MG 4 Trophy Battery failing to charge

Halibut

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy ER
My car battery has stopped all charging. Till a week ago it charged fine off the 3 pin granny charger. I've tried it on a 7kwh & high power 150 kwh chargers but neither Ac or Dc work. Dealer is proposing a diagnostic check taking 10 days!!! Meanwhile car sits in the garage. Any ideas on what could be wrong please? Car is MG4 Trophy

My car battery has stopped all charging. Till a week ago it charged fine off the 3 pin granny charger. I've tried it on a 7kwh & high power 150 kwh chargers but neither Ac or Dc work. Dealer is proposing a diagnostic check taking 10 days!!! Meanwhile car sits in the garage. Any ideas on what could be wrong please? Car is MG4 Trophy
Have a look at this Youtube channel. Might give you some info.

Do check charge limit set (in car or app) surprising how it can be set really low instead of 80%. Also check that charging time has not been activated / changed (this can happen)

Thanks Robf & Garmor. Everything set up on car correctly but still no charging. Electric car which won't charge about as much use as a chocolate teapot.
Any inspiration out there please?

We've had cars that won't charge on DC chargers, and we've had cars that won't charge on AC chargers - in the latter case that seems to have come on gradually, with the charge stopping earlier and earlier. I have not come across one that won't charge any way at all.

We've had cars that won't charge on DC chargers, and we've had cars that won't charge on AC chargers - in the latter case that seems to have come on gradually, with the charge stopping earlier and earlier. I have not come across one that won't charge any way at all.
Yeah mine wouldn't charge on AC. I eventually got it booked in with MG. They said there was nothing wrong with it. However when it eventually came back weeks later, it was fixed. I imagine they did some sort of software update

Dealer said all was resolved yesterday buy it was not. Today says it needs a new charging controller which they are now ordering. No idea when I will get car back but I have a replacement. Unfortunately it has no tow bar so cannot use my Trailer

Battery charging controller still not ordered! Apparently MG must themselves authorise any warrenty claims over £1000 & dealership still waiting. Cost of controller is £1700. Dealer has no idea of availability of the controller . For all I know it could be on a slow boat from China!
Complication now though is that Dealership (Howards) is not renewing its contract with MG & all its branches will close in May. Hopefully my claim will be sorted before then.
I fitted a towbar to my MG4 Trophy & need it to tow my trailer. Have already been incovenienced since March & if it continues I will have to hire a car with a trailer so would expect Dealership to cover the cost - they have no loan car with a towbar.
What would other members suggest? Could I reject the car if repair not done in a timely manner?

I think you are on a sticky wicket about getting the dealer to cover the cost of a loan car with a tow-bar. The tow-bar is an added extra and as long as they supply a car the same or similar to the original pre modified car they've done their job.
As for rejecting the car I'm sure other members will have more knowledge than me about that. All I can suggest is you have a word with Citizen's advice about rejecting the car and the tow-bar before tackling the dealer.

I would certainly put it in writing to the dealer that you are considering (and rightly so IMHO) rejecting the car. This what I had to do with our X-Power that we collected a week ago due to the vibration issue - certainly spurred them into action once I had mentioned rejection so you'd have nothing to lose doing this.

Maybe, maybe not ... it depends on exactly when (in September) the car was bought and exactly when (in March?) the fault was first notified to the seller.

(Based on today's date - yes, it's too late. But that's not what matters, rather it's when the fault was notified to the seller vs purchase/collection date).

I think you are on a sticky wicket about getting the dealer to cover the cost of a loan car with a tow-bar. The tow-bar is an added extra and as long as they supply a car the same or similar to the original pre modified car they've done their job.
As for rejecting the car I'm sure other members will have more knowledge than me about that. All I can suggest is you have a word with Citizen's advice about rejecting the car and the tow-bar before tackling the dealer.
Indeed. Dealers are not obligated to give you a loan car at all. Most will, to keep you happy, if they have one spare.

Otherwise it is on you to make provision for a suitable alternative vehicle in the meantime (eg via your insurance).

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 502 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back