Keyless start? Anyone got it working?

I went phone-only for payments and it was great not having to carry a wallet.

Then one day I was in Plymouth and drove into a car park advertising card payments - turned out they only accepted cash and not contactless. No app available.

When I came to leave, I could not pay. No problem I thought, there’ll be someone to help me. But no, car park is now unmanned and the council phone number only operates 9-5 Mon-Fri and it was Saturday.

“Never fear!”, I thought, I’ll walk into town and get some money out. But then none of the shops would give me cash without a card. “Not a problem” I thought, the bank is open on Saturday mornings.

45 minutes later the bank told me they couldn’t give me cash without ID and my phone wasn’t an approved form of ID and then they told me they don’t have access to the cash safe on a Saturday…

Eventually I got out of the car park by driving to the emergency barrier and pressing the emergency button and persuading them to let me go.

Since then I always take my wallet with my phone, even though I almost always pay on the phone.
I am phone only for payments mostly, but I always have a wallet on me just in case I need my ID for whatever reason. I have also had instances where a shops card reader for some reason hasn't liked my phones contactless, and I have even started to carry a small amount of cash around as you will inevitably get the shop that is having an issue with their card machine and as a result are cash only. I do however only park my car in a car park where I can use an app as I very rarely have change on me. If the car park takes card and their card machine is broken, well unfortunately I am getting free parking there as that is a them problem :) successfully argued this on multiple occasions too, even a couple that resulted in them giving me a fine where I successfully argued that I came prepared with a means to pay that they normally accept and due to technical issues on the day YOU were unable to take my only payment method, tickets overturned.

I am phone only for payments mostly, but I always have a wallet on me just in case I need my ID for whatever reason. I have also had instances where a shops card reader for some reason hasn't liked my phones contactless, and I have even started to carry a small amount of cash around as you will inevitably get the shop that is having an issue with their card machine and as a result are cash only. I do however only park my car in a car park where I can use an app as I very rarely have change on me. If the car park takes card and their card machine is broken, well unfortunately I am getting free parking there as that is a them problem :) successfully argued this on multiple occasions too, even a couple that resulted in them giving me a fine where I successfully argued that I came prepared with a means to pay that they normally accept and due to technical issues on the day YOU were unable to take my only payment method, tickets overturned.
Yes, normally I do the same but this was one time I didn’t check in advance. To be fair to the car park though, they didn’t charge me for my parking, they just said “don’t worry about it, pay next time”, probably wouldn’t have got that attitude from a non-council private car park.

If this was a private car park then they operators probably decided you were more trouble than their time was worth.

The legal position (under contract law) is that if there is a requirement to pay for parking, the payment is to be made up-front, and you are unable to do so (even if the reason is their fault), then you should vacate the car park - failure of a payment mechanism does not make the contract void, and by remaining you became liable under the contract terms.

If the payment method was to be pay on exit, and their failure to facilitate payment caused the problem, then it could be construed that the contract was frustrated as the consumer wouldn't have been aware of the issue with the payment mechanism until after the parking period.

If this was a private car park then they operators probably decided you were more trouble than their time was worth.

The legal position (under contract law) is that if there is a requirement to pay for parking, the payment is to be made up-front, and you are unable to do so (even if the reason is their fault), then you should vacate the car park - failure of a payment mechanism does not make the contract void, and by remaining you became liable under the contract terms.

If the payment method was to be pay on exit, and their failure to facilitate payment caused the problem, then it could be construed that the contract was frustrated as the consumer wouldn't have been aware of the issue with the payment mechanism until after the parking period.
I am aware of the legal position which is why my cases have always been successful. I almost always use pay on exit car parks for this reason. and if a pay and display machine isn't working then I take a picture of it in case of the company trying to fine me when their way to pay was broken. As you state under contract law you are agreeing to pay (sometimes upfront) the amount stated for the time you wish to park, I always agree to pay the amount stated, whether they have the ability to take my money or not is their problem. I am always obliging to pay at a later date if they so wish, none have asked me to do so in a dispute to date, they usually go for the fine or nothing hoping that people won't challenge it. This is why more and more car parks are moving towards app/online payment alongside pay and display and pay on exit, gives people more opportunity to be able to pay when one method is unavailable.

When you share the key, what physically happens? What does the recipient receive and how do they use it? Do they need the iSMART app?

(Just curious as to what the Share means in reality).

The recipient needs to download the iSmart app and register using the email. No need to bind the car.

The owner needs to enter the registered email of the recipient in the "Share Key" section of their app. They can set things like the time period for the sharing and whether it is just to lock/unlock or also drive.

Once this saved, the recipient will receive an email confirmation and the digital key will appear in the recipient's app.

Screenshot shots from the recipient's app:

Screenshot_20221204-153115_MG iSMART.jpg

My Profile then Digital Key.

Screenshot_20221204-152939_MG iSMART.jpg

Note "period of validity" at the bottom.

Sorry if I am being stupid but you say they register using their own email and password...does that mean you have to invite them because I don't understand how their registration is linked to the existing account?

Sorry if I am being stupid but you say they register using their own email and password...does that mean you have to invite them because I don't understand how their registration is linked to the existing account?
It's not - they create their own account with MG, despite not having an MG car. When the DK is shared with them then they are able to use the other person's car on the basis that the DK was shared.

Sorry I was not clear.
@siteguru is correct.

The recipient downloads the iSmart app on their phone and registers using their own email and password. If the "bind your car" pop up appears, then just cancel it.

Hope that helps. Do ask if you need more details.

No, ta. I was just confused re other ismart app functionality when sharing. Purely dk makes sense as opposed to full ismart functionality given only one account is linked directly to the car. Correct me if my understanding is still incorrect...🤦‍♂️

Question - does the phone to which the DK is shared have to have already been paired with the car?

Pretty good really.... I wonder why mine doesn't work then. Possibly needs a software update as ive not had one.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 511 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back