Long range ZS

Norfolk Enchance

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
1st charge point at Moto services Rugby was taken up by a SUV covered in swirly camo. It was the new ZS. Spoke to the guy from MG who was charging it and he told me that the next model comes with two different batteries.
The latter is 72Kwh and the ZS has a range 300 miles. Now I've never been in a ZS before so I cannot compare the new one with the old one, but I'm told that the dash and infotainment are totally different and much better. If the system in the existing ZS is the same as my MG5 then it does need improvement. The guy went on to explain that the front and rear of the new model have been redesigned, hence the camo.

Anyone else heard anything?

That’s interesting info. Thank you. It will be interesting to see what develops.

1st charge point at Moto services Rugby was taken up by a SUV covered in swirly camo. It was the new ZS. Spoke to the guy from MG who was charging it and he told me that the next model comes with two different batteries.
The latter is 72Kwh and the ZS has a range 300 miles. Now I've never been in a ZS before so I cannot compare the new one with the old one, but I'm told that the dash and infotainment are totally different and much better. If the system in the existing ZS is the same as my MG5 then it does need improvement. The guy went on to explain that the front and rear of the new model have been redesigned, hence the camo.

What a shame you couldn't get a photo

That is very interesting.
It sounds like they are carrying out field trials in the U.K. with the new L.R. ZS EV model.
I am thinking 60 kw for the smaller pack and 72 kw for the larger unit then ????.
72 kw pack ........... real world range of 250 miles ish ??????.
Price is the BIG question here !.

Great scoop @Norfolk Enchance .
I do hope the MG Marvel R turns up with the same name and not ZS EV ...

Joke aside, 73 kWh will make it leader in the segment in terms of range if the pricing is kept below eNiro long range.

Last edited:
Last edited:
This. I hope the current ZS can hold some value! Good scoop though @Norfolk Enchance, and thanks for posting the info (y)
Thanks, I do have a vested interest though. If the range is 300 miles, then it becomes a serious car of interest as a future replacement for my current MG5.
I genuinely like the MG brand, accepting all its little foibles and niggles.

It sounds like they are carrying out field trials in the U.K. with the new L.R. ZS EV model.
I am thinking 60 kw for the smaller pack and 72 kw for the larger unit then ????.
I am thinking 44.5 kw for the smaller pack and 72 kw for the larger unit.

I did ask him if he knew the price, but he said that was not his field unfortunately.

I'm hoping they pitch it at £30k, as this could be a game changer.

Looks good, but I'm not a fan of the "iPad stuck to the dash" school of design. I prefer the integrated look.
He did say that it was new architecture and was much improved on the existing units currently fitted. Unless he was taking the preverbial, he said that even the sunroof could be opened via verbal command.

I am thinking 44.5 kw for the smaller pack and 72 kw for the larger unit.
Yeah could be ?????.
But I think they will be pitching the smaller pack in the newer model, larger than the original pack in the Mk1 ZS EV.
60 kw’s takes it very close the e.Nero and the Kona pack size’s and I would guess at a lower price point than the above as well !.
Original Mk1 ZS EV owners who are just looking at a small upgrade, may go for a 60 kw pack, while others may go straight for a L.R. Version at 70+ kw’s ?.
Who knows, we will have to wait and see.
The price point is the big catch here.
Early adopter cars will be coming up to two years old in Oct / November this year.
Is the “price to change” going to be temping enough for them to upgrade to the newer model ?.
This has the knock on affect of putting some more affordable ZS EV’s out there via the dealerships.
Still with a hefty amount of the warranty remaining, which is a really good selling point for the dealers.
We all watch in interest how this pan’s out.
If MG get’s the pricing structure just right, then it could be brilliant for the MG brand in general 👍.

Sounds like you gave this poor soul a grilling, @Norfolk Enchance! Talking of opening sunroofs with a verbal command, that reminds me many years ago when me and the people I worked with all drove company cars and it was a bit of an event when someone got a new car, everyone usually went out to see it and look around it (as you do ;)). I remember an excited colleague running into the office to say that someone's new car had verbal controls for the audio system and when the driver said "volume up" the sound increased, and "volume down", the sound went down. Bearing in mind this was probably about the mid-90s, this chap was excited about the technology and was ranting about it like a lunatic. I went out to have a look ad asked the person with the new car if this was true, he replied no, and showed me that he'd been sneakily using the volume controls on the steering wheel to change the volume whilst speaking, and this chap fell for it hook, line and sinker! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Ah, the good old days...

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom