Locked in my MG4 & unable to escape - Serious Safety Issue

Yes but it's about the consequences of a software update that is meant to fix the problem of you being locked inside your mg4, so it is very relevant.
I guess that depends if that was the only update applied. Also mars6394 reports loosing power on the way to the dealers and rejecting the car further above, so the point it's already made.
It would also be useful to have it posted on the correct thread.

Yes but it's about the consequences of a software update that is meant to fix the problem of you being locked inside your mg4, so it is very relevant.
Apologies. I wonder if you had 2 separate faults - 1) locked in and 2) losing power. It may be that the update to 1) caused the loss of power. Or it could be your car already had the loss of power fault but it only manifested itself later.

This thread really needs to be renamed so others can find it easily and get help if needed.
I agree and did suggest this at post #195.
Ideally, the owner of the thread should lead on this as I normally intervene only if the thread title is factually incorrect or fails totally to indicate its content.
As the current title (MG4 Test Drive Key Problems) doesn't reflect the serious nature of its content, I'll amend it myself to "Locked in my MG4 & unable to escape - Serious Safety Issue".

I'll amend it myself to "Locked in my MG4 & unable to escape - Serious Safety Issue".
Missed opportunity there @Alb

Could have named it

I'm caught in a trophy
I can't get out
Because the key don't work now baby.

We can't go on together
With serious safety issues

and we could hum it to the tune of Suspicious Minds...

Missed opportunity there @Alb

Could have named it

I'm caught in a trophy
I can't get out
Because the key don't work now baby.

We can't go on together
With serious safety issues

and we could hum it to the tune of Suspicious Minds...
You should get your coat !

His mind is made up, he’s bought the MG
His keys in his pocket, he's happy as can be,
He finds a fast charger unused after dark
And he can’t understand why it’s hard to depart
Then MG Assist whose been quiet up to now roars,
“It’s a car trap and you’ve been caught”

To the tune of The Boom Town Rats "Rat Trap"

I have left the building...

I’ve finally heard back from my dealer who’s advised me that MG are aware of these issues and will be contacting customers individually to arrange a software update. Anybody else in the same boat?

I must state that I’ve been continuing to use the car (without my children, I use the Mrs car for that as I can’t risk it happening with them inside) - I’ve had no issues since, but it does still play on my mind a lot. I just hope the update sorts it (whenever I get it) as I do really enjoy the car.

Dealer did the update on mine this morning. i didn't want to be worrying about getting locked in over Xmas, so chased the dealer to get it done before.
hope you can get booked in soon.

A lot of cars have the safety ‘double pull’ if locked to exit.

Just had the most horrific experience of the car deadlocking with me trapped inside. Alarm going off, key wouldnt open door, internal unlock button didn’t open door. Windows wouldn’t open and car wouldn’t drive. Fortunately not far from home and hubby came with spare key. I’m claustrophobic and the 20 mins it took for Him to get to me seemed like a lifetime.
mG4 site on FB say there is a recall for this well known fault. How are they allowed to sell a vehicle with such a huge safety issue.

Just had the most horrific experience of the car deadlocking with me trapped inside. Alarm going off, key wouldnt open door, internal unlock button didn’t open door. Windows wouldn’t open and car wouldn’t drive. Fortunately not far from home and hubby came with spare key. I’m claustrophobic and the 20 mins it took for Him to get to me seemed like a lifetime.
mG4 site on FB say there is a recall for this well known fault. How are they allowed to sell a vehicle with such a huge safety issue.
Sorry to hear you've been caught by this.
Have a look at this thread
Thread 'Locked in my MG4 & unable to escape - Serious Safety Issue' Locked in my MG4 & unable to escape - Serious Safety Issue
There is a recall to be carried out, obviously not quickly enough for you though

If anyone is interested, this is still happening to the car. I received it back from the dealer who said a software patch was done. The only thing it seems to have accomplished is turning off the alarm when the invalid key error appears. It is still locking people in the car with neither key working. The only way to get out is using the mechanical insert.

The cynic in me thinks the only thing the software patch did was to turn off the audible alarm to stop attention being drawn to it.
That is not reassuring. I was locked in mine today - a truly terrifying experience. Only had the car since 1/12, i wonder if the dealer would accept a return and refund me?

I've just seen another case of this on the MG4 Owners and Fans Group on Facebook.

Have you got any updates to your case?
Happened to me today

Just wanted to add to the forum, happened to me also horrible experience. Key lost connection about half a mile down the road and when I stoped I could not power down the vehicle. I could not leave the car or open windows. Alarm going of intermittently. I phoned the Mrs to bring the spare key but this didn't help. (Didn't know about the manual key but do now) after almost an hour and calling out AA I asked the Mrs to try the boot and this unlocked the car. Dealer has had the car but say they can't find a fault. Very reluctant about taking the car back but I've been told legally if there is no fault nothing can be done. If it happens again I will video the whole thing and lost it on all media platforms and groups to hopefully help out other users. Mine is also an se standard spec
I have the long range and this happened to me today. Terrifying experience. Fortunately not too far from home and hubby came with spare key.

That is not reassuring. I was locked in mine today - a truly terrifying experience. Only had the car since 1/12, i wonder if the dealer would accept a return and refund me?
Your within your 30 days so can reject the car

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 542 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel