Loss of battery power while laid up

StEvnut

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
We recently took a 16 day road trip in our Motor Home so the MG5 was in our garage for approximately 18 days with a 35% charge at the beginning. When I went to get her out she was down to 20% and asking to be charged.
I’ve read about this possibility but never experienced it, last long park up was only a week and no significant loss of juice.
Anyone else had this disappointment?

Something draining the 12v battery and the main batt recharging it?

There are usually some systems that run even when the car is not working, particularly immobiliser and alarms (maybe other things with electric cars). So I suppose the main battery tops up the 12V battery. But I have to admit that is one hell of a lot of power to have drained - roughly 1kWhr/day!!
Could you have made a mistake with your records??

It shouldn't lose anything, the HV is isolated when the car is turned off. The only thing I can think of is that the battery was warm when left and cold when restarted, but the amount lost seems a lot even for the battery cooling down. Or maybe it equalised itself ?

There are usually some systems that run even when the car is not working, particularly immobiliser and alarms (maybe other things with electric cars). So I suppose the main battery tops up the 12V battery. But I have to admit that is one hell of a lot of power to have drained - roughly 1kWhr/day!!
Could you have made a mistake with your records??
From my browsing of the manuals, I think that only happens on the Long Range, and possibly only the exclusive (as it has a * by it in the long range manual.) They refer to it as ‘intelligent charging’

It’s commonly known as ‘vampire drain’. The Tesla loses about 2-4miles a night. That car of course has a lot of remote data going on when using the app and updating etc. Your losses look excessive.

Thanks for your thoughts guys - interesting subject. I’m going to keep a check on it in case it’s an indication of something amiss.
mid we say it lost 10% of real range in 18days then it’s only 1 mile a night. I just wonder how normal it is. Using it everyday you’d struggle to notice.

Thanks for your thoughts guys - interesting subject. I’m going to keep a check on it in case it’s an indication of something amiss.
mid we say it lost 10% of real range in 18days then it’s only 1 mile a night. I just wonder how normal it is. Using it everyday you’d struggle to notice.

I've not seen any range drop overnight but frequently it seems to be 1% lower than when it was switched off, even if it was just a short while ago. Seems to be more of a rounding error than actual power loss.

I definitely wouldn't want to leave the car under 50% charged for any significant period though. The battery really wants to be as close to or just over 50% when not in use.

I've not seen any range drop overnight but frequently it seems to be 1% lower than when it was switched off, even if it was just a short while ago. Seems to be more of a rounding error than actual power loss.

I definitely wouldn't want to leave the car under 50% charged for any significant period though. The battery really wants to be as close to or just over 50% when not in use.
Thanks
I did wonder if I should have left more. Most batteries are best left near full, but that was the old lead acid type. Not so sure about the new lithium batteries but it’s a good principle, I must see if it’s mentioned in the hand book.

Thanks
I did wonder if I should have left more. Most batteries are best left near full, but that was the old lead acid type. Not so sure about the new lithium batteries but it’s a good principle, I must see if it’s mentioned in the hand book.
Best not left fully charged or nearly fully discharged. 40% to 80% is a good range to leave the car parked up.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom