Leaving the charging cable outside plugged in.

Have you checked to see if your charger got an option for locking the cable in?

I know my does, so most of the time it have spent locked to it, and I bring it on longer drives, and when it crept below -15 I did take it along too, just in case.

I know my does, so most of the time it have spent locked to it, and I bring it on longer drives, and when it crept below -15 I did take it along too, just in case.
There is a app for the charger since it's a network connected "smart charger". I haven't used any of the so-called smart functions. The only lock function I see seems to be related to user lock....IE authorization of user.

There is a app for the charger since it's a network connected "smart charger". I haven't used any of the so-called smart functions. The only lock function I see seems to be related to user lock....IE authorization of user.
I just went into the site for the charger and read up a bit. Of course there is a cable lock function in the app! Thanks for pushing me to investigate a bit!

Hi, there and greetings from Norway!

Here is my black beauty on the day I picked it up from the dealership
View attachment 1109I have a home charger installed and here is my question:

Is it a bad idea to leave the charging cable plugged into the charger permanently rather than lugging it in and out of the boot when I need to charge? The charger came with a "hook" to have the cable coiled over, so it wouldn't be laying on the ground at all. I'm just worried about damp getting in past the rubber protector and ruining the cable or causing a short. I'm not concerned that someone will steal the cable by the way.
I bought a small waterproof garden box, I just sit it next to the wall charger, when I'm finished I just disconnect it and put it in the box, it has had a good test with heavy rain and snow and works perfectly

Good idea. I've gone back to putting the cable in the boot each time. The rubber seal on the car end was evidently not so tight as to keep out water. Too bad!

I bought a small waterproof garden box, I just sit it next to the wall charger, when I'm finished I just disconnect it and put it in the box, it has had a good test with heavy rain and snow and works perfectly
Good idea. I've gone back to putting the cable in the boot each time. The rubber seal on the car end was evidently not so tight as to keep out water. Too bad!
You can buy a holder to fix to a wall from ebay for £6+ . Pull ot out of the car and into the holder.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom