Long Range here we come!

michaelr

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
We are collecting our LR MG5 on Thursday -RED - (second hand but dealer miles=13!!!)

Me and my Mrs are totally, well she is over the moon and slightly freaking out as we don't have a EV charger on order ...yet...

Am wondering as we are looking at the easee one - if anyone has anything to say about that - (we have an issue with electric supplier who have messed up our bills so can't change to an EV tariff just yet) - but as can still get the £350 grant as we are in a flat with a private drive, it feels like it makes sense to get an EV charger in. But feel having a charger with an APP so you can time when you want the charge to start (which I think the easee one allows for)

And any other tips - like should we never let the battery go below 50%? (I am sure I read that somewhere, or she did)

And any quirks etc... she is sure someone will steal the charging lead if we charge up in a supermarket -

It is a big change from petrol and looking forward to not paying for fossil fuel - but don't want the EV car to be a steeper than it needs to be learning curve!

Cheers

Welcome! EVs are great and no more difficult to charge than a mobile.
we have an issue with electric supplier who have messed up our bills so can't change to an EV tariff just yet

That's not a reason not to switch - in fact the opposite. How many miles do you expect to do and how many kWh (split peak/ off-peak if relevant) do you use at the moment?

should we never let the battery go below 50%? (I am sure I read that somewhere, or she did)

That's not correct. Try not to keep the battery below 10% or above 90% for extended periods (many days), but otherwise it's fine to use the whole range. It can be a bit scary approaching 0% for the first time in terms of range anxiety but not harmful to the battery. I doubt that you or your partner regularly gamble on zero fuel in your ICE, why start doing so with an EV?

she is sure someone will steal the charging lead if we charge up in a supermarket

Whilst charging it is locked in at both ends, so that'll be hard. Don't leave the lead out when not charging for obvious reasons. Oh, and are you getting locking wheel nuts? A new set of wheels and tyres is £1k+.

Welcome! EVs are great and no more difficult to charge than a mobile.

That's not a reason not to switch - in fact the opposite. How many miles do you expect to do and how many kWh (split peak/ off-peak if relevant) do you use at the moment?
Currently probably barely do 200miles a month - but no doubt will wanna do a few longer trips in the car now...I will look into other suppliers - we have an OFFCOM complaint in so not sure where that leaves us in terms of moving.
That's not correct. Try not to keep the battery below 10% or above 90% for extended periods (many days), but otherwise it's fine to use the whole range. It can be a bit scary approaching 0% for the first time in terms of range anxiety but not harmful to the battery. I doubt that you or your partner regularly gamble on zero fuel in your ICE, why start doing so with an EV?

Whilst charging it is locked in at both ends, so that'll be hard. Don't leave the lead out when not charging for obvious reasons. Oh, and are you getting locking wheel nuts? A new set of wheels and tyres is £1k+.
That is good to know about the battery as have read some weird things about never let it go under 50% - and it was like oh - and yeah petrol these days on red - as she leaves it for me to fill ... and didn't know about the locking wheel nuts? We have them on the existing car - so swap them in I guess... standard fittings...???

we have an OFFCOM complaint in so not sure where that leaves us in terms of moving.

Ofgen will not stop you moving, but if your current provider "claim" that you owe them lots of money they might. With Ofgen looking over their shoulder they may resolve things soon.

Currently probably barely do 200miles a month - but no doubt will wanna do a few longer trips in the car now

If you do so little mileage an EV specific rate may not be best for you unless you can switch other usage to the same time as the low rates.

didn't know about the locking wheel nuts? We have them on the existing car - so swap them in I guess... standard fittings...???

There are lots of different threads and recess shapes to take account of. Check very carefully and don't assume. New ones are relatively little if you look around.

Hi
I average about 400 mile a month
I top up to 80-85% weekly and once a month do a full balance charge
I use the granny charger for this as I am able to charge at work for free
I have used rapid chargers maybe 6 or 7 times (when I have been off work on holiday) in the 9 month’s I have had the car this
It still puts a smile on my face every time I get in it
So enjoy your Mg5
😃👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

If your milage is low then charge for free where you can and battery balance using the 'granny'. Keep the SOC between 20-80%. You might not get the benefit from either a 7kw home EVSE or an overnight tariff.

If your milage is low then charge for free where you can and battery balance using the 'granny'. Keep the SOC between 20-80%. You might not get the benefit from either a 7kw home EVSE or an overnight tariff.
Granny chargers - have picked up some things - don't know here on this forum or not - but whether that overheats or something? Or can be a bit dodgy? Also wondering - what is SOC?

SOC state of charge🤔.
Granny EVSE do get some bad reports but that could be how they are used.
I used mine for 6 weeks on a new waterproof socket before I had my Zappi installed but then I do 16k a year and make full use of my 4 hour cheap rate overnight slot.😁

Granny chargers - have picked up some things - don't know here on this forum or not - but whether that overheats or something? Or can be a bit dodgy? Also wondering - what is SOC?
My friend at work has an Hyundai ioniq he’s had it about 3 years now and as only ever used the granny charger with no problems

My friend at work has an Hyundai ioniq he’s had it about 3 years now and as only ever used the granny charger with no problems
I'm genuinely pleased that your friend has not had an issue, but there are a number of reasons that a "granny" charger should only be for occasional "emergency" use and not be a regular solution:
  • When used from a "standard" household circuit the Earthing and residual current protection does not meet the correct standards.
  • The BS1363 plug fitted to most units is not safe for extended periods at 10Amps and sometimes will fail with overheating due to the fuse holder or the connection of the Live pin.
  • The components are often not up to regular long term usage and often have a limited lifespan.
Like most smokers don't die of lung cancer, most users will get away with the above issues. But similarly the consequences of not being lucky can be fatal.

Glad you getting a mg5 LR enjoy you and the better half I have a pod point charger and find it ok also the app so can charge through the app and soon it be law for the charger to be able to charge through a app had mine since march and love it 👍😁

Hi
I average about 400 mile a month
I top up to 80-85% weekly and once a month do a full balance charge
I use the granny charger for this as I am able to charge at work for free
I have used rapid chargers maybe 6 or 7 times (when I have been off work on holiday) in the 9 month’s I have had the car this
It still puts a smile on my face every time I get in it
So enjoy your Mg5
😃👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
Cool! Do you do the balanced charge with the granny charger? not sure if that is gonna be viable for us at home...but looking into it!

Glad you getting a mg5 LR enjoy you and the better half I have a pod point charger and find it ok also the app so can charge through the app and soon it be law for the charger to be able to charge through a app had mine since march and love it 👍😁
Can't wait - (she says) and we are looking at the pod point - they also seem to be the best priced - but it is a minefield - all these companies with such a different pricing and chargers!

I have the Ohme charger which uses an app to do delayed charging.
Can also be used as a dumb charger as well.
It's a good charger and the support team are quick to rsspond.

Congratulations you are getting a great car. I have a Standard range and its been absolutely brilliant. I bought it for £24,800 brand new, current market value with 11k miles on it £24,200. This car has been the best I've ever owned, I've been driving BMW's for the last 20 years (330d + 320d) The build quality of the 330d was definitely better the 320d was about the same. Enjoy!

Welcome to the world of the MG5 EV LR. We've only had our's for 2 weeks, but it's been great. We kept our diesel Yeti just in case, but sold it today.

A few points that are worth knowing when you charge the car for free at the Tesco pod point. Don't be too shocked if your type 2 cable is locked into the charger and the car, even although the car doors are open. I found this out last week. Just lock the car and open it again and the cable will release.

The lane departure warning can be a bit of a pain, so I tend to switch it off. When it's on, the digital MPH speed indicator will disappear. Just push the left arrow on the right side of the steering wheel and your digital MPH will come back.

The cruise control is excellent. If you put it in cruise control, you can go up or down in 5mph increments, by just pushing the stick up or down. Handy for all the average speed cameras.

Don't let your charge run too low, as the one night we did, we found several chargers out of order! Unsurprisingly, the working chargers we did find were occupied. We made it home with 20% charge left, but it does focus the mind.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom