Lane Keep Assist feature

First drive to work after car delivered yesterday- a mix of country roads and dual carriageway. LKA did kick in once but was very gentle so I’m going to try to live with it for now.
Speed sign recognition can get in the bin though 🤣
You might have a car with a softer version if lka which apparently exists now. If you get the full blown lka you will know all about it. It's not just a gentle nudge or rumble but a full steering wheel lock in a direction you don't want to go in and no amount of force exerted by you on steering wheel will overcome it. Granted it is only for a fraction of a second and it only turns wheels a degree or two but imagine this happening every minute or two on damp roads. The car becomes undriveable.

The left star button can controll regen, I set mine up that way because that stupid acc does not have it's own regen setting but uses the one we set in the main display. So I mostly like to drive in regen 3 mode but the acc is very harsh in that mode, so I switch to adaptive when using acc.
Only in the Trophy I believe, not the SE. Goodness only knows why MG decided control over a particular shortcut should be a ‘premium’ feature…

Only in the Trophy I believe, not the SE. Goodness only knows why MG decided control over a particular shortcut should be a ‘premium’ feature…

I don't think that's what it is. As someone else pointed out, the software for the two versions is so different they probably have different teams working on them. They thus have different bugs. The Trophy has some bug the SE doesn't have. I think this, and things like the USB stick not recognising folders and the automatic lock not being able to be turned off, are simply bugs in the SE software, not deliberate punishment for not shelling out for leather seats and ugly spoilers.

I'd settle for LKA to be switchable from one of the ⭐ buttons on the wheel, on all models.

Personally I favour one of the volume buttons, but someone else said that these buttons are needed in some particular circumstance. Whatever, it needs a physical, immediate off button.

Considering that the manual tells you to turn LKA off "immediately" if it does something non-standard like following a wheel rut instead of a white line, they really need to provide a way to do that. It's impossible to go through all these screens on a touchscreen while the car is trying to run you into the hedge.

Said this before, but here goes again.

The manual for the car states clearly that the LKA may function incorrectly on a road with poor lane markings, or with no markings at all, where it may latch on to a rut or something like that and steer the car in an unwanted direction. That's fair warning! It then goes on to say that in that situation it should be turned off IMMEDIATELY. Bold type and italics and so on. Again, fair warning.

The problem is that it's impossible to do this. Tap on the car icon. Tap on MG Pilot. Tap on the actual deactivate button. Then tap on "yes of course I'm sure you bloody moron!" All with your left hand stretched away from the steering wheel, and having to look carefully at the infotainment screen to make sure you tap the right bit. Which can be kind of hard in a moving car. In a moving car which is actively trying to steer you into the ditch it's downright suicidal.

In order to avoid encountering this scenario, the only recourse is to turn the damn LKA off when you start the car. Routinely. Thus absolutely negating any safety advantage it might offer on better roads.

The answer is to provide a physical one-button off/on switch for the LKA that can be accessed quickly and easily if the thing is playing up. The two volume switches on the centre console are a waste of space because everybody controls the stereo volume from the right joystick. Programme one to switch the LKA off, and the other to switch the fog lights on (the other situation where you have to stab at a touchscreen in a very awkward position to do something you have to do while driving), and we'd be sorted.
Totally agree!

I'v just taken delivery of the MG4 Trophy and am very happy besides the LKA. After turning it off I would drive around and find now and then the LKA would turn itself back on ! I've just worked out why it does this and doesn't stay off. If you have your headlights on Auto when you go under a tree ie a big shadow over the car sensor the lights turn on and so does the LKA, so set the lights to anything but Auto and the LKA will stay in the state that you ask it too. Simple fix but took a bit of head scratching to sort it out. :cool:
Really? Sorry for being sceptical but I'll give it a try. 🙃

Really? Sorry for being sceptical but I'll give it a try. 🙃

Two things. First, it doesn't seem to be the lights as such, it seems to be the infotainment screen switching between light and dark modes, which it will only do if you have that setting on auto. So best to keep the screen fixed on one mode, and only change it manually if you want to.

Second, if your lights are coming on every time you drive into the shadow of a tree on a sunny day, you need to get the cover off the light sensor ASAP.

Two things. First, it doesn't seem to be the lights as such, it seems to be the infotainment screen switching between light and dark modes, which it will only do if you have that setting on auto. So best to keep the screen fixed on one mode, and only change it manually if you want to.

Second, if your lights are coming on every time you drive into the shadow of a tree on a sunny day, you need to get the cover off the light sensor ASAP.

Have you gone for the drilled holes fix?
You’re not just literally driving around with a ‘hole’ in the dash are you?
The drill holes in the cover are a bit Heath Robinson, but better than a clearly missing cover…

When I first removed the cover I covered it with a piece of polythene held down with super-clear (light resistant) Sellotape. That was fine for a few days, but now it looks like this.

1686060713187.png

I cut a piece from a clear document holder to fit the inside of the top of the cover, and tried to fix it in place with Superglue. Not sure how well that worked, but it seems OK for now.

I may need to get something a bit heavier-gauge to cover the holes, and find a better way to fix it, but I don't think much dust will get in the way it is now.

Well after just reading that published 08/2020
There any chance of anything changing LOL
Les
Properly absolutely not , but it does show the direction we are heading and the fact that owners/drivers are low down on the list of the consulted and our opinions, experiences count for nothing. Think, mushrooms, dark, bullsh..t. We are the Guinea pigs for the future .

I can confirm if the infotainment screen is set to either light or dark and not auto, the LKA will stay in the off state.
Sorry Annaka, I can't quite remember the original post. So are you saying when using cruise control it (LKA), stays off when set in the off position before setting off to drive? My experience is that LKA switches on when cruise control is used.
(What number was your post?)

The earlier post was that LKA was turned off before setting out, but at some point it turned itself back on. The above post was confirmation that the auto theme change on the Infotainment display was the trigger for LKA turning back on (without the driver making any effort to do this).

That's a software bug.

Another of many. Now I have the light sensor working properly I was thinking of switching the infotainment display mode to auto, but I think I'll carry on with what I've been doing. Choose which I want when I set off, depending on the time of day, and leave it like that.

Well, been driving Trophy now for two weeks since it was back to dealers for lka software update after written complaint to MG. I've kept it on all this time. Definitely not as severe as before but still an unessary distraction I could do without but I suppose I can live with it. Will still be turning it off for journeys on rural roads with narrow lanes though as my blood pressure rises whenever a vehicle passes in opposing direction. Hopefully a hack will appear sometime soon for a permanent switch off.

I had my worst experience so far with LKA this week. One side of dual carriageway closed so all traffic split on one side with cones in the middle.
So one lane each, clear road markings and traffic cones between the lanes.
LKA persistently pulling aggressively to the right, into the cones.
Beep - LKA activates - I steer back - repeat. Non stop.
So had to deactivate the thing one-handed while also engaged in battle with LKA.
No way to stop, God knows what the driver behind was thinking :LOL:

Well, been driving Trophy now for two weeks since it was back to dealers for lka software update after written complaint to MG. I've kept it on all this time. Definitely not as severe as before but still an unessary distraction I could do without but I suppose I can live with it. Will still be turning it off for journeys on rural roads with narrow lanes though as my blood pressure rises whenever a vehicle passes in opposing direction. Hopefully a hack will appear sometime soon for a permanent switch off.
It is something I have always turned off on the last 2 cars I have had . As a safety feature it is not necessary, if you can't drive on the right side of the road (the left side.😄) Then you shouldn't be driving.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 485 79.0%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 83 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back