Keyless start? Anyone got it working?

Can you clarify what you mean by "keyless start"? Do you mean "having the phone in the car with you but not the physical key"? (And I think this is a Trophy-only feature - I can't see it for me in the iSMART app).

Remote unlock and preheat works OK for me.

It should allow unlock, lock and start according to all the online stuff. It is described on a YouTube video as am emergency key????

Yip in app, my profile, digital key, activate key followed by security pin then connect.

Has anyone got it working without the key present in the software buggy MG4?

Just done a test using the Digital Key ... I can unlock/lock the car via the phone when close enough for Bluetooth to connect. The Keyless Start feature is pointless as there isn't anything to start - you just get in the car and press the brake pedal and the system goes to the Ready state. (Pressing the button gives me a Success message but nothing actually happens).

So it looks like the SE SR also supports the Digital Key. (Unless the car was somehow picking up the signal from the real key even though it was in a room at the back of the house).

To be clear on the Trophy atleast you should be able to unlock and lock the car via the app with no key.

Start the car with no physical key

Also share your key with when you're not around for them to start the car.

SmartSelect_20221201_204034_MG iSMART.jpg

Just done a test using the Digital Key ... I can unlock/lock the car via the phone when close enough for Bluetooth to connect. The Keyless Start feature is pointless as there isn't anything to start - you just get in the car and press the brake pedal and the system goes to the Ready state. (Pressing the button gives me a Success message but nothing actually happens).

So it looks like the SE SR also supports the Digital Key. (Unless the car was somehow picking up the signal from the real key even though it was in a room at the back of the house).
So you could put your car in a ready state and drive it without the key?

I can unlock it from that screen above but it wont put it into a ready state so i can drive it just says put key into manual position and smart key not detected.

As I posted above, I was able to unlock/lock my SE SR using my phone (once connected via BT). When I sat in the car I was then able to press the brake pedal and the car went to the READY state. (The actual key was in the house, at the back of the house, so probably too far away for the car to see it).

I don't think the Keyless Start has any relevance for the MG4 - not sure on that though. Maybe I'd used that feature and that's why the car allowed the READY state. (I didn't try to actually drive it).

OK - test done.

I got close enough to the car for Bluetooth to connect, then unlocked the car via Digital Key (DK).
I spent a couple of mins swiping the windows (with the driver's door closed) so the Infotainment screen closed down.
I got in the car and got a message of Digital Key Not Detected.
I used the DK to "start" the car and then pressed the foot brake - the screens came up and the driver screen showed READY.
I went for a drive along the end of the street and back - all OK.
I then used the DK to lock the car.

So my testing shows that the SE SR supports the DK and you can unlock, get in and drive away - all without having a physical key with you.

OK - test done.

I got close enough to the car for Bluetooth to connect, then unlocked the car via Digital Key (DK).
I spent a couple of mins swiping the windows (with the driver's door closed) so the Infotainment screen closed down.
I used the DK to "start" the car and then pressed the foot brake - the screens came up and the driver screen showed READY.

So my testing shows that the SE SR supports the DK and you can unlock, get in and drive away - all without having a physical key with you.
Thanks for the update.

Doesnt work for me in the Trophy. Can anyone else try with a Trophy?

I walked to the car, it connected via bluetooth.
I pressed unlock on the app.
Sat in the car.
Pressed the brake and says smart key not detected.

I then did the same but sat in the car... pressed the digital key start button, it says success.... but then I press the brake pedal and says the same.

It says put the key into a manual position, and then smart key not detected.

No idea why it won't work.

🤷‍♂️ The weird thing is - I don't recall the digital key being a feature offered on the SE, yet it works perfectly on mine.

OK - test done.

that's good new, I only tried this morning for locking and unlocking the car.
The DK screen on app shows connected which means it connected via BT.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 506 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back