MG 4 won’t charge

I'm having a similar issue.
I have a Hypervolt charger and solar panels. Today I am exporting a level 2.5kwh and so plugged the charger into my car for the first time. What I am seeing is the charging dropping in and out ... charging... 15 seconds later... stopped.... charging... stopped.

When I picked the car up from the dealer they had charged it to 100%. It now sits at 47%

My charger is exporting solar generation at 2.5kwh and a level of 32a and the car is to to 'AC Charging'

Car is locked and I am not near it. But I can see the 'start / stop' from the apps for the car and my charger.

I had no issues with the Hyundai I had. Anything I am missing here ?

What charge mode is the Hypervolt in? Change the Hypervolt charge mode to Eco or Boost to ensure your getting the minimum charge rate and see if the problem persists.

Now this weird. My Hypervolt has 3 modes. Boost, ECO & Super ECO. The second one means power from solar but also pull from grid if required, the last one solar only.
I switch from Super to Eco and the charge stabilised. So I switch back to Super and the charge is now stable. Car is charging at 2.02kwh

I spoke to soon.... it's back to dropping in and out. I don;t want to use ECO mode as I assume that will pull 5kwh from the grid supplementing the 2kWh the solar is generating.

What if you set the charging current (in the car, under the Battery tile) to 8A (or nearest value)? 8A charge current is about 1.84kW charge rate.

So, as suggested I set the charge rate to 8A on the car, now it is not charging behaviour is the same, start / stop. Also tried at 16A, same.
I sat in the car and watched. The car ramps up to about 2kwh and then almost immediate winds down to 0. Then a message appears on the screen behind the steering wheel... charging aborted.
Solar generation rate is constant right now at 2.5kwh.

I know you say constant at 2.5, but is there anything else in the house taking the power, especially a hot water diverter?

Nothing draining all the solar away. House is just drawing 220w at present. Anyway, hopefully I have sorted this by doing the usual 'IT Crowd' thing.... re-boot it. I disconnected the charger, re-booted the charger, then rebooted the infotainment system. Then connected again and viola !... seems maintain a stable 2kwh charge purely from solar.
The joys of IT :rolleyes:

Just got back from the garage and my 4 now seems to wait for the scheduled charge period.

upon connecting it starts charging immediately but then stops after a few seconds. I locked it and left it and it stayed dormant.

Then I went back to the car after an hour or so and initiated a charge at 8A manually from the dashboard to soak up excess solar and it did indeed start charging. Assuming it starts overnight for the scheduled charge I think this issue is sorted, now just the other 148.7 issues to solve…..

Might it be similar to Zappi in that your eco will charge at the car minimum with solar supplimented with grid if required. You might be just hovering about the car minimum with solar. Try eco and see charge rate, hopefully not 7kw/hr but car charge minimum?

Might it be similar to Zappi in that your eco will charge at the car minimum with solar supplimented with grid if required. You might be just hovering about the car minimum with solar. Try eco and see charge rate, hopefully not 7kw/hr but car charge minimum?
This is what I was thinking about the MG. Is there a minimum level of charge the car will accept? Considering it will work with a 'granny' charger I assume it is quite low ?

This is what I was thinking about the MG. Is there a minimum level of charge the car will accept? Considering it will work with a 'granny' charger I assume it is quite low ?
Might be a minimum set by the charger and not the car, might be worth checking?

Might be a minimum set by the charger and not the car, might be worth checking?
My charger is set to 32A, so 7Kwh. Hypervolt charger. But it's just chugging out soler power right now at 2.15 Kwh according to the car.
I wondered if the MG4 has a ,lower limit... i.e won't charge of the power source is less than x

Home charge point standard is a minimum of 1.4kw, add to this the home draw and this will be the minimum solar needed to start and continue a charge.
At 2.5kw solar and 200w home draw that should provide plenty to start and continue so long as it’s not cloudy.
Not had any experience with hypervolt other than ruling them out for use with my solar and battery setup as they could not support setting an min export when charging.

The Hypervolt has a sliding scale within the app for maximum current limit, so you go between 6A and 32A. Is this what you mean. could you set a charging limit using this as it would limit the export to 1.4kwh ?

The Hypervolt has a sliding scale within the app for maximum current limit, so you go between 6A and 32A. Is this what you mean. could you set a charging limit using this as it would limit the export to 1.4kwh ?
My setup is a hybrid inverter with DC direct to battery. As such the charge point can’t see the battery, to ensure that the battery is not discharged rather than using solar I can set an export level whilst charging on the charger. This then ensures that when the solar starts to export 1.4kw plus the set export, 50w in my case the charge will start but will always try to still export 50w thereby not causing the battery to kick in.
This is not the charge level/ current limit which can be used on chargers to help balance the house hold load so as not to blow fuses if the incoming fuse is a low rated one like 60amps.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 535 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back