MG fully charged voltage

I did my first ever long drive today. 110 mile round trip. Driving with the HVAC, stereo and heated seat on. Temperature was 0-2 degrees. Got back home with 10% battery and 12 miles left.
Did get a bit stressful towards the end when the power was limited and the miles dropped to the teens.
I did stick to 60MPH and it was nearly all motorway speeds - averaged 50MPH. I also drafted large trucks a lot of the motorway journey back. Averaged 3 miles per KW accumulated total according to the car.

I did my first ever long drive today. 110 mile round trip. Driving with the HVAC, stereo and heated seat on. Temperature was 0-2 degrees. Got back home with 10% battery and 12 miles left.
Did get a bit stressful towards the end when the power was limited and the miles dropped to the teens.
I did stick to 60MPH and it was nearly all motorway speeds - averaged 50MPH. I also drafted large trucks a lot of the motorway journey back. Averaged 3 miles per KW accumulated total according to the car.
I don’t like the sound of that. My wife’s going to be doing 98 miles round trip to work every day. She’s a bit nervous as it is, she may not be happy with me insisting we buy this car!!
At what point did the power start being limited?
Did the car start giving big warnings etc - that’ll worry her lots!

Thinking about it, the power being limited could be a very annoying thing, if for instance you know you’re only 2 miles away from getting home and it’s definitely going to make it home easily, there’s no need for the car to reduce power etc. Can you “turn it off”?

I don’t like the sound of that. My wife’s going to be doing 98 miles round trip to work every day. She’s a bit nervous as it is, she may not be happy with me insisting we buy this car!!
At what point did the power start being limited?
Did the car start giving big warnings etc - that’ll worry her lots!

Thinking about it, the power being limited could be a very annoying thing, if for instance you know you’re only 2 miles away from getting home and it’s definitely going to make it home easily, there’s no need for the car to reduce power etc. Can you “turn it off”?
Hi there the reduced range due to low temperatures will effect all EV’s not just the MG, but it is only when you reach these very low temperatures. Yes you will get warms the first warning to say to think about charging is when you reach about 40 miles of range remaining and the second is about 25 miles, however I personally have driven down to just below 10 miles and never had reduced power albeit when it’s getting low the car does encourage you to drive; shall we say steady and not to drive erratically. The car will comfortably do the journey needed for your wife’s trip even in the cold but would recommend you have it fully charged. Just a thought can your wife charge at work??

Do you know yet how many KW it took to charge back up?

First full charge and equalisation after BMS update on 25/01/2021 gave me 449 V. Equalisation took more than 2 hrs (overnight), from 92% battery to 100%+ equalisation took 6KWH. Range with HVAC off, E mode - 174, N mode- 158, S mode-150.

Attachments

• IMG_20210201_065821.jpg
    IMG_20210201_065821.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_20210201_065828.jpg
    IMG_20210201_065828.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_20210201_065835.jpg
    IMG_20210201_065835.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 123
First full charge and equalisation after BMS update on 25/01/2021 gave me 449 V. Equalisation took more than 2 hrs (overnight), from 92% battery to 100%+ equalisation took 6KWH. Range with HVAC off, E mode - 174, N mode- 158, S mode-150.
Looks like your nearly there MAS

I'm on the 4th charge after the update, each equalisation seems to take about 7 hours. Voltage at 439 and no noticeable range increase as yet. Guess this may take a while to sort itself out.

Does anybody else think that this is crazy? 🤪🤪🤪
Totally and that’s why I am happy to avoid this BMS update unless I’m told I must have it, will it impact on mine as I haven’t had any issues or will it just be applied and I see no real difference....who knows I’m just concerned...

Customers have purchased a car based on it’s specifications in good faith. Now, due to no fault by the owner they’re being told to charge and recharge and equalise the batteries - in some cases for a considerable time - before they get back to anything near the original specs. In the short term at least - some owners are considerably disadvantaged by their cars lack of range. Some on here are seriously concerned about their family members being able to complete journeys that under normal circumstances they should do easily. What’s more - there’s still no definitive software version to benchmark - so the confusion continues and those that are not affected are concerned that their cars may become inflicted by the same bug. What’s more the actual application of the software seems to be subject to operator errors. MG have not to my knowledge produced a communication message to owners advising them of the issue and what caused it and how the fix works - different dealers seem to be saying different things. Based on this forum anyway - Confidence in any work completed to their cars is very low - especially those who are knowledgeable about the cars. Those contemplating buying cars or with orders placed are equality wondering what software version/s their cars will have and if they need to take any actions. And it looks as though MG expect owners to just suck it up?

Certainly dont think many people would have bought the car (ZS) if they thought it was only going to go 100 miles on a charge thats for sure...1 of the reasons I went for a MG 5

Certainly dont think many people would have bought the car (ZS) if they thought it was only going to go 100 miles on a charge thats for sure...1 of the reasons I went for a MG 5
During very cold weather and depending on driving style/heating etc a lot of EV’s will get quite a restricted range - this is to be expected if you buy a EV. The MG5 is no different - in cold with aircon driving on motorway speeds range will be much less than you might think. My point is about the fault in the BMS on the ZS and how that has severely affected range on some cars.

Totally and that’s why I am happy to avoid this BMS update unless I’m told I must have it, will it impact on mine as I haven’t had any issues or will it just be applied and I see no real difference....who knows I’m just concerned...
I would avoid - certainly wish I had not had it done.

strange that with such similar cars and i presume similar updates it hasnt affected the MG 5...or has it ?

As far as I know the MG5 is fine.

strange that with such similar cars and i presume similar updates it hasnt affected the MG 5...or has it ?
The ‘5 doesn’t have any BMS faults I have heard about.

Other than it’s an EV and in certain conditions you will be lucky to get 130 miles to empty.

I used to have a Leaf 24 and managed to get the range down to 50 miles with 3% left when I plugged in! The Leaf 40 I managed 114 miles during Storm Gareth in 2019. That went past 0%!! I think I had a maximum of 4 miles left!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom