MG4 - Loss of power in cold weather with over 30% battery

As an ex IT professional I am not concerned myself for exactly the reasons you point out. So far how many forum members have raised it? Not enough to wake me up. Bowfer may have got a Friday car and I do sympathise with his car issues but let's keep it in context surely?

All of the other problems I’ve suffered with my car are very common.
So I don’t think “Friday car” applies and I’d be bloody furious with any dealer that used that term.

Bowfer just get furious with me because I stated it in context of the power loss i.e this thread and I am not a dealer🤬...

Last edited:
Bowfer just get furious with me because I stated it in context of the power loss i.e this thread and I am not a dealer🤬...

So this issue makes it a “Friday car”, but all the other issues don’t?
I also didn’t say you were a dealer.
I said if any dealer tried to excuse all the issues I’ve had as it being a Friday car, which is a daft notion anyway in these days of automation, I’d be furious and showing them this forum.

1670760852997.jpeg

Must be a lot of Friday cars out there with the amount of issues

In modern car production is there such a thing as a “Friday” car?

@Michael1982 hope this suggestion doesn’t sound daft, and I don’t think anyone else has mentioned this, but could it have been a traction issue and the car was cutting power due to lack of grip?

Friday was when they fitted the undertrays....Bowfer I understand your anger/frustration but please don't bust a blood vessel😡

@Michael1982 hope this suggestion doesn’t sound daft, and I don’t think anyone else has mentioned this, but could it have been a traction issue and the car was cutting power due to lack of grip?
Yes there is a modern Friday car last one I had was a Seat whose build date was the day of the factory shut down for summer which is common in spain 😂 the gear box failed on that one.

Traction control could be a possibility if the car detected slipping due to high torque.

No, there’s no such thing as a Friday car any more, throwback to the British leyland days when production was manual and workers didn’t care.
Traction isn’t the issue here, the car simply doesn’t have enough power to cause traction problems at speed.
Besides, the traction control gives a visual indication on the screen in front of you (bottom left IIRC)
If you’ve not seen it yourself, you’ve not triggered the traction control.
In my and the OP’s case there is zero indication on any display as to why our speeds are being limited.

No, there’s no such thing as a Friday car any more, throwback to the British leyland days when production was manual and workers didn’t care.
Traction isn’t the issue here, the car simply doesn’t have enough power to cause traction problems at speed.
Besides, the traction control gives a visual indication on the screen in front of you (bottom left IIRC)
If you’ve not seen it yourself, you’ve not triggered the traction control.
In my and the OP’s case there is zero indication on any display as to why our speeds are being limited.

It was not a traction issue, i know the difference between power being backed off due to the wheels slipping and there being almost no power.

The car felt like it only had about 40bhp, it very slowly accelerated to 40 and held that speed for about 10 seconds then it gradually crept up to 50 and held at that speed for a while and no matter what i did with the throttle it would not go faster and eventually it got up to 60. There was no ice or snow on the roads and they had been gritted, it was simply unable to access the right amount of power from the battery.
I drove in much worse conditions today with snow all over the roads and about the same temperature but i set off with 65% battery so it had plenty of power with no issues ,

Friday was when they fitted the undertrays....Bowfer I understand your anger/frustration but please don't bust a blood vessel😡
The chap had written - "bust a blood vessel - the reference "li up fatty" is from a song by Bad Manners, the lead singer of which is Buster Bloodvessel. no insult intended or given.

I'm sure there are a lot more It was not a traction issue, i know the difference between power being backed off due to the wheels slipping and there being almost no power.
The car felt like it only had about 40bhp, it very slowly accelerated to 40 and held that speed for about 10 seconds then it gradually crept up to 50 and held at that speed for a while and no matter what i did with the throttle it would not go faster and eventually it got up to 60. There was no ice or snow on the roads and they had been gritted, it was simply unable to access the right amount of power from the battery.
I drove in much worse conditions today with snow all over the roads and about the same temperature but i set off with 65% battery so it had plenty of power with no issues ,

I need this bloody weather to sod off so I can try putting my foot down.
Every day that goes by is another day the dealer thinks there’s no issue and any rejection becomes more difficult.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 498 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back