Left shortcut button forgetful

cyberster

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Anyone with an SE version find they program the left star button, with drive mode, then find on next start up nothing has been saved. Right star button remembers the selection.

what version infotainment?
On my SE SR I can only choose quick access menu or Android auto/CarPlay with the left star button.
Can’t choose drive mode for either of the star buttons.

MY23 with later Infotainment adds drive mode and regen to the options on an SE (so I believe).

Might be something that's worth having if they release that for earlier models and manage not to bugger up existing functions at the same time.

While we're at it, my phone button (top right) doesn't seem to be doing a damn thing, and yet I have some memory of it working in the past. Any enlightenment?

Might be something that's worth having if they release that for earlier models and manage not to bugger up existing functions at the same time.

While we're at it, my phone button (top right) doesn't seem to be doing a damn thing, and yet I have some memory of it working in the past. Any enlightenment?
Don’t think it works if you phone is wired to use AA/Car play

I don't think the left hand star button issues are confined to the SE! I have a MY23 Trophy, the selectable options are Drive Modes/Energy Recovery/AC/360, same left or right. All the options seem to work except AC on the left star. I tried to set this, but although it brings up the AC pop up display, the joystick does nothing. Guess I'll have to set it on the right star after all. At least until they sort the bug.

I'm actually not keen on the way the AC shortcut from the star button is implemented. I haven't had the car long (loving it so far!) so I'm still getting used to the controls, but I'm forever turning the radio on or retuning it via the joystick instead of scrolling the car info, or vice-versa, so adding yet another function to that side would only confuse me more! And the star button for AC is a "toggled" selection - but there's no way that I can see that you can tell whether it's active or not before you operate the joystick. I think I would prefer it if you had to press the star button, and the controls were active for the AC only whilst the pop up was visible, i.e. a few seconds, then the function was disabled. Am I weird, or would anyone agree with me?

That’s correct.

I don't think the left hand star button issues are confined to the SE! I have a MY23 Trophy, the selectable options are Drive Modes/Energy Recovery/AC/360, same left or right. All the options seem to work except AC on the left star. I tried to set this, but although it brings up the AC pop up display, the joystick does nothing. Guess I'll have to set it on the right star after all. At least until they sort the bug.

I'm actually not keen on the way the AC shortcut from the star button is implemented. I haven't had the car long (loving it so far!) so I'm still getting used to the controls, but I'm forever turning the radio on or retuning it via the joystick instead of scrolling the car info, or vice-versa, so adding yet another function to that side would only confuse me more! And the star button for AC is a "toggled" selection - but there's no way that I can see that you can tell whether it's active or not before you operate the joystick. I think I would prefer it if you had to press the star button, and the controls were active for the AC only whilst the pop up was visible, i.e. a few seconds, then the function was disabled. Am I weird, or would anyone agree with me?
I’ve never waited long enough for the ac popup to disappear tbh to notice this behaviour.

I'm happy with the way it works, I normally just set the temp and auto and leave it to get on with it. So I find it quite simple to select AC, adjust then de select AC.

Thanks. I'm maybe remembering it working when my old phone was only connected through bluetooth.

I'm happy with the way it works, I normally just set the temp and auto and leave it to get on with it. So I find it quite simple to select AC, adjust then de select AC.

As far as I can make out, on the SE you press the star once, the HVAC controls appear, you make your adjustments, then you press the star again to get the controls to go away. Seems logical to me and it works fine. Don't know why anyone would want it any different.

However I have realised that on the Trophy the controls vanish very quickly while you're still adjusting the temp/fan, even without the star button being pressed again, and you're left in the situation where the controls are still affecting temp and fan, but the screen isn't showing you this. They won't return to audio volume until you press the star again, but there's no visual cue for this.

Some Trophy owners say the prefer it this way, God alone knows why, but then a few days ago someone with a new Trophy said theirs works the same way as the SE has always works. Personally I think the vanishing HVAC screen is a Trophy bug, but it's hardly a bit issue.

As far as I can make out, on the SE you press the star once, the HVAC controls appear, you make your adjustments, then you press the star again to get the controls to go away. Seems logical to me and it works fine. Don't know why anyone would want it any different.

However I have realised that on the Trophy the controls vanish very quickly while you're still adjusting the temp/fan, even without the star button being pressed again, and you're left in the situation where the controls are still affecting temp and fan, but the screen isn't showing you this. They won't return to audio volume until you press the star again, but there's no visual cue for this.

Some Trophy owners say the prefer it this way, God alone knows why, but then a few days ago someone with a new Trophy said theirs works the same way as the SE has always works. Personally I think the vanishing HVAC screen is a Trophy bug, but it's hardly a bit issue.
On my Trophy the AC screen flashes back up briefly when you make an adjustment with the right hand buttons, confirming the change that you've made. So you are not making them blindly.

It works just fine, I can see the current settings and then change them with confidence and I can leave the right buttons in AC mode if I want to and still see the satnav map or anything else I want to in CarPlay - which is a benefit over the SE where I would have to cancel the AC mode, look at something else and then re-enable to make further changes.

I have explained this before but god alone knows why you can't wrap your head around this being perfectly good behaviour too.

Yes, the recent behaviour of Trophy updates suggests this is indeed a bug, so I will probably lose it at a future service and I agree it is no biggie.

There's always someone who thinks a bug is a feature!
Standard computer speak:
'The exact origin of the phrase "It's not a bug, it's a feature" is not clear, but it has been used in the software development industry since at least the 1980s. One of the earliest documented instances of the phrase being used in print was in a 1989 issue of the magazine "Datamation", where it was attributed to a software developer named Keith Bostic. However, it is possible that the phrase was in use before this and simply not documented.'

And I was told in my trainee programmer days in the 1970s that 'bug' cane from an engineer finding an insect inside the memory core that was causing an intermittent fault. In those days memory was transitioning from expensive and bulky ferrite ring memory to ICs.

I, too, like the MY22 The Trophy approach to the AC control. It would be nice if the top of the info screen emboldened the AC buttons icons to indicate the mode but I am not unable to not remember what settings I have selected --- yet!

Anyone with an SE version find they program the left star button, with drive mode, then find on next start up nothing has been saved. Right star button remembers the selection.
Just returning back to the original question: Yes I have noticed this, and mine is also set for Drive Mode.

I’m not entirely sure but believe both times it might have been after charging the battery to 100%

(There was a third time, but that was when the software was updated, so might not be unusual for that to happen)

Just returning back to the original question: Yes I have noticed this, and mine is also set for Drive Mode.

I’m not entirely sure but believe both times it might have been after charging the battery to 100%

(There was a third time, but that was when the software was updated, so might not be unusual for that to happen)
I didn't connect the dots. Yes your right, charge to 100% (default) and it forgets. So the car has early onset memory loss as well. What a car😆

Ah thank you, mine has this 'quirk' too and it was after 100% yesterday. I'll maybe keep an eye on that.

I also had the traffic sign recognition switch itself off the other day which was a new one.

There's always someone who thinks a bug is a feature!
Since a recent set of updates on my Trophy the left star button - set to 360 - activates the AC screen first. I have to wait for it to disappear before I get the desired display which I can see is opened behind. Really annoying.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 516 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 87 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back