MG 5 Excite roof bars / roof rack

Dave Robottom

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
The Excite seems to be a rare beast out in the wild. Has anyone yet identified suitable bars / rack for the Excite.

Dont think enough are on the road yet to justify a companys outlay to make them but I am sure the roof is fairly similar size to others that you might be able to find some. Interesting that you bought the Excite and not the Exclusive if you wanted roof bars....

There are roof bars for the Roewe EI5

Type A1 is the non rail type, ie they fix to the roof.
The other type interestingly fit to the rails! but these are for sale in China. I actually believe that MG will come back with certification to carry a load, but for me personally, it doesn't worry me.

There are roof bars for the Roewe EI5

Type A1 is the non rail type, ie they fix to the roof.
The other type interestingly fit to the rails! but these are for sale in China. I actually believe that MG will come back with certification to carry a load, but for me personally, it doesn't worry me.
The selection of stuff on this site looks interesting but the faff of paying for and then a considerable wait for delivery has put me off. I have instead got a pair of Summit 104 roof bars of Amazon. which will do for the odd IKEA run etc.

Attachments

• roof bars.jpg
    roof bars.jpg
    482.9 KB · Views: 592
The Excite seems to be a rare beast out in the wild. Has anyone yet identified suitable bars / rack for the Excite.
For me, I got the exclusive for the auto climate. I was willing to loose the heating timer. But I'm not going back to messing with fan and temperature controls myself.

Yep...heater is much faster than any ICE car I have ever driven. On another topic if you do get stuff for your cars from China beware of import duty...it can double the price

The selection of stuff on this site looks interesting but the faff of paying for and then a considerable wait for delivery has put me off. I have instead got a pair of Summit 104 roof bars of Amazon. which will do for the odd IKEA run etc.
Do these work OK? Bought a different pair of universal bars but the shape for around the doorway is wrong and they don't fit. Just needed for a roofbaox holding sleeping bags are light bits only.

Do these work OK? Bought a different pair of universal bars but the shape for around the doorway is wrong and they don't fit. Just needed for a roofbaox holding sleeping bags are light bits only.
The Summit 104 do fit ok, but do take a bit of time to set up. I have not tried the with a box just lengths of timber. When I last looked they where not available on amazon.

The Summit 104 do fit ok, but do take a bit of time to set up. I have not tried the with a box just lengths of timber. When I last looked they where not available on amazon.
I’m looking for bars I can remove and put back on quickly. Do you know if its much quicker putting them back up after you set them up initially?

Hi can you confirm which model is that in the picture? Will the summit 104 bars fit an MG zs excite Mk 1, do you know?

An OP posted elsewhere that the Sum 104 didn’t actually fit. Plus I tried to get a set but could them find them online. The company that produced them has been taken over. I have been trying to get a set for the Excite from my dealer. I will post the make and model if the dealer comes through.

Folks, after months of searching, the upshot for me is the Excite won’t take a roof rack. Don’t buy it assuming you’ll find a roof rack to fit it or that one will eventually be made for it. MG Ireland can’t source one, Thule don’t do one, and there’s nothing on any site I’ve searched. I’m told by a reputable parts supplier that there’s no such thing as universal roof bars anymore and even if you did find an old one the car would have to have been made with a receiver in the door frame to sit the clamp (which it hasn’t been). The only option is one of those soft surfboard type racks for very light stuff. If anyone has found another solution (other the Sum 104 bars) please do post.

I have an old set of Halfords universal ones that i managed to fit (it took quite a while as there was only one specific way that they would attach properly). They hook onto the door frame and have rubber feet on the roof. So if you can find universal ones with free returns or somewhere you can test them in person it may be worth a try.
They look similar to Halfords Non-Rail 1.15m Steel Roof Bars (Pair) | Halfords UK
But if you want a roof rack I would recommend looking for a set that comes with multiple options for that bit that hooks on the door frame as the shape of that and how it joins to the rubber roof foot was the bit that made fitting it such a pain.

Aldi ones fit almost perfectly, the right curve for the outside of the rails and a good match of the angle for the clamp on the inside. Enough overhang either side for tying down.

A little bit "flexible" but as is the case with most vehicles the Exclusive is limited to 75Kg so heavy loads are not possible anyway (even my Freelander was limited to the same weight)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom