Local perks for EV owners

Saw yesterday works under way in Chelmsford - Tesco Springfield road car park.
Fairly certain it's for the charging points as could see them dug up channels and square concrete pads on number of parking spots with cable trunking out of them.

In Blackpool you pay for charging AND must pay for parking too. Further up the road in Thornton Cleveleys you pay for rapid charge using a bp chargemaster, but parking is free while charging.

In the London borough of Tower Hamlets a local parking permit only costs £11 a year for EVs.

Warwick District. Free parking. Not that it's that useful presently!

Barnsley council have a 2 or 3 free charges .one of them is 22kw 'not much use for the zs' .although i have not used any council chargers my knowledge with Zapmap etc is that they a poorly maintained .

Rotherham, Tescos are free but the council ones are confusing, some you pay to charge and to park, some you pay to charge but not to park, some you pay to park but not to charge and the signage is not clear. :(
I think I'll stick to Tescos or go down to Meadowhall where it's free to park and charge. ;)
For Sheffield, I have a permit for free parking on street and any council owned car parks, they even sent me a clock card thingy so I can park in the time limited ones as well. (y)

In Scotland we have Chargeplace Scotland chargers which are free after paying £20 for the RFID card (membership).

As far as the local council is concerned.....nothing!
Thankfully in the Stirling and Falkirk area Chargeplace Scotland have chargers installed and as mentioned once th e20 is paid its freeeeee :)
As an addition went to the Falkirk one this a.m. and plugged and the charger notified that the charging rate was 80 MWH !! from a 50mwh charger ! so... went for a wee walk came back and it showed 5mwh ? but slowly climbed back up to 40 as a fairly newbie to EV's is this a common occurrence ? Car wasn't empty (about 35 mls) just asking....

Thankfully in the Stirling and Falkirk area Chargeplace Scotland have chargers installed and as mentioned once th e20 is paid its freeeeee :)
As an addition went to the Falkirk one this a.m. and plugged and the charger notified that the charging rate was 80 MWH !! from a 50mwh charger ! so... went for a wee walk came back and it showed 5mwh ? but slowly climbed back up to 40 as a fairly newbie to EV's is this a common occurrence ? Car wasn't empty (about 35 mls) just asking....
Hi Edoc,

Can anyone buy into this "Chargeplace Scotland" Card or do you have to be a resident of Scotland?

I use to visit the Isle of Aran two or three timers a year for a long weekend break and to meet up with friends who live there.

Knowing I had just bought an electric vehicle, my friends sent me information recently of two newly installed Charge points on the Promenade at Brodick on the island that are I believe "Chargeplace Scotland", so once lock down is over and we all have our injections in place, this is going to be my first planned lengthy trip in my ZS EV up there.

I am a member of BP Chargemaster (Polar), but once I hit Scotland, I was wondering if I can get hold of one of these cards coming from England.

Thanks in advance for the info.

Andy (Blackpool)

Brodick Charge point.jpg

Last edited:
Prob have to pay the £20 but cant remember if you have to prove anything more. It works from an app as well so u could download the app with somebody elses details ?

I think anyone can purchase the RFID card. In addition, the Chargeplace Scotland chargers are run by Charge Your Car so the cards for each are interchangeable (I think). May be worth checking Charge Your Car as it may be a better option.

I think anyone can purchase the RFID card. In addition, the Chargeplace Scotland chargers are run by Charge Your Car so the cards for each are interchangeable (I think). May be worth checking Charge Your Car as it may be a better option.
Anyone with a CYC card can use them in Scotland, and vice versa. Pretty sure EVM covered it in a recent video.

The app is a bit clunky, buying the card is definitely worth the outlay.

Will have a look at “Charge Your Car” thanks for the info. Just looking forward to the day I can take my car on a good long run.

Bought it at the end of September and still under 700 miles on the clock. Lol
Andy (Blackpool)

Hi Edoc,

Can anyone buy into this "Chargeplace Scotland" Card or do you have to be a resident of Scotland?

I use to visit the Isle of Aran two or three timers a year for a long weekend break and to meet up with friends who live there.

Knowing I had just bought an electric vehicle, my friends sent me information recently of two newly installed Charge points on the Promenade at Brodick on the island that are I believe "Chargeplace Scotland", so once lock down is over and we all have our injections in place, this is going to be my first planned lengthy trip in my ZS EV up there.

I am a member of BP Chargemaster (Polar), but once I hit Scotland, I was wondering if I can get hold of one of these cards coming from England.

Thanks in advance for the info.

Andy (Blackpool)

View attachment 1199
Hi Andy,
My info is you need to have an address in Scotland to qualify for this card sorry about that - why not move up here and enjoy the free sparks (for the time being) also hate to rub it in Andy but we also get an xtra 300 pound grant towards a home charger ! as well as the 350 from the UK government so my charger cost me 199.00 to install from Scottish Power!

Hi Andy,
My info is you need to have an address in Scotland to qualify for this card sorry about that - why not move up here and enjoy the free sparks (for the time being) also hate to rub it in Andy but we also get an xtra 300 pound grant towards a home charger ! as well as the 350 from the UK government so my charger cost me 199.00 to install from Scottish Power!
Not sure that's correct. Here's part of the Help system on their site...

Can I access the ChargePlace Scotland network if I live outside of Scotland?
Only drivers who have a UK bank account and live in the UK are eligible to order an access card. If you are visiting Scotland and need to start a charge, please contact our helpline to remotely start a charge when your vehicle is connected to the charge point. Or you can visit Guest Charging to make a charge through your devices browser.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom