Mg 4 headlights failed to come on

Rudi

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE LR
After charging got into my mg 4 at about 8pm dark outside and went on my way. Guy flashed at me and said my headlights were not on even doe the screen indicated that they were on. Stopped the car looked at the front and they were in complete darkness even the day time running light were off . I toggeled the head lights and nothing. I shut down and locked down the car and still wouldn't come on when I unlocked it . I shut and locked the car again for about 3 mins and then they turned on again. Kind of makes it feel unrealiable now that I have to now physically to check my front lights to see if there on. Any one experience this. Had the car 3 months and all had been fine .

It's either a loose connection or a glitch in the software. Have a word with your dealer so the fault can at least be registered with MG.

Hi folks,
Had the same today. Failed to come on, didn't notice immediately as wasn't quite dark enough to notice but it quickly got that way! 😱 Got out, locked, unlocked- et voila!
Posting primary to follow if many others start reporting so we can highlight this to MG as this is a pretty nasty bug!

Code:
Build date: 24/02/2023
Entertainment system version: SWI68-1300R30
Telecommunication version: SNAKP18E32

Last edited:
More then likely a software bug but fairly sure getting stopped by the police won't be an excuse especially when you tell them that this dash is indicating that they are on

would help further to know build date, and possibly infotainment version and any recent firmware updates received for those of you who know

Photographic evidence would be good too: maybe just a video showing dash saying one thing, reality saying another.

Updated my post above with version numbers but believe it or not I can't work out how to find the car's firmware version (assuming it's different to the infotainment and telecommunication versions..?)! Even had a hunt on here for where to find it! Can anyone advise?
Will aim to get a video if/when it happens again.

Updated my post above with version numbers but believe it or not I can't work out how to find the car's firmware version (assuming it's different to the infotainment and telecommunication versions..?)! Even had a hunt on here for where to find it! Can anyone advise?
Will aim to get a video if/when it happens again.
There’s no way to tell. Only the dealers can access that information I’m afraid

Wow, really?! 🤪
Edit: I don't give up that easily - see photo!

Attachments

• Resize_20231108_210420_0246.jpg
    Resize_20231108_210420_0246.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
Yes always had. But I would assume if it happens again it would be a danger as driving down the motorway with the headlights of and no way to turn them on having to pull over on to hard shoulder and get out lock car weight for a minute then get back in. Seems to be a rare occurrence but that's what makes it even more dangerous as you rely on the auto lights and especially when the car is telling you that there working and clearly not.

I do and this is how I got to it.
The code I got from people saying to enter it on the phone tab, the five taps I worked out for myself! Is this the 'known approach' on Trophy's?
Yes - this has been known for months. Still no known way to access the SE's equivalent menu though. :(

PS - it is thought that the code is the birth date of the granddaughter of SAIC's chairman. :)

I had the same issue on my 23 Trophy tonight. Stopped, locked, and restarted and all good🤞. Has anyone found a solution to this yet as it was bloody unnerving on the M1 at 7pm.

It's only happened to me once and seems to be the case for everyone else but my problem is being caught off guard if it ever happens again and not knowing my headlights are on. Wouldn't mind too much if daytime lights were running but complete blackout of the front two headlights in winter months

It's only happened to me once and seems to be the case for everyone else but my problem is being caught off guard if it ever happens again and not knowing my headlights are on. Wouldn't mind too much if daytime lights were running but complete blackout of the front two headlights in winter months
I know what you mean. I didn’t realise until a big old chap riding shotgun in an old Pug 205 passed by me screaming his head off and waving his arms like a lunatic. Don’t know what looked worse, me with no lights on or him looking like something out of Super Mario Cart!

I have found that it is easy to hit the slider lighting switch on the left had stalk, this can switch the headlights from auto to off . I have done this when dipping the the main beam headlights. I now try to let the car use the auto headlights dipping.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 543 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back