Locked in my MG4 & unable to escape - Serious Safety Issue

Fine sentiments, but seems to need a lot of fuss required to get them to fit the breather mod, and nothing else seems to have been put right yet - quietly or not.
I, personally, place the blame firmly at the door of the initial dealers attitude of "it's not a problem, no one else has the issue". I don't believe that it was until the overwhelming evidence was shoved down their throats that they acknowledged it as a problem, and only then informed MGUK and subsequently SAIC.
I will qualify that by saying that is my opinion, others may think differently.

Have a look at this video...

The keyfob works even without a battery!

Yes that's where you put it if the key if you are stuck and it can't be detected. A very specific place and as per the manual. This doesn't resolve the issue in this case unfortunately.

Yes that's where you put it if the key if you are stuck and it can't be detected. A very specific place and as per the manual. This doesn't resolve the issue in this case unfortunately.

The initial state of the drive selector was just as is described by people who experienced the invalid key problem. Unresponsive and unable to set to P.

I looked at the video a few times and noted that he turned the drive selector a few times before it worked. Maybe this is what is required. I wish I could have understood what he was saying. Any Spanish speakers who can help?

The initial state of the drive selector was just as is described by people who experienced the invalid key problem. Unresponsive and unable to set to P.

I looked at the video a few times and noted that he turned the drive selector a few times before it worked. Maybe this is what is required. I wish I could have understood what he was saying. Any Spanish speakers who can help?
I believe they get a different message, Google translate gives, "Put the key in manual start exposure" I have done the same on my car to see what happens previously.
My previous post

Post in thread 'MG4 Test Drive Key Problems' MG4 Test Drive Key Problems

Reports from people is they get invalid key, subtle difference but I think key (joke intentional 😉) to it being a different scenario.

Hi, he tries several times to select D without success until he realises the door was open and you cannot select D in that situation. He closes the door and then Drive becomes allowed; nothing special with the selector.
(Native Spanish speaker here)

Hi, he tries several times to select D without success until he realises the door was open and you cannot select D in that situation. He closes the door and then Drive becomes allowed; nothing special with the selector.
(Native Spanish speaker here)
Thank you for translating for us.

It strikes me that some bright spark at Thatcham thought it would be a good anti theft safety feature without thinking about what would happen when the car and the key stop talking to each other. As a solution car manufacturer's need to put the physical lock in the driver's door not the tailgate.

I get where you are coming from but that defeats the anti theft design unfortunately. Doesn't allow door windows to be smashed to reach in and open the car hence they hide it on the boot as it is less accessible

I think it should be single press soft lock double press anti theft design

Last edited:
I, personally, place the blame firmly at the door of the initial dealers attitude of "it's not a problem, no one else has the issue". I don't believe that it was until the overwhelming evidence was shoved down their throats that they acknowledged it as a problem, and only then informed MGUK and subsequently SAIC.
I will qualify that by saying that is my opinion, others may think differently.
Aye, but I'm still more concerned with the effect than the cause.

Had this happen to us this evening. Both myself and my wife locked in the car with alarm going off. We both had our keys on us, neither key nor app would unlock car. Exited through boot. Stood 20m away from car whilst searching for info. Alarm stopped after maybe ~10mins. This co incided with my wife trying long presses on the unlock and lock buttons on remote. Will raise with dealer...

Had this happen to us this evening. Both myself and my wife locked in the car with alarm going off. We both had our keys on us, neither key nor app would unlock car. Exited through boot. Stood 20m away from car whilst searching for info. Alarm stopped after maybe ~10mins. This co incided with my wife trying long presses on the unlock and lock buttons on remote. Will raise with dealer...
Please and INSIST it is escalated immediately to MG UK demanding proof that this has been done!!! The more reported incidents the more priority it will be given

Please and INSIST it is escalated immediately to MG UK demanding proof that this has been done!!! The more reported incidents the more priority it will be given
I’m glad you’re both alright and were able to exit through the boot, but as Briggie has said, this has to be a priority for MG to fix.

I get where you are coming from but that defeats the anti theft design unfortunately. Doesn't allow door windows to be smashed to reach in and open the car hence they hide it on the boot as it is less accessible

I think it should be single press soft lock double press anti theft design
Just guessing that if they smashed in the window, they could climb in through the......window?

Yip, never said it was impossible just not easily accessible....by design...and they would to know the vehicle emergency release switch location for fuller access. So determined thief yes, scally to nick a phone etc.smash and grab style yip, but wouldn't bother with full access. Let's be honest, all security is preventative not completely foolproof

Last edited:
Glad you got out safe, although not huge numbers this is a really worrying fault

I am the original creator of the post my car is in at dealers they have had it a week with this issue they said it is a software update that is needed to which they have done I get my car back Thursday. Please raise with dealer as this is becoming a more common issue what car are you driving I have the se sr version wondering if it is type car related or is a issue with all models

I am the original creator of the post my car is in at dealers they have had it a week with this issue they said it is a software update that is needed to which they have done I get my car back Thursday. Please raise with dealer as this is becoming a more common issue what car are you driving I have the se sr version wondering if it is type car related or is a issue with all models
I suspect it’s all versions. My MG4 is a trophy and I have had the invalid key issue.

Crossing fingers that your software update sorts it!

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 538 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back