LOST KEY

LUNA

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
As my dealer is shut for a couple of days I hope someone can put my mind at rest. I have lost the spare ‘key’ to my new MG4.
I have read about people being locked in their vehicle, (even on a test drive), and so would love to know the procedure and how long I will have to wait ?

Have you had the software update that fixes this issue? If not, you could always escape via the boot I suppose.

Thanks for the quick response, I really need comforting that it won’t be a problem quickly replacing my lost spare key

I know it sounds crazy, and probably looked just as crazy, but as a family, we each practised escaping via the boot given the know issues with the lock in problem.

Shouldn’t be necessary but it helped put our minds at rest should something happen.

I know it sounds crazy, and probably looked just as crazy, but as a family, we each practised escaping via the boot given the know issues with the lock in problem.

Shouldn’t be necessary but it helped put our minds at rest should something happen.
Prudent no doubt, but not a great advert for a brand in 2023 :oops:

I can tell you that generally (not MG4 specific) dealers will keep spare key remotes in stock, as they are always being lost.
These blank remotes then need programming to the specific car which is an easy task for the dealer. They may need your V5 and other forms of ID too.
The kicker is… they ain’t cheap. £140+ is about the going rate. Also it may be worth having both keys reprogrammed in case the lost key falls into criminal hands.
Fitting a tracker (I know that it’s a bit late) to your keys is a good idea. Something like the Apple AirTag or Tile. Good Luck.

Escape from Stalag Lutf III MG 🤪

My ex-demo leaf was supplied with only one key. My local Nissan dealership provided one the same day I asked. It was expensive though, almost £200 if I remember correctly.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 522 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 48 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back