MG 5 Excite roof bars / roof rack

Aldi ones fit almost perfectly, the right curve for the outside of the rails and a good match of the angle for the clamp on the inside. Enough overhang either side for tying down.

A little bit "flexible" but as is the case with most vehicles the Exclusive is limited to 75Kg so heavy loads are not possible anyway (even my Freelander was limited to the same weight)

And for this reason I'm bemused by "roof tents" considering most people outweigh the limit of 75kg that seems to be in place for most vehicles.

The risk of a rollover incident with the roof tent occupied would I hope be small:giggle:

It is the dynamic loading on the vehicle whilst travelling and in particular when turning which has to be limited especially with it being so high up.

Aldi ones fit almost perfectly, the right curve for the outside of the rails and a good match of the angle for the clamp on the inside. Enough overhang either side for tying down.

A little bit "flexible" but as is the case with most vehicles the Exclusive is limited to 75Kg so heavy loads are not possible anyway (even my Freelander was limited to the same weight)
Thanks for the reply but I’m talking about the excite model without roof rails

I know next to nothing about roof racks/bars/rails but this popped up on eBay, probably rubbish but thought I'd throw it in.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I know next to nothing about roof racks/bars/rails but this popped up on eBay, probably rubbish but thought I'd throw it in.

You should not use these in a car with curtain airbags as they prevent proper deployment of the airbag in the event of an accident

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I know it's not the right answer but I've driven more years/miles without side curtain airbags than with them and thus would be prepared to take the risk, if I needed one.

There’s a chap on the FB group says insignia 2011 roof bars work perfectly for him. I’ve ordered a set and will post how I get on with them.
Do you have a link to the product you purchased? Please let us know how well they fit when you get chance to try them. Thanks

I know it's not the right answer but I've driven more years/miles without side curtain airbags than with them and thus would be prepared to take the risk, if I needed one.
I did not say the airbag would not deploy but could cause injury if restrained by the roofpad straps

Do you have a link to the product you purchased? Please let us know how well they fit when you get chance to try them. Thanks
I tried Nordrive Alumia Silver Aluminium Aero Roof Bars For Opel Insignia 2008 - 2017 | MicksGarage

They don’t fit. The rubber feet are a very different shape as the Insignia roof has a “gutter” that the MG doesn’t have.
F334EF21-394F-45D3-B413-B10F37FF7304.jpeg

There are other bars out there with flat feet which might fit better, like the Summit SUP- 065 which the manufacturers say fit the Insignia. A lad on the FB is very happy his universal bars (don’t know what brand). However Insignia bars are designed to take a mounting bolt, see photo below, which the MG doesn’t have. Personally I’d be hesitant to use bars without the retaining bolt, given the oblique angle of the door arch.

Attachments

• BA9C7B81-A0AD-4063-B316-FB2AF164F3B0.png
    BA9C7B81-A0AD-4063-B316-FB2AF164F3B0.png
    435.3 KB · Views: 98
  • 2EB1F1DC-9CAF-46DD-8275-9CB4F7E4D884.jpeg
    2EB1F1DC-9CAF-46DD-8275-9CB4F7E4D884.jpeg
    221.6 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Has anyone managed to find roof bars that fit the Excite yet? Thanks very much 😊

Finally sorted roofbars, suction type 40kg max, treefrogracks.eu, just tried them once so far, with a light load 15 kg @ 100kmh for 50k. Dearer than conventional bars, but a lots cheaper than buying the Exclusive, very happy. 2 year warranty, hopefylly I get a lot longer than that out of them. Will try them with 40kg on anon and see how the roof holds up (the roof isn't as rigid at the front as it is at the back)

20230114_094652.jpg
20230114_094658.jpg
20230114_141307.jpg

I tried Nordrive Alumia Silver Aluminium Aero Roof Bars For Opel Insignia 2008 - 2017 | MicksGarage

They don’t fit. The rubber feet are a very different shape as the Insignia roof has a “gutter” that the MG doesn’t have. View attachment 9998

There are other bars out there with flat feet which might fit better, like the Summit SUP- 065 which the manufacturers say fit the Insignia. A lad on the FB is very happy his universal bars (don’t know what brand). However Insignia bars are designed to take a mounting bolt, see photo below, which the MG doesn’t have. Personally I’d be hesitant to use bars without the retaining bolt, given the oblique angle of the door arch.
Hi there, I have tried fitting these to my excite and seem fine but would rather have the retaining bolt in to make sure. However, this looks like it will leave a make or small hole in the door arch. Is this what you have done? Nick

The selection of stuff on this site looks interesting but the faff of paying for and then a considerable wait for delivery has put me off. I have instead got a pair of Summit 104 roof bars of Amazon. which will do for the odd IKEA run etc.

Hi there, I have tried fitting these to my excite and seem fine but would rather have the retaining bolt in to make sure. However, this looks like it will leave a make or small hole in the door arch. Is this what you have done? Nick

I've seen these on Amazon which when I type in my number plate show up as compatible. Any thoughts?
Amazon product ASIN B0CB3DK8HB
These look identical to the universal fit ones I got off eBay for cars without roof rails. They have two different types of clips for attaching to the lip of the roof in the door arches. I couldn’t get either clip to fit

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom