MG4 - Loss of power in cold weather with over 30% battery

where does power come from to pre heat battery if parked up or does it require powering up to do it
The batteries if not plugged in to an active charger with the car charging, If plugged in it will take power from the charger....it does not work at the moment plugged in with no power. The car does not need to be on

When i drove to work today i set off with 32% battery and the car had lost most of its power, the acceleration was slow and felt like i had the handbrake on, i was struggling to go over 50mph on the bypass and then struggling to get over 22mph going up a hill in a 30 zone.
Im going to assume that with it being -6 degrees that the car automatically went in to power save mode as it couldn't access all the power in the battery.
Is anyone else having similar issues?
Does your car free wheel down hill in N
Are you driving with hand brake on ?? sounds like some restriction

Does your car free wheel down hill in N
Are you driving with hand brake on ?? sounds like some restriction

And how would it be possible to drive with the handbrake on…? (It’s not)
I get what you’re implying, brake drag.
But it would have to be huge brake drag ti get what the OP and I have experienced.
It’s not that.

I had a repeat of the lumpy/slow acceleration and restricted top speed again tonight (low 50s mph was all I was getting)
Battery was at 40%…
Now pretty convinced that’s where the fault lies, a combination of me asking for full power up a hill and 40% battery.
I need to video it to show the dealer in case they can’t replicate it.
I also want to try the car at 40% on the flat.
I’ll get one of the kids to video me with foot to the floor and show the restricted speed.

Which mode was the car in @bowfer ? According to the user manual, “Sport Mode concentrates on providing more power to enhance the performance.” so wondering if that would stop you seeing this restriction? Very odd behaviour from the car.

Which mode was the car in @bowfer ? According to the user manual, “Sport Mode concentrates on providing more power to enhance the performance.” so wondering if that would stop you seeing this restriction? Very odd behaviour from the car.

Normal
I’ll try sport mode at some point, although it would only be an experiment and not something Id entertain this all the time.

Hi all,

I picked up my MG4 yesterday and experienced the same thing on my way to work this morning. The car would not go beyond 50mph on the motorway, despite my foot being on the floor. I wondered if it's me being new and having the wrong settings, but it's worried me a bit as I'm supposed to be on a longer drive this weekend.
Did this get resolved for people?

@bowfer has recorded his woes with this issue on another thread. I regret to say that the outcome was not good (and he had to wade through a lot of MG bs).

Thread is

MG4 Restricted speed - weird​

@bowfer has recorded his woes with this issue on another thread. I regret to say that the outcome was not good (and he had to wade through a lot of MG bs).

Thread is

MG4 Restricted speed - weird​

Link to ‘my’ thread isn’t working.
I’d fix it if I knew how 😊

Hi all,

I picked up my MG4 yesterday and experienced the same thing on my way to work this morning. The car would not go beyond 50mph on the motorway, despite my foot being on the floor. I wondered if it's me being new and having the wrong settings, but it's worried me a bit as I'm supposed to be on a longer drive this weekend.
Did this get resolved for people?

Your car is new?
Firstly, absolutely rule out that you didn’t have any speed limiter function on.
Once you’ve done that, see if it happens again and try and video it.
If it does it again, I promise you there is no fix for it at present…none…and you should exercise your right to <30 day rejection.

It seemed to me the intention was more provision of the name, for the search function, rather than a link. I could be wrong though.

Ah ok
Let’s try this as a link to my thread then

There has been talk of a BMS update for some but not clear if this fixes the issue or not. Definitely go back to your dealer and ask them to investigate.

IIRC a poster mentioned he’d had some sort of update in…December…?…that he claimed fixed the issue he was having?
Now, you’d have thought that if this fix worked MG wouldn’t have gone for a whole traction motor replacement in my car in February.
You’d also think cars being delivered now (mine was November) would be sorted.
So I think the balance of evidence is this BMS update (if it exists) isn’t fixing this issue.

IIRC a poster mentioned he’d had some sort of update in…December…?…that he claimed fixed the issue he was having?
Now, you’d have thought that if this fix worked MG wouldn’t have gone for a whole traction motor replacement in my car in February.
You’d also think cars being delivered now (mine was November) would be sorted.
So I think the balance of evidence is this BMS update (if it exists) isn’t fixing this issue.
And at the same time people consider MG incompetent.

Its not inconceivable the “fix” wasnt communicated correctly around the company or even your fault being 100% clear to MG china in communications.

These things are totally possible in the company i work with

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 498 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel