Locked in my MG4 & unable to escape - Serious Safety Issue

This is the main reason I cancelled my order, I could have put up with everything else. The way things were getting dealt with the oil leak rang alarm bells with me! and this issue has the potential to be really dangerous and on the face of it seems to be getting dealt with in the same way. It's great they have a software fix , same as the modified breather, and both arrived pretty quick, but unless they are going to proactively apply them to all cars sold before the issues and fixes were developed, what's the point? People are still being inconvenienced and potentially placed in danger
I know there hasn't been too many locked in incidents, but must be in double figures I wasn't willing to take the chance. One incident was enough and there are owners not willing to get back in their cars.
Come on MG get on the phone and get the cars back for the update!
I'm fortunate my car has the update as collected 16/12 but I am missing an undertray, rear deflector and my cars gearbox has a bladder control issue.

I hope every dealer is being honest in relation to doing the updates, so many mixed messages from members in relation to updates and availability of updates etc

I hope every dealer is being honest in relation to doing the updates, so many mixed messages from members in relation to updates and availability of updates etc
They did try BS'ing about my lack of undertray but they did in all fairness stop me collecting on the 15th so they could apply a mandatory update for the locking system. So a small amount of credit for that

Your undertray response is one of the best bits of BS I've heard from a dealer. Doesn't help your issue much but hats off to your dealer for total other level BS

One dealer told me that newly delivered cars were getting updates that took hours, while another told me the updates took 6 minutes. They can’t both be right, and it’s yet another indication of a salesman just saying anything to pretend the issues aren’t issues.

Yeah there no way you can complain about an I'll fitting undertray

One dealer told me that newly delivered cars were getting updates that took hours, while another told me the updates took 6 minutes. They can’t both be right, and it’s yet another indication of a salesman just saying anything to pretend the issues aren’t issues.
I got told around 15mins per module as it updates then verifies the update before progressing, which sound plausible.

Hope it's not like dodgey Dave knocking flashed firesticks out that may or may not work

Hope it's not like dodgey Dave knocking flashed firesticks out that may or may not work.

Have you just described the MG4 production line😉

Hope it's not like dodgey Dave knocking flashed firesticks out that may or may not work.

Have you just described the MG4 production line😉

I have an auto dipping rear view mirror that my car isn’t supposed to have and isn’t wired up.
Dodgy doesn’t seem a totally baseless description of the production line.

I have an auto dipping rear view mirror that my car isn’t supposed to have and isn’t wired up.
Dodgy doesn’t seem a totally baseless description of the production line.
I believe sir you have just described the British Leyland production line from back in the day, MG going all retro and back to its roots

So guys, what’s the solution to stop this potentially happening whilst I wait on the update ? Would having both keys on the same keychain work ? ( if one fails at least there is the other )

Be aware of the escape route via the boot.
Don't put the car in park if the invalid key message is displayed until you have got to somewhere you can escape.
2 keys in the car is a bad idea as you need one manual key outside to open the door manually.

If you really are worried push your dealer to apply the update asap. Keep and manual key secreted under the bonnet where you can direct someone while locked inside, to let you out rather than via the boot.

This is the best summary of what we know I think is the thread linked below, there maybe a more recent I don't think so though.
Post in thread 'Locked in my MG4 & unable to escape - Serious Safety Issue' Locked in my MG4 & unable to escape - Serious Safety Issue

Last edited:
Be aware of the escape route via the boot.
Don't put the car in park if the invalid key message is displayed until you have got to somewhere you can escape.
2 keys in the car is a bad idea as you need one manual key outside to open the door manually.

If you really are worried push your dealer to apply the update asap. Keep and manual key secreted under the bonnet where you can direct someone while locked inside, to let you out rather than via the boot.

This is the best summary of what we know I think is the thread lilleshall linked below, there maybe a more recent I don't think so though.
Post in thread 'Locked in my MG4 & unable to escape - Serious Safety Issue' Locked in my MG4 & unable to escape - Serious Safety Issue
There was a post that said if you lift off the drivers seat then you can unlock with the fob as the car thinks there's no one in it ?

There was a post that said if you lift off the drivers seat then you can unlock with the fob as the car thinks there's no one in it ?
One person who had the issue had opened the bonnet and lifted their weight from the seat the key then worked to unlock the car. We haven't had this confirmed as working, hence the point of "Bonnet opening - not in its own right" in the post linked above.

Last edited:
One person who had the issue had opened the bonnet and lifted their weight from the seat the key then worked to unlock the car. We haven't had this confirmed as working, hence the point of "Bonnet opening - not in its own right" in the post linked above.
Yes I saw that one , but I've seen another post without any mention of opening the bonnet. Can't remember if it was on here or Facebook. They said they'd had the key not recognised, got locked in , then lifted off the seat and unlocked. I'll try to find it.

Found it #414.
Worth a try though referring back to the post I linked above "Move from drivers seat and try fob (didn't work in at least one case)", so in another case it didn't seem to work. Could be due to a longer time delay as I think in the earlier post it was as they had got to the boot.

Worth a try though referring back to the post I linked above "Move from drivers seat and try fob (didn't work in at least one case)", so in another case it didn't seem to work. Could be due to a longer time delay as I think in the earlier post it was as they had got to the boot.
Ok Samuel H stated that it unlocked, I assumed with the fob , maybe it was with the door handle ? Not sure.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 540 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back