Merged thread: Automatic Emergency Braking activating for no reason

I've merged this thread in with one of the existing ones about the issue. Be warned, more merges might happen here, in the hope of collecting all the experience and information in one place.

OK, four threads have been merged. I don't think they overlap by time periods, so the posts should still be in their original order. Hopefully this will keep everything together and make it easier for people to find the information and advice they're looking for.

Last edited:
So the same has just happened to me, not one other car around, driving about 20mph and suddenly the car stopped, my dash said emergency brake applied. I didn't press anything everything seemed to turn off and I couldn't even get out of my car. It seemed like ages I was sat there and suddenly the car rebooted itself and I was able to drive away but very shaken up and nervous about getting back in my car. Who do we even contact about this?

Last edited by a moderator:
So the same has just happened to me, not one other car around, driving about 20mph and suddenly the car stopped, my dash said emergency break applied. I didn't press anything everything seemed to turn off and I couldn't even get out of my car. It seemed like ages I was sat there and suddenly the car rebooted itself and I was able to drive away but very shaken up and nervous about getting back in my car. Who do we even contact about this?
Your dealer?

I hvae been back to the dealer 3 times regarding this. As there has been no resolution after software updates and in my opinion this being dangerous I contacted DVSA.
This is the response after a week.

I have been passed your case to consider which has the above reference number.

When assessing whether to approach a manufacturer with a concern, DVSA use a code of practice which takes into account things such as the warnings given to drivers and the ability to bring the vehicle to a safe stop.

DVSA have undergone road testing in various MG models and observed the following:

• The Active Emergency Braking (AEB) function can be disabled before each journey via the large display screen.
  • The vehicles have been driven in different road going scenarios and operation of the AEB function has been experienced without incident
  • The AEB function is a driver assistant system, designed to increase the overall safety of the vehicle. Whilst the AEB function may seem aggressive when operating, it would have to be to ensure the vehicle comes to a stop in an emergency situation. In addition to this, the function will always operate the brake lights so any vehicle following at a safe distance should also be able to be brought to a safe controlled stop.

DVSA test driving of MG vehicles did not conclude the driver assistant system AEB presented a safety risk to the driver and other road users. In addition, the system can be disabled prior to setting off. Therefore, it cannot be determined a code of practice safety issue as defined by the General Product Safety Regulations 2005.

DVSA will not be pursuing the issue further with the manufacturer and this concludes the service we can provide with regard to the matter.

What rubbish are DVSA letting through now? I'm so sorry you've got this.

I like the fact they have just discounted which model and generalised also used a generic Email response.
I can just imagine in the office Bob, Ive got an email about AEB
Kev mate ive got a generic email to send back, dont forget to fill in the blanks with MG , job done. Arse covering complete.

Part of me with the faulty lka wishes I'd gone into the hedge bottom with it. Stroll on 2 years in April when I can get shut.

DVSA will not be pursuing the issue further with the manufacturer and this concludes the service we can provide with regard to the matter.
They have a point. As long as you can turn it off then responsibility for turning it off lies with you. Take it up with MG if you want the software to remember it being turned off. There is an inconsistency that on the Trophy you can permanently turn off the AEB when reversing, but not when driving forward...

Also, this is not something everyone is complaining about. It seems to be an issue with certain individual cars, not with the marque as a whole. My car has never operated the AAB out of the blue for no reason. I could quibble with its reason, but there's no denying there was a reason.

Are driver's still using the maximum sensitivity setting? I reduced mine after experiencing a couple of Emergency Braking events but since I reduced the sensitivity I have only had 1 warning and no braking.

Mine only becomes an irritation when I have ACC activated ... I can't recall any automatic braking event without it.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 498 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back