MG Europe Battery Heater Update (released to Norwegian ZS EV owners on 30th Dec 20)

OMG..I am an electrical engineer and I did not think of that one !!!

Its zero amps ..so thats that theory out of the window

Just out of interest what is that volts shown at full charge...mine is 437 V

OMG..I am an electrical engineer and I did not think of that one !!!

Its zero amps ..so thats that theory out of the window

Just out of interest what is that volts shown at full charge...mine is 437 V
I understand it should be 455v or thereabouts. Your car is affected! Is is that infected :)

Is there a switch for the battery heater? Ive never heard of one personally.

My range has remained very constant.....with everything switched off, about 160 miles..but less lately because of the cold.

Attachments

• EC374D38-19B7-4FCC-A08B-27FFB972C815.jpeg
    EC374D38-19B7-4FCC-A08B-27FFB972C815.jpeg
    154.1 KB · Views: 131
well done Mike.... My display does not have this which makes me think that although they acrried out the update , they failed to update the screen ... I beleive the battery heater , therefore, is permanently on thus producing a drain on the battery ..hence loss of range...will find out on the 11th
If your car was updated before December 20th then you don’t have the #coldgate battery heater update.

well done Mike.... My display does not have this which makes me think that although they acrried out the update , they failed to update the screen ... I beleive the battery heater , therefore, is permanently on thus producing a drain on the battery ..hence loss of range...will find out on the 11th
Hi, im wondering if thats the issue with mine? I have had it 5 weeks but the last couple of weeks I've been getting diabolical range, Wednesday was 100% to --- empty and I got 82 miles, Thursday was 100% to --- empty and I got 73 miles, I barely made it home. Its been into MG both of those days and they cleared over 30 pages of faults, the same the next day but they say thats nothing to be concerned with? The cells all showed up ok but one of the engineers did say it looks like the battery heater was constantly running? The senior engineer at MG head office says its to be expected because of the cold weather, im obviously being palmed off. I've left it with them and they're going to try their charger and a range check just to rule out the charger, if they don't resolve the issue im unfortunately going to have to return the car as "not fit for purpose", 70-80 mile range is totally unacceptable.

Hi, im wondering if thats the issue with mine? I have had it 5 weeks but the last couple of weeks I've been getting diabolical range, Wednesday was 100% to --- empty and I got 82 miles, Thursday was 100% to --- empty and I got 73 miles, I barely made it home. Its been into MG both of those days and they cleared over 30 pages of faults, the same the next day but they say thats nothing to be concerned with? The cells all showed up ok but one of the engineers did say it looks like the battery heater was constantly running? The senior engineer at MG head office says its to be expected because of the cold weather, im obviously being palmed off. I've left it with them and they're going to try their charger and a range check just to rule out the charger, if they don't resolve the issue im unfortunately going to have to return the car as "not fit for purpose", 70-80 mile range is totally unacceptable.
30 pages of faults! How many actual faults is that acquaint to? But whatever, it's just not acceptable and I would say it is truly something to be concerned with. Yes we know the cold takes its toll on mileage but 70-80 is a joke, even at the price.

I'm also in Essex and would be interested to know which dealer you have used.

30 pages of faults! How many actual faults is that acquaint to? But whatever, it's just not acceptable and I would say it is truly something to be concerned with. Yes we know the cold takes its toll on mileage but 70-80 is a joke, even at the price.

I'm also in Essex and would be interested to know which dealer you have used.
Yep it is a joke Richie, I bought the car from Luscombe MG as they done a very good deal, the car is currently at Toomey MG Basildon

Yep it is a joke Richie, I bought the car from Luscombe MG as they done a very good deal, the car is currently at Toomey MG Basildon
Wow, that's a long way away. We went to Toomey Basildon when looking to buy and did not think they were too clued up at least from the sales side, In fairness they were not long MG agents. The same thoughts were made at Chelmsford Glyn Hopkin MG the sales there knew even less.

We ended up at Perkins MG in Rayne Braintree, bit further for us to go but I had dealt with them a few times in the past with Mondeo ST's and found them very good. Our MG LS EV deal was good, otherwise their as tight as the Ducks etc etc. when it come to any freebies, much the same most other MG dealers.

When we found the LS EV did not charge with the unlock issue as mentioned many times on this site we did have to go back and once more to get it sorted, but they where quit graceful about it and all works well.

I have ordered an MG 5 and was pleased with the deal especially the buy back, that was a result.
(Roof Rails? still in thought mode though)

Good luck with the car.

If the battery heater is on all the time, then there is a fault with the BMS as I understand it shouldn’t come on until the temperature drops to around -10°C or so.

As I stated above, very few cars have the battery heater update it in the UK as MG only released it week ending 18/12/20. I’m only aware of 2 cars, mine & Jakes, but there may be more.

There does appear to be a problem with the BMS, unrelated to the battery heater as many owners are reporting reduced range.

My theory is that we have been driving the cars less and doing fewer long distance journeys as we have been told not to by the government. The updates were first released in the summer again during Covid-19 so we just haven’t been seeing many issues other than isolated cases where people have been driving longer journeys. Now the temperature has dropped to way less than last winter, we are all starting to notice range issues.

MG know about this and are working on a fix.

Overall MG are doing a great job in updating the cars, my car for example is a better car now than the one I bought.

If the battery heater is on all the time, then there is a fault with the BMS as I understand it shouldn’t come on until the temperature drops to around -10°C or so.

As I stated above, very few cars have the battery heater update it in the UK as MG only released it week ending 18/12/20. I’m only aware of 2 cars, mine & Jakes, but there may be more.

There does appear to be a problem with the BMS, unrelated to the battery heater as many owners are reporting reduced range.

My theory is that we have been driving the cars less and doing fewer long distance journeys as we have been told not to by the government. The updates were first released in the summer again during Covid-19 so we just haven’t been seeing many issues other than isolated cases where people have been driving longer journeys. Now the temperature has dropped to way less than last winter, we are all starting to notice range issues.

MG know about this and are working on a fix.

Overall MG are doing a great job in updating the cars, my car for example is a better car now than the one I bought.
Hi Mike, whats stranger is that I have ot had the battery heating update done on my car, and yet according the the technician it looks like its running all the time?, the reply from the senior tech at head office was that is normal for the current temperature, I completely disagree, 0°c isn't ridiculously cold, cant see that heating the battery continuously is required, I agree its likely a BMS issue but I dont have the luxury of time whilst they look into writing new software, I didn't sign up to be a guinea-pig, I need a minimum of 74 miles to get to work and back, as it stands im only just making it home, there are no public chargers on my way home without going out of my way so need to get it resolved ASAP. If it cant be fixed very soon then I feel ive no choice but to return it

Wow, that's a long way away. We went to Toomey Basildon when looking to buy and did not think they were too clued up at least from the sales side, In fairness they were not long MG agents. The same thoughts were made at Chelmsford Glyn Hopkin MG the sales there knew even less.

We ended up at Perkins MG in Rayne Braintree, bit further for us to go but I had dealt with them a few times in the past with Mondeo ST's and found them very good. Our MG LS EV deal was good, otherwise their as tight as the Ducks etc etc. when it come to any freebies, much the same most other MG dealers.

When we found the LS EV did not charge with the unlock issue as mentioned many times on this site we did have to go back and once more to get it sorted, but they where quit graceful about it and all works well.

I have ordered an MG 5 and was pleased with the deal especially the buy back, that was a result.
(Roof Rails? still in thought mode though)

Good luck with the car.
I may end up Perkins myself, I've upset the sales manager at basildon as I'd placed an order but later retracted it due to my wife having a work scare, all ended well but by the time I knew her job was safe id had a much better offer from Luscombe. Trouble is now I have a problem the sales team are reluctant to help, ie I was told they would normally lend one of their cars but due to finding out it was me and I bought elsewhere they won't.
I wouldn't mind but the car hadn't even left China when I ordered so its no big deal, just makes it difficult going to my local dealer when I need assistance

Had my first service late November and they did an update.. Since then the range has nearly halved!! it is going in on 11th of this month for a check....I have looked at the display and there is no sign of an off switch for the battery heater. I am hoping that they just forgot to add it in
Mine went in for a BMS update on the 18th Dec - have noted a serious drop in range (estimated and actual) since then - I have done around 12k since July so am familiar with the range it should do. I don't have the battery option on the display. Any other way to check? Will call MG tomorrow.

me too...I have now had the car a full year so know its range in all seasons... recently only got 75 miles from a full charge...interesting o note though when placed on charge again at home ( 7kW) it only took 4 hours to indicate fully charged ( 137 miles ) So I am now wondering if display is faulty... As some of you , my dealer is Perkins at Rayne..so lets see if they can do their magic on the 11th

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom