Live & Connected Services Expiry.

Stageshoot

Banned
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Noticed when going through the SatNav settings that there is a preset cutoff date for all live services

Seems to be 5 years from car activation. Will not affect me as I dont keep a car anywhere near that long, but do wonder how it will affect in the future if owners will be able to pay to extend or if its just another way of
making the car obsolete quickly

IMG_5526 copy.jpg

It's also good that it's relatively easy to find the date. Clearly as an SE owner it doesn't worry me but I wonder how many owners of the cars in five years time will want to pay to extend the service?

Noticed when going through the SatNav settings that there is a preset cutoff date for all live services

Seems to be 5 years from car activation. Will not affect me as I dont keep a car anywhere near that long, but do wonder how it will affect in the future if owners will be able to pay to extend or if its just another way of
making the car obsolete quickly

View attachment 12920
MG are planning to make the MG4 obsolete a lot earlier than that.
They've officially stated that the 4 will be their "oldest model" within 2 years.

MG are planning to make the MG4 obsolete a lot earlier than that.
They've officially stated that the 4 will be their "oldest model" within 2 years.
That doesn't mean it'll be "obsolete", just that it will be the oldest model on the MSP platform. ;)

If just referring to Nav then no worries anyway as unlimited (to date) Google maps, Waze etc. presume not referring to OAUs which should/must be for the life of the car.

If just referring to Nav then no worries anyway as unlimited (to date) Google maps, Waze etc. presume not referring to OAUs which should/must be for the life of the car.

I actually like the built in satnav. Prefer it to the CarPlay version as it calculates true usable range based on elevation etc

22A65889-CCF1-4787-98FC-9FF6213AD603.jpeg

Also use the built in Amazon music via the cars sim and the kids have Wi-Fi iPads in the car which they connect to the cars built in hotspot for data when on trips so we make good use of the built in connected features. Plus the app of course

Hopefully it will be something they add for future owners years down the line

Although saying that as the cats data connection is 4g not 5g will probably be obsolete in 5 years

2G still works in some places, and 3G still works almost everywhere - you really think 4G will be turned off any time soon?

2G still works in some places, and 3G still works almost everywhere - you really think 4G will be turned off any time soon?

3 have killed 2hg and are rebanding 3G towers to 5g

BMW have disabled the 3G data modems on its cars already. It’s coming to 4g sooner than you think

3 have killed 2hg and are rebanding 3G towers to 5g

BMW have disabled the 3G data modems on its cars already. It’s coming to 4g sooner than you think
3 never had a 2G network, it was 3G straight away which resulted in pretty poor coverage initially.

5G doesn't, and is not intended to replace 4G. 5G (As in, 5G NR, not the 4G+ thats badged as 5G by carriers) is an auxiliary band used for very high data speeds in a short range, such as in city environments and home internet. At the moment, 5G can't even be used without a 4G connection present at the same time. 4G is replacing 3G, as 3G has become an obsolete technology.

3 never had a 2G network, it was 3G straight away which resulted in pretty poor coverage initially.

No it used the O2 2G network in areas where there was no 3G coverage initially

I remember having to drive to Watford to but a Three Handset with Video calling as they would not sell in my local area (North Midlands) as it was going to be a year or more till it came up this way, and they were paying o2 a preety penny for roaming

b2eb276c73efb7ef26366e64648b8afa (1).jpg

Hence they never had a 2g network to get rid of, which was the original point
They did it was just other companies same as how MVNOs operate, 3s coverage was pretty good when they first started due to their 2g roaming, it was just 3g wasn't amazing but at the time no one's 3g was brilliant

I actually like the built in satnav. Prefer it to the CarPlay version as it calculates true usable range based on elevation etc

View attachment 12923

Also use the built in Amazon music via the cars sim and the kids have Wi-Fi iPads in the car which they connect to the cars built in hotspot for data when on trips so we make good use of the built in connected features. Plus the app of course

Hopefully it will be something they add for future owners years down the line

Although saying that as the cats data connection is 4g not 5g will probably be obsolete in 5 years
Quick question on the built-in Amazon Music sub with the trophy model, does it give you 'unlimited music' level of sub even if you don't have that level on your current Amazon account ?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 507 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back