Living with my new long range Zs Ev Trophy

Hello, could I ask whether the regen braking works with the adaptive cruise control turned on please? I haven’t seen a final answer about this on here. Thanks.

No it doesn't - I think that was covered on the 1st November Podcast.

Hello, could I ask whether the regen braking works with the adaptive cruise control turned on please? I haven’t seen a final answer about this on here. Thanks.

It doesn't, to be quite honest it's one of the most glaring oversights of the whole car.

It's probably worth about 0.2/0.3 mlspkw/h on my regular commute if it had it, based on my non scientific expirements using ACC and not.

It really is a stupid omission. One of the key places to use mg pilot would be in heavy traffic on major roads. If it doesn't regen though it will hammer range.

Could it come with an update?

I believe Miles suggested not owing to a hardware limitation.

I can't get my head around that though given the regen works with the speed limiter. I suspect I'm over simplifying it.

Lithium ion batteries don't like to be charged to 100% regularly (especially if left at full charge for a time). All battery types have different quirks though.

The recommendation to charge to 80% is valid, and i am very glad mg introduced this to their cars as it helps prolong battery life. This along with a proper charging timer sealed the deal for me.

lithium ion batteries build up dendrites over time News Feature: The tricky challenge holding back electric cars , and this degrades the battery. Keeping the battery at optimal temperatures, avoiding low or high battery charge levels help decrease the build up, and prolong the life.

You don't have to be too precious about it, but sticking to 80% for day to day usage is good practice. This is especially so if you are leaving the car sat at 100% for a while.

Balance charges to 100% are still recommended once a month according to the manual (if i recall correctly).
I thought the LR had a 72kWHr battery, but could only use 68kWHr of it; so its not really getting to 100%?

I thought the LR had a 72kWHr battery, but could only use 68kWHr of it; so its not really getting to 100%?
Depends where the buffer is defined; at the top or bottom or both. Most manufacturers just have a bottom buffer so 0% isn't really empty but 100% is fully charged. So assuming that is what is in the MG then 100% is a full 72 kWh but 0% is 4 kWh left in the pack.
Taking a pack to empty can kill a battery hence why there is always a bottom buffer!

I believe Miles suggested not owing to a hardware limitation.

I can't get my head around that though given the regen works with the speed limiter. I suspect I'm over simplifying it.
Think it's more annoying that regen works on the MG5 using MG pilot but not the ZS! Why?

So, just to prove me a liar this morning I got this. Did have the heater set fairly low though.
20220223_090220.jpg

as others have said there is also a buffer at the lower end. in all likelihood it has some at both ends. avoiding high and low levels of charge works best for lithium ion batteries. same goes for your smart phone but much harder to manage than cars like mg, tesla that have good manual management systems.

Maybe I am talking rubbish here, but if regen were used during adaptive cruise I would think you would get a very jerky ride. Because the motor would be on and off in a jerky fashion. However for the radar to control the speed using brakes only when freewheeling would be. easier and smoother. I have. Found using adaptive in slow flowing traffic is better for miles per kw than manual driving because the computer doesn’t take such large deviation in power as I do if maintaining distance between vehicles. This of course is only my subjective view, not scientific.

Only if it was programmed by a jerk would it be jerky! :) Much the same you way could try one pedal style driving by suitable control of the accelerator using KERS 3 then regen braking can be totally smooth. You could ask why knock a couple of mph off your speed using brakes when lifting off the accelerator can achieve the same?

If you are using non-adaptive cruise control, when you cancel or pause the cruise control does regen occur? (In my Pug it does in b mode(regen))

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom