Keyless start? Anyone got it working?

Thanks for the update.

Doesnt work for me in the Trophy. Can anyone else try with a Trophy?

I walked to the car, it connected via bluetooth.
I pressed unlock on the app.
Sat in the car.
Pressed the brake and says smart key not detected.

I then did the same but sat in the car... pressed the digital key start button, it says success.... but then I press the brake pedal and says the same.

It says put the key into a manual position, and then smart key not detected.

No idea why it won't work.
Same on my Trophy works the locks, hit start stop in the app, states success but pressing the break and just get key not present.

🤷‍♂️ The weird thing is - I don't recall the digital key being a feature offered on the SE, yet it works perfectly on mine.
Yes, you are right.
But we have it on SE.

Attachments

• BT key.JPG
    BT key.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 228
We can get to Ready on the Trophy, using the digital key, but haven't driven the car.

We can get to Ready on the Trophy, using the digital key, but haven't driven the car.
Ok that's for rulling that out, so I'm now thinking it's a software version be that iSmart, infotainment or other module then.
I have iSmart on Android v1.1.8 and infotainment R30 who knows the other modules 🙂

Ok that's for rulling that out, so I'm now thinking it's a software version be that iSmart, infotainment or other module then.
I have iSmart on Android v1.1.8 and infotainment R30 who knows the other modules 🙂
We know the software is different between SE and Trophy, so probably they have different bugs - that would explain why there are a lot of issues where some people report a problem and others say it is fine.

Going forward I think we need to log the trim and software version alongside every problem report.

Trouble with SW version is we only have that for iSmart app and the infotainment as I understand, all the other modules only dealers have access to.
We have 1 SE and 1 Trophy with it working, I'm sure if @Gem10 gets the ready screen it's quite sure it will move ok, I don't get that.

Tried today, the Bluetooth key is working on SE SR.
I can drive the car only with my mobile.
Here is what you need, make sure it says connected.
Then press unlock to unlock the car, the car will say no key in the car when sit on seat.
All you need to do is press the START button before apply the brake paddle, and you can drive away as normal.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221202_135348.jpg
    Screenshot_20221202_135348.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:
Tried today, the Bluetooth key is working on SE SR.
I can drive the car only with my mobile.
Here is what you need, make sure it says connected.
Then press unlock to unlock the car, the car will say no key in the car when sited on seat.
All you need to do is press the START button before apply the brake paddle, and you can drive away as normal.
Yep exactly what I did, stayed connected but no dice wrt car going to ready

At the risk of being shouted down for getting the wrong end of the stick and for clarity of anyone reading this thread who is yet to be the keeper of an MG4. I think I'd class this feature as a useful extra but not a substitute to the regular key - useful especially if the key was elsewhere and I just wanted access to or move the car a few feet. But it's far less convenient than having the key for everyday use as I had to:

• Approach the sleeping / locked car, take out mobile, start the iSmart app
  • Tap menu, top left
  • Tap My Profile
  • Tap Digital Key
  • Now at this point the screen showed Bluetooth disconnected, but the above step can initiate connection, I had to tap connect
  • Once connected, tap the unlock icon
  • Sit in the car and press the brake peddle
  • Tap Start on the App
  • Move off

As opposed to doing the following with the regular key in my pocket but not toughed touched

• Approach the car and press the button on the drivers handle to unlock the central locking
  • Sit in, foot on brake
  • rotary dial to D
  • Move off

A nice feature and another useful thing I've learnt from this forum.

Yes it's an SE SR White - the cheapest one!

Last edited:
At the risk of being shouted down for getting the wrong end of the stick and for clarity of anyone reading this thread who is yet to be the keeper of an MG4. I think I'd class this feature as a useful extra but not a substitute to the regular key - useful especially if the key was elsewhere and I just wanted access to or move the car a few feet. But it's far less convenient than having the key for everyday use as I had to:

• Approach the sleeping / locked car, take out mobile, start the iSmart app
  • Tap menu, top left
  • Tap My Profile
  • Tap Digital Key
  • Now at this point the screen showed Bluetooth disconnected, but the above step can initiate connection, I had to tap connect
  • Once connected, tap the unlock icon
  • Sit in the car and press the brake peddle
  • Tap Start on the App
  • Move off

As opposed to doing the following with the regular key in my pocket but not toughed

• Approach the car and press the button on the drivers handle to unlock the central locking
  • Sit in, foot on brake
  • rotary dial to D
  • Move off

A nice feature and another useful thing I've learnt from this forum.

Yes it's an SE SR White - the cheapest one!
Agreed. The last thing I want is my phone as the key and then it randomly stops working due to software updates, bugs or my phone is flat.

Keys are rather good solutions. Bit like actual buttons to do things in the car… they don’t need reinventing, it is already an optimal solution.

I feel the same about this as I do about wireless CarPlay/Auto… lots of hassle and expense to make it wireless when plugging the thing in is so easy and the phone is going to sit there anyway.

I know some folks find these things essential but for me they are just sources of bugs and frustration.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 512 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back