MG Europe Battery Heater Update (released to Norwegian ZS EV owners on 30th Dec 20)

Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi All,

As my MG ZS EV is one of only a few UK cars to have received the recent battery heater update I have been keeping a close eye on the news updates from Norway as it was only designed to be released for the Nordic countries. Our UK dealers have been holding back on offering this or refusing to perform the update on UK cars (in hindsight you will see why below). My dealer asked me to sign a disclaimer which basically stated if I go ahead with the update any detrimental issues with components within my car would be my responsibility to sort these out as it was not recommended I go ahead. Since the update on the 18th Dec I have been testing functionality and in short the update doesn't work as there are no signs of any voltage draw on the centre binnacle or improved charging speeds at low temperatures tested (0c, -1c, -2,c , -3c in West Yorkshire) plus my GOM is drunk (up/down unlike prior to update).

I was updated by a Norwegian friend last week MG Europe had with drawn this update as owners in Norway had reported up to 50% range loss as the update appears to be messing around with the battery BMS. Also another Norwegian friend on Facebook visited his dealer on 23rd Dec for this update and when completed was told by his dealer that MG China have disabled the functionality within the downloaded file so when the 'on' button was pressed it auto-switched back to 'off' position (something that my UK car doesn't do).

See below the 'Official' MG Recharge yourself Norwegian update (apology) released 30th Dec 20.

We have regrettably registered that some customers get reduced range after upgrade of Coldgate / heating function on the battery. After testing, and reporting to MG factory, errors have been detected in the software that was released. Therefore this software has been withdrawn until the error is corrected. This case is of course a high priority at MG, and a correct software is expected in the near future. When this is available, everyone who has this software will be able to receive V2 update via their dealer. All affected customers will be informed. Of course, there are no costs for correction or upgrading in this the context for MG customers.
MG Recharge Yourself Battery Heater Update - Norway 30th Dec 20.png
MG ZS EV Battery Heater Update Screen Dec 20.jpg

Attachments

• MG ZS EV Battery Heater Update Screen Dec 20.jpg
    MG ZS EV Battery Heater Update Screen Dec 20.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 218
Last edited:
Hi All,

As my MG ZS EV is one of only a few UK cars to have received the recent battery heater update I have been keeping a close eye on the news updates from Norway as it was only designed to be released for the Nordic countries. Our UK dealers have been holding back on offering this or refusing to perform the update on UK cars (in hindsight you will see why below). My dealer asked me to sign a disclaimer which basically stated if I go ahead with the update any detrimental issues with components within my car would be my responsibility to sort these out as it was not recommended I go ahead. Since the update on the 18th Dec I have been testing functionality and in short the update doesn't work as there are no signs of any voltage draw on the centre binnacle or improved charging speeds at low temperatures tested (0c, -1c, -2,c , -3c in West Yorkshire) plus my GOM is drunk (up/down unlike prior to update).

I was updated by a Norwegian friend last week MG Europe had with drawn this update as owners in Norway had reported up to 50% range loss as the update appears to be messing around with the battery BMS. Also another Norwegian friend on Facebook visited his dealer on 23rd Dec for this update and when completed was told by his dealer that MG China have disabled the functionality within the downloaded file so when the 'on' button was pressed it auto-switched back to 'off' position (something that my UK car doesn't do).

See below the 'Official' MG Recharge yourself Norwegian update (apology) released 30th Dec 20.

We have regrettably registered that some customers get reduced range after upgrade of Coldgate / heating function on the battery. After testing, and reporting to MG factory, errors have been detected in the software that was released. Therefore this software has been withdrawn until the error is corrected. This case is of course a high priority at MG, and a correct software is expected in the near future. When this is available, everyone who has this software will be able to receive V2 update via their dealer. All affected customers will be informed. Of course, there are no costs for correction or upgrading in this the context for MG customers. View attachment 982View attachment 984
Sounds like yet another MG customer Beta test they get us to do.
Honestly, its like buying off eBay, dodgy stuff from China that may work or not and then maybe setting your house on fire! Does MG have an eBay account?

Sounds like yet another MG customer Beta test they get us to do.
Honestly, its like buying off eBay, dodgy stuff from China that may work or not and then maybe setting your house on fire! Does MG have an eBay account?
#Batteryheaterbetatest I think you're right Richie although not sure they are on Ebay ha! Bear in mind I asked my dealer for the update and they kindly provided the service FOC so I guess China don't exactly have the right climate to test these kind of updates so they have to do beta testing in cold climates which is traditionally Norway for new EV's:)

#Batteryheaterbetatest I think you're right Richie although not sure they are on Ebay ha! Bear in mind I asked my dealer for the update and they kindly provided the service FOC so I guess China don't exactly have the right climate to test these kind of updates so they have to do beta testing in cold climates which is traditionally Norway for new EV's:)
Hi
I think you will find it can get more than minus 20 or more in some parts. I was in Beijing a few years ago for a Landover launch party and it snowed and it was so cold it stayed around for weeks. We went to the north and it was so cold the diesel got frozen. Google Hazhong very a cold place indeed.
Geography lesson over 🥶❄️🏔️

I think we all have to accept that we are involved in leading edge stuff here - that‘s why it’s sometimes referred to as “bleeding edge” technology. Welcome to the world of products having embedded software.

Issues such as these with software updates aren’t uncommon on anything having a large amount of software - which our cars certainly do. Testing is key here, and it is somewhat concerning that such a significant side-effect wasn’t spotted earlier. I have friends which are involved in software testing & it‘s quite common for the full compliance testing of a product to be the same order of effort as actually writing the software in the first place.

I had the battery heater update a day before Jake Newiss, but I only drove the car for the first time any distance a couple of days ago.

There is definitely something odd with it, as ever since the update OVMS data has been weird Range shown 10-13 miles regardless of SoC.
The SoC has been completely out and I’ve been seeing phantom drains on OVMS but not the car.

Today I rapid charged the car from 18%-55%, adding 15.4kWh in 30 minutes. It was -1°C ambient temp. OVMS stated battery coolant was 1°C to start, rose to 18°C then steadily dropped to 10°C. Not exactly what I was expecting! So the BMS data is all over the place after this update.

With the battery heater off I did manage 84 miles on Tuesday, arriving home with 27%. It was 1-3° ambient temperature.

I think we all have to accept that we are involved in leading edge stuff here - that‘s why it’s sometimes referred to as “bleeding edge” technology. Welcome to the world of products having embedded software.

Issues such as these with software updates aren’t uncommon on anything having a large amount of software - which our cars certainly do. Testing is key here, and it is somewhat concerning that such a significant side-effect wasn’t spotted earlier. I have friends which are involved in software testing & it‘s quite common for the full compliance testing of a product to be the same order of effort as actually writing the software in the first place.
I agree with you here although MG have indicated they will make a fix quickly so watch this space and also this update was never intended or advertised in UK market. Myself and Mike Proctor will UK owners updated on things as the new update is rolled out.

I'll definitely steer clear of that update......until its sorted and fully tested.:(
Chris - It's been withdrawn for now until such time MG in the next 30 days or so bring out an update for current owners who already have V1 software in place. We will keep you update on what happens next. Happy New Year too!

Thanks......I'm fairly happy with my current software..... I'm sure there is only so much they can tweak.

Had my first service late November and they did an update.. Since then the range has nearly halved!! it is going in on 11th of this month for a check....I have looked at the display and there is no sign of an off switch for the battery heater. I am hoping that they just forgot to add it in

Is there a switch for the battery heater? Ive never heard of one personally.

My range has remained very constant.....with everything switched off, about 160 miles..but less lately because of the cold.

apparently it appears on the infotainment system.. range was constatnt until the first service ..so something has happened

My range has remained very constant.....with everything switched off, about 160 miles..but less lately because of the cold.
Same here with the range, was 163 in the summer when I got it and now 155, so no big change even though I have the heater and AC on almost full blast now. It may be because I don't do many miles and all short, urban trips though, only 1425 in 6 months.

have done 19K in the past 12 months..I think its a great car ..generally mileage as you suggest .. Just have this post service range issue..will keep you posted

Had my first service late November and they did an update.. Since then the range has nearly halved!! it is going in on 11th of this month for a check....I have looked at the display and there is no sign of an off switch for the battery heater. I am hoping that they just forgot to add it in

MG are aware of a bug in the software. They will roll out an update soon.

from my car:

Attachments

• 5264EA27-0888-46FE-9C03-825AA08325ED.jpeg
    5264EA27-0888-46FE-9C03-825AA08325ED.jpeg
    461.9 KB · Views: 200
well done Mike.... My display does not have this which makes me think that although they acrried out the update , they failed to update the screen ... I beleive the battery heater , therefore, is permanently on thus producing a drain on the battery ..hence loss of range...will find out on the 11th

well done Mike.... My display does not have this which makes me think that although they acrried out the update , they failed to update the screen ... I beleive the battery heater , therefore, is permanently on thus producing a drain on the battery ..hence loss of range...will find out on the 11th

With your car in ready mode and everything turned off, lights/Aircon etc, what is the current draw displayed on the dash?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom