Just ordered an MG4! First BEV

Bridub

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Evening all! Just put a deposit down today for an EV4 in the Trophy LR (Exclusive LR trim level here in Ireland) in Black! It will be my first full EV coming from a 2021 Seat Leon PHEV and I have to say the drive is great, especially that instant torque!

I also have my eye on the Astra Electric which should be available to order in March, so if the spec/price looks good on that I may transfer my deposit over to one of those.

Anyway, just thought I'd introduce myself, as the car should be due for delivery mid-late June for a July reg date and I've already gotten some good upgrade tips from here already, there's definitely a black mg badge going on the front! Next job will be wiring in the dashcam and working out if I can hardwire LED strip lights for under the seats to a fuse for the headlights so they only come on at night!

Keep your fingers crossed the build issues or gremlins don't get into my one rolling off the line! :)

I ordered in Linders in Finglas, a friend ordered in October, got hers 7th Jan, I went in late Jan and he said he could have me in one in early March, 4 weeks later its now July! He sold 14 on one saturday alone!

Yeah, my dealership (Frank Keane) had over 120 orders on the first of December. I am keeping fingers, toes and eyes crossed that the car arrives in March/April. We'll see.

I too have my first BEV, an MG4 SE SR. So far we are delighted with it.
My previous car was a Ford Fiesta top of the range. But the MG4 even SE has orders of magnitude more Tec and is much better equipt. And drives much better.

For interior lighting check out:

For interior lighting check out:

Thanks for those! Will definitely be back for some advice on getting of the 12v socket to a fuse socked.

I have to say the MG4 is about the best looking car out this year, I love the front splitter with the little carbon fibre effect accents on it

According to page 277 of the owners manual they're not. They are listed as WY21W 21W.
Thanks for that...looks like I'll be trying to replace those too! I cant see any cost saving in using old bulbs on the interior or exterior, an LED probably costs 10 cent each when bulk ordered...hardly going to add on the MSRP of the car!

Thanks for that...looks like I'll be trying to replace those too! I cant see any cost saving in using old bulbs on the interior or exterior, an LED probably costs 10 cent each when bulk ordered...hardly going to add on the MSRP of the car!
Bear in mind that modern cars have lamp fail detection- if you dont fit something compatible you will get warning messages

Bear in mind that modern cars have lamp fail detection- if you dont fit something compatible you will get warning messages
Had those issues on an old Audi I had, from looking at the current led’s they all have canbus error correction in them, not guaranteed to work though but worth a try.

Guess the license plate bulbs will need to be done too!

Had those issues on an old Audi I had, from looking at the current led’s they all have canbus error correction in them, not guaranteed to work though but worth a try.

Guess the license plate bulbs will need to be done too!

I can understand replacing the interior ones but I'm just wondering why you are replacing the exterior bulbs with LEDs?

The rules relate to headlights.
No, all exterior lights. It is a stupid rule but it is true.

"Retrofitting is when you replace a standard bulb with an LED version. At the moment, it’s completely road legal for you to replace an internal bulb with an LED bulb. However, there’s no legislation to cover retrofitting external facing light sources and therefore LED exterior bulbs in this instance are not road legal."

It is a gap in the law that they have failed to plug. I am not saying it is likely to be detected or cause a problem.

Last edited:
No, all exterior lights. It is a stupid rule but it is true.

"Retrofitting is when you replace a standard bulb with an LED version. At the moment, it’s completely road legal for you to replace an internal bulb with an LED bulb. However, there’s no legislation to cover retrofitting external facing light sources and therefore LED exterior bulbs in this instance are not road legal."

It is a gap in the law that they have failed to plug. I am not saying it is likely to be detected or cause a problem.
I retrofitted my BMW i3 with LEDs for high beam. Passed two MOTs with them, they didn’t seem to be concerned as long as they were correctly levelled.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 540 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back