Merged thread: Automatic Emergency Braking activating for no reason

That is an incredible list of false positives. And if there is a crash they'll point at all the exclusions.

That is an incredible list of false positives. And if there is a crash they'll point at all the exclusions.
MG can't be held responsible for somebody crashing into you if you brake suddenly, it's the other driver's inattention or failure to leave sufficient space to brake.

Know what you mean, but we are now in the world where the car takes control and violently brakes for no reason. If the human was in control they would not have braked. If you are approaching something that needs you to slow down or stop then others seem the same.

If the car software/hardware makes a wrong decision then nobody else sees that.

As I point out above, the manual lists substantial false positives, yet the car always activates it on car start even though the manual points out it cannot be relied on.

New world indeed. Bottom line is that the current MG implementation is flawed.

As I keep pointing out, it has always been the case that something invisible to the car behind can force a driver to slam on the brakes. That isn't to excuse a substandard system (if it is substandard, mine is fine and I always leave it on) but if you go into the back of someone it's your own damn fault.

Maybe something needs to be recalibrated, maybe a camera or something.

[1] Since the first service some 2000 miles ago I have experienced on 3 occasions now, whilst driving at about 20mph what seems to be an emergency stop for no apparent reason I.e nothing passing behind or in front, luckily no other cars were close enough to cause an accident.
Do you get any audible warning first or a dash display ? If so you may be able to avoid the emergency braking by taking action yourself first. You could try braking yourself (but not as hard), or accelerating away and steering away from any obstacle you see ahead if possible. That way the car knows you are taking action and may not have to stop itself !

From the manual :

Note: In some cases, the driver may not have
anticipated any braking intervention and does
not want to apply the brakes whilst the forward
collision system is braking heavily, the driver can
temporarily cancel this operation by heavily pressing
the accelerator pedal after ensuring that it is safe to
do so.

The time it did it with me (in response to a pedestrian starting to walk on to the road) it was so fast I would never have had time to do any of that. One second I was driving happily along the road, next instant I was stopped.

I have an early MG4 Trophy long range which has now covered 17000 miles, had its first service with lots of updates, and in general terms has but that was resolved with a software update.

SNIP

[2] Also since the service and the updates I have had to turn off Lane keeping assist every time I get in the car (tedious and boring) as I find the action of the so called assist violent and irritating. Is there away of turning the dam thing off as I can’t recall it being noticeable before.
In that case I'll not be taking mine to MG for its 1st service, if I have to suffer the LKA defaulting to on every time I get in.

Do you get any audible warning first or a dash display ? If so you may be able to avoid the emergency braking by taking action yourself first. You could try braking yourself (but not as hard), or accelerating away and steering away from any obstacle you see ahead if possible. That way the car knows you are taking action and may not have to stop itself !

From the manual :

Note: In some cases, the driver may not have
anticipated any braking intervention and does
not want to apply the brakes whilst the forward
collision system is braking heavily, the driver can
temporarily cancel this operation by heavily pressing
the accelerator pedal after ensuring that it is safe to
do so.
Nothing. It's instant. Daughter in front passenger thrown about.
Think of an emergency stop in driving test - that is what happens. One moment your are moving, the next moment you are not. And because there was no real-world reason to brake you are not even prepared for it. Real shock. It's all over and done with in a second. The manual is farcical. Car's doing emergency braking not gliding to a stop over 10's of meters.. And remeber we were turning right on quiet suburban road so was around the 10-20mph so it's instant stop.

They key point is that there was no human reason to brake. No matter the points/arguments/hypotheticals on here that is what the car's hardware/software decided to do. Nothing to do with any human. So who/what is at fault.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can turn this feature off I assume? Blimey the wife is going to love this, she's always in a mega rush in a morning to go to work, having to wait for the car to boot up and then switch off all the so called safety features isn't going to go down well with her I can tell you.

You can turn this feature off I assume? Blimey the wife is going to love this, she's always in a mega rush in a morning to go to work, having to wait for the car to boot up and then switch off all the so called safety features isn't going to go down well with her I can tell you.
You can change what it does and the sensitivity. Which is all forgotten the next time you start the car. And we all know how much we all enjoy that .... ;-)

I just get the warning beeps with mine, it's on default settings, on and medium sensitivity.
The only time it's actually done any braking was when I pulled up close behind a bus that was at a bus stop and a car coming the other way was taking his time and I tried to pull out too early.

What's annoying is that you can turn the rear emergency braking off permanently, which has similar issues, but not the forward. Like everybody else I've had random emergency stops that can't be explained by sensitivity to cars in front - there not being any at the time within a close distance.

What's annoying is that you can turn the rear emergency braking off permanently, which has similar issues, but not the forward. Like everybody else I've had random emergency stops that can't be explained by sensitivity to cars in front - there not being any at the time within a close distance.
15000 miles in, no its been okay (on mine LKA defaults to off all the time), only issues is around town passing parked car at side of road, with cruise control ON - only needed in wales in the 20mph limits.

Is this for the Luxury trim? On my SE SR I've tapped a meter tall boulder going backwards, lack of a camera and horrible parking sensors was the cause. Never experienced a rear AEB. I'm on a MY23 Mk1 with R13 btw.

However, I've almost gotten rear ended 4 times where I was closing in on the car ahead with enough stopping distance while applying medium brake force and it's just some days the AEB says brace! and the tailgater behind me gets a random brake check. I push the accelerator every time but sometimes it's really determined to come to a stop and rest for couple seconds, few times I was able to avoid the full stop with pushing the accelerator all the way.

Is this for the Luxury trim? On my SE SR I've tapped a meter tall boulder going backwards, lack of a camera and horrible parking sensors was the cause. Never experienced a rear AEB. I'm on a MY23 Mk1 with R13 btw.

However, I've almost gotten rear ended 4 times where I was closing in on the car ahead with enough stopping distance while applying medium brake force and it's just some days the AEB says brace! and the tailgater behind me gets a random brake check. I push the accelerator every time but sometimes it's really determined to come to a stop and rest for couple seconds, few times I was able to avoid the full stop with pushing the accelerator all the way.
Could this be a badly calibrated camera/radar?

There is a Aussie video on YT in which this happens after the driver has just turned right into a suburban road which is tree lined and there are sporadic large drops of rain hitting the windscreen. I,m thinking that is it possible that the radar has detected the tree " crossing " the path of the car and then a large rain drop has just hit the sweet spot on the windscreen causing the algorithm to fire up the emergency brake. The forward facing dash camera does not show any other cause for this to happen. I,ve never experienced it on mine , but I try to remember to disable it .

My MG4 EV Forum suddenly slammed on its brakes when I was travelling at 20 mph up a slight incline having just turned a corner. This could have been extremely dangerous had I been in traffic. I now worry the same is going to happen at any moment. My foot was nowhere near the brake pedal, and my hand was nowhere near the handbrake. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Yes, there has been a few discussions around this issue. I haven't had it myself. Don't know if there was any solution to this?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 518 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back