Little pockmarks on bonnet

I would ask the dealer about it, especially since you had a dealer applied paint protection coating that they sold you (would protect against minor salt/droppings/paint wear)

The paint code for the black should be 5 PBC, you'll see it on the drivers door B pillar.

My 2022 car, also in black has numerous chips that have exposed the light coloured primer,
bonnet, bumper, front of roof, edge of the windscreen.

I think I generally keep an unusually generous distance from the car in front and keep as far away from approaching gritters as I can, but this car does seem particularly chip prone.

The one good thing about black is that it nicely hides a neatly filled in chip. Once repaired, you really can't notice them unless you get very close.

same here : sanded back, filled, painted and polished out - I do find that the MG4 paint is soft (even after 18 months)

5-10 times the cost - similar challenges -

Attachments

• IMG_5458.jpeg
    IMG_5458.jpeg
    272.7 KB · Views: 28
The paint code for the black should be 5 PBC, you'll see it on the drivers door B pillar.

My 2022 car, also in black has numerous chips that have exposed the light coloured primer,
bonnet, bumper, front of roof, edge of the windscreen.

I think I generally keep an unusually generous distance from the car in front and keep as far away from approaching gritters as I can, but this car does seem particularly chip prone.

The one good thing about black is that it nicely hides a neatly filled in chip. Once repaired, you really can't notice them unless you get very close.
That's helpful to know, thanks. Yes, I found the paint code and have ordered some.

same here : sanded back, filled, painted and polished out - I do find that the MG4 paint is soft (even after 18 months)

5-10 times the cost - similar challenges -

Wow. Those are bad.
It must be the clear coat that is softer, but it could be the little sparkly bits in the metallic paint weaken the structure. Opposite to @Rolfe this the first time we;ve had a metallic paint car, I think, though Ruaridh Mhor, our old Rangie, may have been metallic.

@QLeo if it makes you feel any better my 1 month old MG4 got its 1st stone chip yesterday, frustrating but always going to happen.

Quick touch up and can hardly not it, I still know it’s there lol

@QLeo if it makes you feel any better my 1 month old MG4 got its 1st stone chip yesterday, frustrating but always going to happen.

Quick touch up and can hardly not it, I still know it’s there lol
Oh, sorry to hear that, but yes, I think I need to get over this. It was the number of pockmarks that bothered me. As in, "we're gonna need a bigger pot o' paint" :) But if it continues to be just the bonnet, maybe those plastic wrap services are no bad idea, assuming they're not overly expensive.

Ooh, lucky. We're very happy with Goth Leo, but our ideal preference would have been for a grey one. We were in the right place at the right time, and it was a choice of white or black, or a 5-6 months wait.
Funny thing is, on the day we were looking for a new car we were actually looking to get a new Ford Puma, it was only a Volcano Orange MG4 sitting in the showroom caught my eye, got talking to the dealer, arranged a test drive & I was sold

Outside they also had the blue, grey ( which is ours now ) & 2 white ones

Overall though I personally think the MG4 looks very nice in all colours. The only thing for me is if it’s a Trophy version looking at the rear, I personally don’t like the look of roof spoilers in certain colours but that’s a me thing

& just to get it off my chest, the only thing looks wise I don’t like on any MG4 is what I call the red lightning streaks at the top of rear lights, for me it’s just OTT, again a me thing.

Fresh paint on cars tends to be soft for at least 6 months, sometimes longer, especially since they went over to water based paints. I had a chip on the side of the bonnet on mine in the first couple of months, rubbed it down touched it up (orange) and I can't see it at all now.

Fresh paint on cars tends to be soft for at least 6 months, sometimes longer, especially since they went over to water based paints. I had a chip on the side of the bonnet on mine in the first couple of months, rubbed it down touched it up (orange) and I can't see it at all now.
That's a really good point. We won't have had a car since the change away from solvent based paints, so our past experience may well not reflect current circumstances.

And would you believe it, the paint I ordered late yesterday afternoon from ukmgparts.com has just arrived, from Hertfordshire to the north of Scotland in less than 24 hours. Dave Burke at ukmgparts was helpfulness personified. My card order was declined, which made me nervous so I phoned the bank. It turned out that I put the wrong expiry date in in a fit of OMS (Old Man Syndrome) but in an email Dave offered to take details over the phone. He said he'd get it in the post yesterday evening, and that he expected it to be with me today, to which I said "aye, right," but that's exactly what happened. He even gave me some advice re the touching up - use several shallow coats and an artist's brush. Mentioning this in some detail as I feel it's right to call out good service just as much as poor service.

First little coat done and already looking much better.

Thanks again to everyone contributing to this thread.

Just here to comment that I think Ruaraidh Mhòr is a fabulous name for a Range Rover.
:) He was a great lad, but at 18mpg, liked his juice. Worried about the MG4's 280 miles range? Hah! We grew expert at identifying petrol station at 200 mile intervals, when 70 or so litres went in. Took longer to fill than a 50kW charger. (well, not quite, but you get the idea.)

Attachments

• StevanPics-161716-06032024.jpg
    StevanPics-161716-06032024.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 17

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 502 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member