Low mileage service plan observations

AussiePete

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Folks,

There are a few threads out there about service costs and service plans, however there didn’t seem to be one that consolidates all the findings in one place, so I thought it worth sharing my experience investigating the MG ZS EV Low mileage service plans. If nothing else there are a few key points (like point 6) which are worthy of knowing about before you buy into a low mileage plan.

For those who aren’t aware, MG (through a company called e-dynamics) offer service plans for the MG ZS EV covering the service costs of the car. E-dynamics arrange them, however your plan agreement is direct with the garage. There are two types of plan - standard mileage (up to 15k miles p.a.) and low mileage (up to 10k miles p.a). General details on the plans can be found here. There are pro’s and con’s to Service plans, but for me they give you (or should give you ... read point 6 to find out more) fixed price costs for the period of your service plan.

What I have found:

1) Service plan pricing is not consistent across dealers, there’s a significant price variance from dealer to dealer, so shop around to get the best price. You may find it ends up being better value to travel to a dealer further away if you'll end up saving a decent wack

2) I've obtained quotes for both standard and low mileage plans. You can get an online quote for a standard service plan at your local dealer here. To get a proper low milage quote call MG service plan team on 03454135360

3) There's a big difference in price between the standard and low mileage plans. Standard 5 year service plan for me is £791 while low mileage one is £568. That's £220 difference for low milage

4) Both standard and low mileage plans include a management fee of £1.20 for each month of the service plan - so for a 5 year plan £72'ish is just admin fee. This fee can be reduced to £12 if you pay the full service plan cost upfront

5) if it's looking like you might do more than allotted mileage (ie low mileage 10k pa) then get car serviced at milage interval not year interval (ie if you're at 20k miles get serviced even if you're only part way through year 2). If you don’t do this you’ll void the service plan next time you go in for a service and you’ll have to pay full price for the service.

6) the low mileage service plan does not include some items that you might consider standard in a service plan. For example anti-corrosion check is not included (my garage has said £10 for this), nor is year 2 brake fluid change (again estimated £40 for this), nor are any diagnostic checks. These and any other checks will be an extra cost at the garage when you pick up your car. These items are however included if you take out the full priced service plan

7) your service plan is not transferable should you sell the car (however it can apparently be transferred to another MG if you buy one) and as it’s an agreement between you and a specific garage you can’t change garages so you’re stuck if you don’t like the garage or the garage goes out of business/stops doing MG’s

My conclusion

Service plans are not for everyone and it may be better to pay as you go for servicing. However, the result for me is a low mileage 5 year service plan for £514 - that's 30% less than the full service plan price and I understand there maybe some additional costs at the time of servicing (ie corrosion checks and brake oil change). I’m still undecided, but at least now I am well informed on what the options are, and if I don’t go with the service plan I have a good idea of what the individual services will be from the quotes I have now saved away

Attachments

• FC3872C1-C429-4325-A77B-C905C00AB19B.jpeg
    FC3872C1-C429-4325-A77B-C905C00AB19B.jpeg
    107.6 KB · Views: 456
  • 8911050B-FB24-425E-850A-C4B050743813.jpeg
    8911050B-FB24-425E-850A-C4B050743813.jpeg
    71.9 KB · Views: 448
Last edited:
Folks,

There are a few threads out there about service costs and service plans, however there didn’t seem to be one that consolidates all the findings in one place, so I thought it worth sharing my experience investigating the MG ZS EV Low mileage service plans. If nothing else there are a few key points (like point 6) which are worthy of knowing about before you buy into a low mileage plan.

For those who aren’t aware, MG (through a company called e-dynamics) offer service plans for the MG ZS EV covering the service costs of the car. E-dynamics arrange them, however your plan agreement is direct with the garage. There are two types of plan - standard mileage (up to 15k miles p.a.) and low mileage (up to 10k miles p.a). General details on the plans can be found here. There are pro’s and con’s to Service plans, but for me they give you (or should give you ... read point 6 to find out more) fixed price costs for the period of your service plan.

What I have found:

1) Service plan pricing is not consistent across dealers, there’s a significant price variance from dealer to dealer, so shop around to get the best price. You may find it ends up being better value to travel to a dealer further away if you'll end up saving a decent wack

2) I've obtained quotes for both standard and low mileage plans. You can get an online quote for a standard service plan at your local dealer here. To get a proper low milage quote call MG service plan team on 03454135360

3) There's a big difference in price between the standard and low mileage plans. Standard 5 year service plan for me is £791 while low mileage one is £568. That's £220 difference for low milage

4) Both standard and low mileage plans include a management fee of £1.20 for each month of the service plan - so for a 5 year plan £72'ish is just admin fee. This fee can be reduced to £12 if you pay the full service plan cost upfront

5) if it's looking like you might do more than allotted mileage (ie low mileage 10k pa) then get car serviced at milage interval not year interval (ie if you're at 20k miles get serviced even if you're only part way through year 2). If you don’t do this you’ll void the service plan next time you go in for a service and you’ll have to pay full price for the service.

6) the low mileage service plan does not include some items that you might consider standard in a service plan. For example anti-corrosion check is not included (my garage has said £10 for this), nor is year 2 brake fluid change (again estimated £40 for this), nor are any diagnostic checks. These and any other checks will be an extra cost at the garage when you pick up your car. These items are however included if you take out the full priced service plan

7) your service plan is not transferable should you sell the car (however it can apparently be transferred to another MG if you buy one) and as it’s an agreement between you and a specific garage you can’t change garages so you’re stuck if you don’t like the garage or the garage goes out of business/stops doing MG’s

My conclusion

Service plans are not for everyone and it may be better to pay as you go for servicing. However, the result for me is a low mileage 5 year service plan for £514 - that's 30% less than the full service plan price and I understand there maybe some additional costs at the time of servicing (ie corrosion checks and brake oil change). I’m still undecided, but at least now I am well informed on what the options are, and if I don’t go with the service plan I have a good idea of what the individual services will be from the quotes I have now saved away
Very interesting. Thanks for this

Folks,

What I have found:

My conclusion

Hi. Thanks very much. The link for the documents that show what is covered in the standard service versus the low mileage service plan isn’t working (MG have taken it down). Any chance you could share the documents if you downloaded them? Much appreciated.

Hi. Thanks very much. The link for the documents that show what is covered in the standard service versus the low mileage service plan isn’t working (MG have taken it down). Any chance you could share the documents if you downloaded them? Much appreciated.
I can’t find them in my files so it maybe I didn’t save them. To be honest there wasn’t a great deal on the MG pages and as such not a lot of difference between the low mileage and normal.

Found this on the MG EV Owners club FB group. As I said not much there

BFB6A263-6438-468E-90B1-9FBFDFFA8C15.png

Great write up and makes it alot clearer. I was quoted £169 for my 2nd service but the dealership didn't seem convinced them selves it was the right price but tried to sell it to me and my experience with ev serving i knew it was the wrong price and it was an ice price.

so reading this thread, MG themselves don't do a service plan that you can use at any dealer?

all service plans are tied to a single dealer?

so reading this thread, MG themselves don't do a service plan that you can use at any dealer?

all service plans are tied to a single dealer?
MG contracted service plans out to Ecodynamics who arrange it with dealers. That was up until recently when MG stopped working with Ecodynamics (existing contracts continue, just no new ones). Now you have to work with your dealer to get a service plan.

thats not good,

my hyundai and skoda before the service plan was with the manufacturer, the dealer you had the service at just put a claim in for the cost

if you had an issue or thought the service you got was not up to scratch you could use any authorised dealer, if you are locked into a dealer or franchise it takes that ability away

it also means you have no standard price for plans

Mines booked in for it's first service on Wednesday at Chaplehouse MG in Wigan, I think it will definitely qualify for a low mileage service with just 876 miles on the clock :eek: :D
I’ve not done 1k yet and my second service is due in July!
wondering if it’s worth keeping when my 3 year contract is up…☹️

I can’t say I really trust any garage when a really low mileage car comes in for service.
after all how do you prove that oils/liquids have been changed?
I’d like a video of the process to be sure but that isn’t going to happen nor will a garage allow one to observe the process.
real shame - could start a business doing videos for drivers if the garages would cooperate…

Folks,

dmin fee. This fee can be reduced to £12 if you pay the full service plan cost upfront

Thank you so much for posting this. I've had my MG for a couple of weeks now and wanted to find the best service plan for it. Your summary makes me want to go for the 5 year plan. Does the AA cover come as standard on those service plans? It is something I read you get when you service at a dealer, and the AA cover alone would make it worth it.

I read that if you do not service at a dealer you lose the 7yr warranty, but more experienced users here can confirm.

I read that if you do not service at a dealer you lose the 7yr warranty, but more experienced users here can confirm.
The small print on the warranty says "MG approved garage" and "original MG parts" or something similar. If you can find a MG approved garage it might be cheaper.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom