Just Cancelled My Order

I think people are being a little overdramatic and maybe a little over-pragmatic.
Its a new platform and an entirely new car, if you want to be an early adopter you have to put up with some niggles.

The ID3 had to sit in a car park for months because the SW wasn't ready, then the £1000 heat pump option was actually making efficiency worse, even now the infotainment crashes. VW could only dream they started with saggy floor panels and an oil leak.
But any stories of them being dangerous or stopping you going somewhere? not heard many. There is too many functional safety requirements and standards for that to be allowed.

Personally, we're waiting 3 months to see if the infotainment improves in responsiveness, because I dont like HVAC on touchscreens and couldn't stand it second guessing my touches. But I wouldn't be cancelling my order if i had one because of this oil leak and needing to do checks when i bought the car, even when you pay £500k+ on a new house you'll end up with a snagging list, and a house is nowhere near as complicated as a modern EV.

This oil leak will be found and fixed in a recall, i would bet its either a bad seal supplied for the production units, or a bung is being left in on the PDI and causing the transmission unit to blow out of the breather.

But if you want to cancel thats your prerogative, the dealer probably has 5 people waiting for that build slot anyway so they wont care too much.

What I would say to those who haven’t yet cancelled is that the reason you have a list of things to look for is more down to the quality of the community here than the car.

All new cars have a bunch of issues in the first batch, especially in software. This is common. But most of the time people just don’t know and are oblivious when ordering.

Most of these issues are minor and don’t affect the usage of the car. The exception is the oil leak because it is taking cars off the road. But even there many manufacturers have had serious issues such as wheels falling off, safety recalls and more shortly after launch.

If you don’t want a car with issues like this, buy something that had been on sale for 2 years. It won’t be the latest and greatest but it will be debugged.

MG do need to respond on the oil leak soon and clarify the causes and if there will be a recall. If they don’t, more will cancel.
Spot on, I think MG could ease consumer confidence by issuing a one-line statement. The uncertainty is what breads rumors.

Sorry to hear your cancelling your order. I've had mg MG4 Trophy for 2 weeks, driven just short of a 1000 miles, and apart from software update to the infotainment system, it's been flawless and is a fantastic car to drive.
It hasn't suffered from any of the issue mentioned here. And according to my dealer nor have any of the other cars that they sold. I'd suggest/hope that the faults are in a very small minority of vehicles not the majority. Hopefully those with faults will be rectified soon.

Sorry to hear your cancelling your order. I've had mg MG4 Trophy for 2 weeks, driven just short of a 1000 miles, and apart from software update to the infotainment system, it's been flawless and is a fantastic car to drive.
It hasn't suffered from any of the issue mentioned here. And according to my dealer nor have any of the other cars that they sold. I'd suggest/hope that the faults are in a very small minority of vehicles not the majority. Hopefully those with faults will be rectified soon.
Thanks for the information, I am happy for you that you have no problems.
I totally understand that this may well be a minority of cars, maybe even just 100 from the initial shipment of a thousand or so but I've been sufficiently scared off continuing with the purchase by the reports of the various problems encountered by the owners so far.

I decided to take a look at the MG4 today and take a drive.
what a great little car! I drove the trophy and was very surprised how well it drives. I also had a good look around the car at build quality, trim fit etc. It all looked pretty good to me.
I also had a long chat with the dealership sales staff. They had not heard of oil leak issues and have now sold quite a few of this model - they also said that feedback so far has not included many issues. I know that they may just say this, but it seemed a genuine conversation. My initial impression is that MG have really got it right this time with the MG4.

They had not heard of oil leak issues and have now sold quite a few of this model - they also said that feedback so far has not included many issues. I know that they may just say this, but it seemed a genuine conversation. My initial impression is that MG have really got it right this time with the MG4.
I'm in this group, and one other Facebook MG group.... there have been dozens of reports of this issue...and that's just the people in those groups who have bothered to post, so I think we have to assume it's a wide-spread issue.

By now, every MG dealership in the country should have received communication from MG UK about it. If they haven't, that's very poor.

I'm in this group, and one other Facebook MG group.... there have been dozens of reports of this issue...and that's just the people in those groups who have bothered to post, so I think we have to assume it's a wide-spread issue.

By now, every MG dealership in the country should have received communication from MG UK about it. If they haven't, that's very poor.
Excellent revelation, Thanks for the information !

That’s a shame people are having problems. Have you got to the bottom of what the leak is and the cause/solution?

Oh ok. With dozens of reports I would expect more information to have surfaced on the cause and solution by now. Hopefully it can be sorted soon.

There will have to be a recall, because most owners are not on MG forums and some will be blissfully unaware driving around leaking oil, which isn’t going to end well.
Guess the film this came from "Take the number of vehicles in the field, A, multiply by the probable rate of failure, B, multiply by the average out-of-court settlement, C. A times B times C equals X. If X is less than the cost of a recall, we don't do one. Woman on Plane : Are there a lot of these kinds of accidents?"

MG UK - It fine just overfill - once its below the max level - its all good again

My MG4 is at my dealers - rather frustrating as at the moment the dealer is unable to register it into their delivery systems and I cannot book a handover. Anyway, I took the opportunity to ask about some of the more serious issues being reported and rather encouragingly was assured that My Dealer (and I am sure others) are actively monitoring the forums and picking up on the issues being reported and thoroughly checking their cars before handover for any issues.

Problem I am buying my MG4 from Chorley some 230miles away! I would not trust my local dealer to clean my car let alone do any warranty work, so if there is an oil problem my nearest other dealer is 35miles would they carry out the warranty work? would they supply a loan car probably not, think I need to speak to Chorley re oil problem, hopefully the car will be checked before I collect,
Just phoned Chorley spoke to one of the sales guys I asked if he heard about the oil leak problem, he said he had, and they will be checking, but he was also aware that looks like the problem only happens after a couple of hundred miles, also on Facebook a dealer said its certain vin numbers hope this is correct so they can be recalled.

But even there many manufacturers have had serious issues such as wheels falling off, safety recalls and more shortly after launch.
The wheels didn't actually fall off though did they, they put a recall in and stopped the cars being driven. You have to ask whether any other manufacturer would have done the same thing, or would it have been covered up and not dealt with in the same way.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 499 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back