MG EV ZS 12volt battery

Almo1954

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Can someone explain what purpose the 12V has. I started the car and a yellow warning icon appeared on dash display. The car would not drive so I had to restart again and presumed I had not held the ignition button long enough. The car then started as normal but this yellow warning light has appeared before on me. Any information would be grateful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mostly just the same as for an ICE. Mentally just swap the fuel engine for the 400v battery and traction motor.
12V starts up the bigger 400V beast. Also all stuff that an ICE has is 12V based, thus can be reused in an EV running 12V.
Scale of economics.

All the car's systems run off the 12V battery just as they would in an ICE car. The main traction battery acts just like an ICE engine to make the car move and to charge up the 12V battery.

Mostly just the same as for an ICE. Mentally just swap the fuel engine for the 400v battery and traction motor.
12v status up the bigger 400v beast. Also all stuff that an ICE has is 12v based, thus can be reused in an EV running 12v.
Scale
Thank you.

All the car's systems run off the 12v battery just as they would in an ICE car. The main traction battery acts just like an ICE engine to make the car move and to charge up the 12v battery.
Many thanks.

@Almo1954 You might be better posting in the ZS EV forum as they will have more specific knowledge of your car 😁

I had not held the ignition button long enough. The car then started as normal but this yellow warning light has appeared before on me. Any information would be grateful.
A quick press of the "Stop / Start" button is enough to commence the start up process.
One thing that is really important, is that you keep foot pressure firmly applied to the foot brake and DO NOT release the pressure until you see the READY symbol in the dash panel and hear the ready bong !.
Releasing the pressure on the pedal early will cause problems in the start up process and can cause the car throw up warnings on the dash board that relates to the 12 volt system.

A quick press of the "Stop / Start" button is enough to commence the start up process.
One thing that is really important, is that you keep foot pressure firmly applied to the foot brake and DO NOT release the pressure until you see the READY symbol in the dash panel and hear the ready bong !.
Releasing the pressure on the pedal early will cause problems in the start up process and can cause the car throw up warnings on the dash board that relates to the 12 volt system.
That's really useful information. Thank you.

Yes, I also thought there was something wrong with the car until I learned - and remembered - to press down the brake pedal before pressing the start button.
The different modes of "on" is confusing, I think, and seem somewhat redundant. But maybe it makes sense in Chinese. In dinosaur cars and especially those a bit older, the key can be ACC, ON, Start. It works and does not involve pedals (unless you start the engine while in gear).

No, having to press the brake pedal is a useful safety feature. Otherwise any child or adult could initiate start without that intent.

I had my own problems the other day when I had to be told to put my foot on the clutch to start a manual car! Just shows when I last drove one!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom