LFP vs Ternary Lithium battery?

Snow

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Does anyone know is the Ternary lithium battery that SAIC use any safer than other manufacturers Ternary Lithium batteries or are they all pretty much the same?
Do the SAIC batteries used in the MG5, MG ZS have a good reputation?
LFP batteries seem to be getting a lot of attention lately which we would prefer but we also prefer the longer range option which is only the Ternary Lithium version.
Thanks

Do the SAIC batteries used in the MG5, MG ZS have a good reputation?

Do you mean "do they catch fire"? That feature seems limited to South Korean manufacturers.

Or do you mean "does their capacity degrade" in which case the answer is Yes, at around 2% a year in common with most manufacturers but nowhere near the figures experienced by Nissan owners.

Yes, at around 2% a year

Hopefully not. My 2013 Zoe 22kWh still has 96% SOH, my 2017 Ioniq 28kWh has 100% SOH (if it degraded, it likely did so within the manufacturers tolerance)...

I may very well be spoilt, but I'd hope for less than 2% degradation per year, particularly with a larger battery.

Those cars both had significant top buffers when new. But some degradation is common on older ZS EV.

Wasn't it SAIC that invented the 'blade' battery, and those were proven to be safer than other types of Lithium-Ion batteries?

With the height of the batteries in the MG4 being only 110mm, there was a reference to this meaning the blades were installed horizontally in the packs rather than vertically.

@BugEyed and @raph both cover valid points about there is degradation on all batteries, it just differs based on chemistry but also how well or otherwise the BMS manages the batteries along with cell balancing.

As an industry, or rather when looking at some of the stuff battery manufacturers put up on youtube, we're on 3rd generation battery technology today. They all seem to show a route to 4th and 5th generation over the next 3 to 6 years.

Wasn't it SAIC that invented the 'blade' battery, and those were proven to be safer than other types of Lithium-Ion batteries?

With the height of the batteries in the MG4 being only 110mm, there was a reference to this meaning the blades were installed horizontally in the packs rather than vertically.

@BugEyed and @raph both cover valid points about there is degradation on all batteries, it just differs based on chemistry but also how well or otherwise the BMS manages the batteries along with cell balancing.

As an industry, or rather when looking at some of the stuff battery manufacturers put up on youtube, we're on 3rd generation battery technology today. They all seem to show a route to 4th and 5th generation over the next 3 to 6 years.
IIRC, The "blade" battery is BYD's thing.
The cells in the MG4's pack are installed on an angle ( /// ) to reduce the height.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 538 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back