold heavy ICE unit from the battery in your EV could leave you with a flat battery yourself very easily !.
I would steer away from getting into this type of situation personally myself.
I would favour purchasing a 12 volt jumper pack and store it under the drivers seat of your car.
It is then on hand to use on your own car or other people’s car, without compromising your situation.

I jumped one yesterday with no issues. A 1.6 diesel ford focus. I’d be a bit apprehensive to jump anything over 2 litre though.

I would say in theory - Yes 🙄.
As you are simply using one standard 12 volt battery from one car, to jump start another 12 volt battery on another car ( be it a ICE car).
However, give some consideration to the fact that your EV may not be so tolerant in receiving a power spike from the ICE car when it jumps in to life.
Also, turning over a very cold heavy ICE unit from the battery in your EV could leave you with a flat battery yourself very easily !.
I would steer away from getting into this type of situation personally myself.
I would favour purchasing a 12 volt jumper pack and store it under the drivers seat of your car.
It is then on hand to use on your own car or other people’s car, without compromising your situation.
Yes, I keep a jumper pack in the car, bought one after seeing a few people have 12v battery problems. Managed to get one while they were on offer.

Disconnect the +ve on the EV otherwise the voltage drop on the EV's 12V battery will most likely start up the DC-DC converter when the BMS senses the sudden voltage drop.
This could damage the DC-DC converter and possibly other components in the circuit.
It's not like jump starting an Ice to Ice car where you would have your engine running backing up the 12V via the alternator.

I guess you are intending to buy a booster pack ?.
You can use this on all 12 volt battery systems on EV and ICE.
Just been caught out this morning with a totally flat 12 volt battery. Got in the car using the key but the door closed behind me and I couldn't get out. None of the internal door catches or windows would work. Sat there for almost an hour in the sun and almost passed out when a neighbour saw me and came to my help opening the driver's door from outside. Called AA and the guy said the 12 volt battery was completely flat. He charged it up and said he didn't think the battery was at fault as it was holding charge, but that some software was draining the 12 volt battery.
Contacted the dealer and they said that the internal door catch should release the door even with a flat battery. Car is now going in to the dealer for investigation.
Can anyone recommend a good battery booster as I'm not getting caught out again like this. It was terrifying !!

Just been caught out this morning with a totally flat 12 volt battery. Got in the car using the key but the door closed behind me and I couldn't get out. None of the internal door catches or windows would work. Sat there for almost an hour in the sun and almost passed out when a neighbour saw me and came to my help opening the driver's door from outside. Called AA and the guy said the 12 volt battery was completely flat. He charged it up and said he didn't think the battery was at fault as it was holding charge, but that some software was draining the 12 volt battery.
Contacted the dealer and they said that the internal door catch should release the door even with a flat battery. Car is now going in to the dealer for investigation.
Can anyone recommend a good battery booster as I'm not getting caught out again like this. It was terrifying !!
There is plenty to choose from online, this one is a popular choice just to get you started.
Topdon is popular in the trade.
The capacity is more than you require for you to boost your EV - but it will handle boosting large ICE cars as well.
I keep mine stored under the drivers seat.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Sat there for almost an hour in the sun and almost passed out
It's worth learning how to operate the emergency boot release for this situation. At least 3 of the cars I've had have had a way of exiting the boot from inside, but don't know if it is a requirement on all vehicles.

Look up emergency tailgate opening in the manual. You will need either the key blade hidden inside the fob or a suitable sized screwdriver kept in the vehicle somewhere.

I would practise getting over the seats and into the boot in benign conditions as it is not easy for everybody, and you may prefer to sit it out in a real situation.

Contacted the dealer and they said that the internal door catch should release the door even with a flat battery.
The problem here is the MG4 seems to deadlock even when locked from the inside sometimes. When deadlocked I think you are not supposed to be able to open from the inside to meet the Thatcham security requirements - or I might have made that up 🤔.

To make it worse I think the alarm goes off if you try and the battery is not flat.

It's worth learning how to operate the emergency boot release for this situation. At least 3 of the cars I've had have had a way of exiting the boot from inside, but don't know if it is a requirement on all vehicles.

Look up emergency tailgate opening in the manual. You will need either the key blade hidden inside the fob or a suitable sized screwdriver kept in the vehicle somewhere.

I would practise getting over the seats and into the boot in benign conditions as it is not easy for everybody, and you may prefer to sit it out in a real situation.
I am nearly 73 years old with mobility issues and there is no way I would be able to climb over the seats to get to the boot. I couldn't even get out from under the steering wheel as my driver's seat is electric and would not move.
The dealer said that even though there is no power the driver's door should release from the inside.
They are going to check the door latch to see if there is a problem with it.
Not what you'd expect on a £35,000 car, is it !!

DVLA had MG issue a recall to stop the previous lock-in problem. From reading this Forum - 'Locked in ...' thread from 01/11/2022 - the issue related to not being able to open a door even when powered up. Access from the outside was also stopped. It seemed this was related to the deadlock/alarm system. Again, if I remember correctly, the solution was only a software upgrade. However deadlocking as an anti-theft protection still meant you could not unlock the car from the inside if the car had been electronically locked. (Having broken a window for example.)

Your problem is an extension and of the same importance to my mind because it maybe that the driver's door level is mechanical only if the key fob/button/iSmart electric unlocking has been done which disables the anti-theft/deadlock. Using the emergency key may just allow outside access. I assume your neighbour did not need to use the emergency key again.

Note that if you lock the doors using the inside button or the auto locking feature the car is not deadlocked and doors can be opened from inside.

We need a brave soul plus partner to carry out a trial.

EDIT: Further thought - what occurred must be expected behaviour in that the anti-theft system stops the use of the inside door handle. If disconnecting the 12v battery allowed the doors to open then all a thief has to do is to pull the bonnet lever and get their partner to disconnect the battery. (However since they broke into the car they must have an exit anyway.)

Last edited:
DVLA had MG issue a recall to stop the previous lock-in problem. From reading this Forum - 'Locked in ...' thread from 01/11/2022 - the issue related to not being able to open a door even when powered up. Access from the outside was also stopped. It seemed this was related to the deadlock/alarm system. Again, if I remember correctly, the solution was only a software upgrade. However deadlocking as an anti-theft protection still meant you could not unlock the car from the inside if the car had been electronically locked. (Having broken a window for example.)

Your problem is an extension and of the same importance to my mind because it maybe that the driver's door level is mechanical only if the key fob/button/iSmart electric unlocking has been done which disables the anti-theft/deadlock. Using the emergency key may just allow outside access. I assume your neighbour did not need to use the emergency key again.

Note that if you lock the doors using the inside button or the auto locking feature the car is not deadlocked and doors can be opened from inside.

We need a brave soul plus partner to carry out a trial.

EDIT: Further thought - what occurred must be expected behaviour in that the anti-theft system stops the use of the inside door handle. If disconnecting the 12v battery allowed the doors to open then all a thief has to do is to pull the bonnet lever and get their partner to disconnect the battery. (However since they broke into the car they must have an exit anyway.)
Someone needs to be accountable for this. This is extremely frightening and dangerous. I dread to think what would have happened had it not been for my neighbours son releasing me.

I suggest you vent your feelings to the dealer who may tell MG. The fact that nowhere is there a warning not to close the door is a worry.

I suspect the original thinking was for the situation where the keyfob battery was flat and you needed to get into the car (as in all the videos I've seen) for a new battery (required if the keyfob battery fails whilst you are out). Or you needed to pop the bonnet to access the 12v battery.

MG will probably say that you could exit the car through the boot but, as you say, that is not a proper solution.

I keep a spare PAYG phone in the glove compartment along with a hammer and battery booster in the centre storage.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 522 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 48 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back