just a thought - cable storage

vini

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
would it be possible to remove the puncture repair kit and use the space for the ev cable? would the cable fit in the space?

I'm in a position where, should we have a puncture I would be unable to do anything and would either limp to a garage or call a breakdown service for a tyre change / repair, so a puncture repair kit is useless for me. From what I've read it's not a legal requirement to carry one.

would it be possible to remove the puncture repair kit and use the space for the ev cable? would the cable fit in the space?

I'm in a position where, should we have a puncture I would be unable to do anything and would either limp to a garage or call a breakdown service for a tyre change / repair, so a puncture repair kit is useless for me. From what I've read it's not a legal requirement to carry one.
I think you can remove the shaped packaging from around the repair kit and there would be room for both.

Someone has already done this - there's a photo in another thread showing this. (The cable in the bag probably won't fit, but the cable itself should).
Do you have a link for the thread showing the photo? I searched "cable storage" and could not find it?

Sorry but I can't easily find it. From memory it looks like the padded foam block is secured by 2 bolts - remove those bolts and the whole block lifts out and leaves a hollow that the cable can fit in to.

Ye this was me who did it yey.... and works well. Put the empty MG bag in my shed.

Fromm a German Forum

DSC_0224_comp.jpg

As a matter of interest, how often to people need to use their own type 2 cable?
Is it mainly for rapid charging?
Personally, as I have a tethered home charger (no ^%$ car yet though) and very rarely do long distances, I think on the rare occasions that I might need to use a rapid charger, I'd just sling it in the boot on top of any luggage. Either that or put it on the back seat (only the two of us).

A type 2 cable is needed for 7/11/22kW charge points - hardly what would be called Rapid. :)

Rapid charge points (50+kW) use the CCS connector and will already be tethered. (Chademo is the other connector type but they aren't compatible with the MG4).

I'm with you ... I have a 7kW tethered charge point at home (but no car yet) and will use that for most charging. (Unless I use a local charge point under Charge Place Scotland while they're still free in which case I'll need a type 2 cable). When out and about I'll either use a rapid (when required) or use a granny lead when visiting friends/family.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 500 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back