Merged thread: Automatic Emergency Braking activating for no reason

A quick flick of the right indicator, as you approached the parked cars, would have prevented this.
This is where it stopped, wide road marked parking bays.
STOP.jpg

I'm sure the system is calibrated to be on the safe side but this is silly.

Quite normal, but only when ACC selected around town (like this) - never used acc in town for past 12 months
They aren't close though, I didn't have to manuovre around them I was travelling in a straight line.

Sadly I think my next car will an older one converted to EV; I love technology until it gets in my way.

They aren't close though, I didn't have to manuovre around them I was travelling in a straight line.

Sadly I think my next car will an older one converted to EV; I love technology until it gets in my way.
Yeah, it should not have gone off there if you were on the right hand side of your half of the road. I suspect it may have seen those shiny marks on the road where the tarmac overlaps and thought they were lane markings.

Not unique, as neither have I. The LKA, even on the default, is very mild - the only issue I have with that is that it seems completely random, I can drive over miles of white lines, and it will not complain, then suddenly twitch with no lines at all... huh? But it's no big deal.

I've not had any sudden braking...
I've only had it "slam on" once the first day I had it.
In a village, van delivering my side, just went to drive around (nothing oncoming) as I usually would, car tried to break both our necks!! and made me look like a right twonk into the bargain!🤣
I now religiously indicate (regardless of if I have someone to indicate to) so the car knows I have seen the offending vehicle and am taking my own measures to avoid crashing into it!

AFAIK, the radar "alignment" process is just self learning! They drive it along a straight road (which apparently needs regular posts or obstacles either side - good luck finding that road) and stay within a specified speed range then give it back to you.
Hi, do you have a reference for this? It potentially gives hope that the cars will improve over time by themselves. I’d got into the routine of turning off the collision avoidance and LKA settings at the start of each journey, but they no longer stay off. This also suggests that either a software update has happened over the air or a bug has caused the software to function differently.

Yeah, it should not have gone off there if you were on the right hand side of your half of the road. I suspect it may have seen those shiny marks on the road where the tarmac overlaps and thought they were lane markings.

I get the same thing if I'm using the ACC to handle a 20 mph speed limit, even with no shiny marks on the road. Sometimes it just decides that parked cars are an issue even if there's plenty clearance. I just use the accelerator to push past it. I've noticed that if I'm following another car it usually doesn't do it, presumably because it sees that the other car (which it is locked on to) is getting through.

Last edited:
This happened to me just the other day, approaching Morrisons roundabout in Dumfries. I was just moving on to the roundabout at no more than a 5MPH and it slammed the brakes on. ACC wasn't engaged nor LKA. No traffic in the way, no pedestrians. I spoke to the dealer and it had happened to them as well. No explanation given.
Does the front facing camera play a part in emergency braking?
I've also had the ACC pick up parked cars and brake hard, this used to happen with the KonaEV I had before.

This happened to me just the other day, approaching Morrisons roundabout in Dumfries. I was just moving on to the roundabout at no more than a 5MPH and it slammed the brakes on. ACC wasn't engaged nor LKA. No traffic in the way, no pedestrians. I spoke to the dealer and it had happened to them as well. No explanation given.
Does the front facing camera play a part in emergency braking?
I've also had the ACC pick up parked cars and brake hard, this used to happen with the KonaEV I had before.
Yes it does, together with the LIDAR (?) sensor low down on the front of the car. The camera detects object type (with a rough estimate of distance) and the sensor detects more-accurate distance.

I believe there are software updates available to address issues with these devices.

Not had this yet, only a few warning alerts when approaching a parked car / van or series of parked cars on either side of the road where you have to zig zag. As soon as I get the alert on the screen I always react by braking a bit or adjusting the steering a bit more away from the first obstacle. On VAG cars this always avoided the car thinking you were not aware / or reacting and hence the very sudden emergency stop was avoided.

Not sure with MG yet but are any of you getting the alert first and then the emergency stop ? or just getting the emergency stop with no prior alert ?.

I’m from Australia, just got my 51 excite (your 51sesr) I guess. It braked hard with no object in front and freaked my wife and myself out. Photo below for reference. Maybe it picked up the bins, or the car on the verge, but that’s wayyy too sensitive. How do you guys find out if there’s updates? Very frustrating not to have OTA and only dealers can update.

Attachments

• IMG_0505.jpeg
    IMG_0505.jpeg
    120.7 KB · Views: 65
I have the equivalent car, driven nearly 5,000 miles, and that has never happened. The ARB activated once, but there was a reason - a man had stepped out on to the road from between two parked cars. He was only going to open his own car, but I think my car thought he might be about to walk right in front of us. I can cope with that sort of thing once in a while if there is the potential for it to avoid an accident.

I think it activated another time as I was drawing up behind another car waiting at road-works lights. The ARB came on simultaneously with me braking myself, but I don't think I braked that hard. Again, that's only once, and it didn't even faze me. I think you may need some sort of adjustment to camera or sensor or however it works.

Yup the emergency braking happened within the first week of ownership (Trophy with rear wiper model). Wife was driving about 30 in a 40 zone and next minute car was in neutral, handbag was in the passenger footwell (had been on seat), and the wife was a bit bemused
Thankfully the car behind was some way away, though he did beep his horn (likely to say why the hell did you stop on an open road)!

There was no car in front and no traffic coming the other way. She thinks it was shadows (of trees) on the road that the car saw as an obstruction
Setting is now routinely manually set to off every time we start the car.

Have managed to not hit anything in 80 years (wife and I combined) of driving without nanny aids, so hopefully can continue to be safe without

Just had this for the first time. Manouvering to turn right, no cars, no people. Nothing.
Jams on the brakes - felt like emegerncy braking in driving test. Stopped car.
Car completely misread the scene in front of it.

Hmmmmm. and if something hit you MG would be responsible !!

Low autumn sun can confuse the camera on these systems.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 518 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back