MG fully charged voltage

Hi there the reduced range due to low temperatures will effect all EV’s not just the MG, but it is only when you reach these very low temperatures. Yes you will get warms the first warning to say to think about charging is when you reach about 40 miles of range remaining and the second is about 25 miles, however I personally have driven down to just below 10 miles and never had reduced power albeit when it’s getting low the car does encourage you to drive; shall we say steady and not to drive erratically. The car will comfortably do the journey needed for your wife’s trip even in the cold but would recommend you have it fully charged. Just a thought can your wife charge at work??
Unfortunately she can't charge at work.
I am not expecting to have a problem with getting the necessary 98mile range from a full charge it'll be returned else!
My working assumption: 165 mile combined range specified, at 75% after years of battery degradation = 123miles, then 20% loss in very cold conditions = 98.4miles.....

Unfortunately she can't charge at work.
I am not expecting to have a problem with getting the necessary 98mile range from a full charge it'll be returned else!
My working assumption: 165 mile combined range specified, at 75% after years of battery degradation = 123miles, then 20% loss in very cold conditions = 98.4miles.....
Don’t expect massive battery degradation in the MG ZS EV as the battery’s are cooled which will stop them from overheating and being damaged, Mike Proctor said he’d dropped about 1% over 13000 miles and mine is about the same over 14000 miles now. It’s the rapid charging that does the damage so charging at home makes a big difference to the life of the battery, i’ve only rapid charged mine about 5 or 6 times.

Havent used it much yet but range in Eco is about 200 miles in various driving conditions

That's not soo bad then....81% used of full capacity (@44.5KW battery)
Although the battery is advertised as 44.5 KW, that's not necessarily it's useable capacity, I calculated mine to be about 42kw, but if the cars had the latest BMS update it might be slightly less than that

There 18 big batteries, so there must be 6 of these cells packed into each big battery.

I don't think those are the exact cells we've got in the ZS EV. First: NCM should be quite pricey due to the high Cobalt content. I reckon we got a cheaper chemistry.

But also: the specs don't add up. 50Ah x 3.65V = 182.5 Wh. 108 of them: 19.71 kWh. Doesn't evenly divide into 44 kWh.

I don't think those are the exact cells we've got in the ZS EV. First: NCM should be quite pricey due to the high Cobalt content. I reckon we got a cheaper chemistry.

But also: the specs don't add up. 50Ah x 3.65V = 182.5 Wh. 108 of them: 19.71 kWh. Doesn't evenly divide into 44 kWh.
Yeah perhaps not although they are definitely NCM batteries as the label says that on the car, and 3.65v X 108 cells = 394.2v (nominal voltage) which is also printed on the car traction battery, so the cells must have a bigger ah rating than the ones I've seen, there are some CATL batteries with bigger ah ratings online but that are still 3.65v perhaps it's them?

That was what I was working it out at too.
So, I'd say they must be the 3.65 nominal voltage cells, but must have a different capacity to those 50Ah versions.

@ 44.5Kw / 110Ah / 394.2.
So they'd have to be 112.88Ah cells - or half that in parallel??

Just working out the fully charged voltage shown in the car:
4.2V charge voltage * 108 = 453.6V
4.25 Max charge voltage * 108 = 459
So you'd say, if it is these cells, those total charged voltages look about right...

Yeah perhaps not although they are definitely NCM batteries as the label says that on the car

Cool, that is great info. I haven't received my car yet, only placed the order so far.

In that case, perhaps they put 2 of the cells in parallel, and got a bit creative when calculating capacity by not using nominal voltage but something closer to charge voltage?

I'm still having trouble reconciling the current though. The car can DC charge up to 75kW when the battery is close to empty, say around 420V. That translates to a current of 180A. The cells you linked have a max charge current of 50A. We'd need 4 in parallel to make that work.

Cool, that is great info. I haven't received my car yet, only placed the order so far.

In that case, perhaps they put 2 of the cells in parallel, and got a bit creative when calculating capacity by not using nominal voltage but something closer to charge voltage?

I'm still having trouble reconciling the current though. The car can DC charge up to 75kW when the battery is close to empty, say around 420V. That translates to a current of 180A. The cells you linked have a max charge current of 50A. We'd need 4 in parallel to make that work.
I've not tried a DC charge yet on mine, but I thought I'd read it can only take 50kW maximum. Be interesting to know what the highest anyone has seen.

I'm not sure I 100% understand what is meant by "Charge voltage" and "Max charge voltage" in the battery cell specs.

I've not tried a DC charge yet on mine, but I thought I'd read it can only take 50kW maximum. Be interesting to know what the highest anyone has seen.

I'm not sure I 100% understand what is meant by "Charge voltage" and "Max charge voltage" in the battery cell specs.
To be honest, the charging rate figures are wide and varied as you might expect.
50 kw appears to be the norm, but figures have ranged from as little as 30 to 75 kw is the best I have seen reported.
A LOT of different factors that can influence the huge margins, asI am sure you already know.
It’s one of them really, if you was pulling 50 you would want 75 and so on.
Higher charge rates are nice, but your battery will not like you for it long term that’s a fact.

Higher charge rates are nice, but your battery will not like you for it long term that’s a fact.

I've read that quite often. Do you have any link to some studies that show that though?

The reason I more and more tend to put that into the 'quite likely an urban myth' category is that Tesla gives long warranties on their batteries and with their supercharger network offer some of the fastest charging anywhere. Complaints about battery degradation, or even warranty claims, seem very rare for Teslas, perhaps a low single digit percentage of their cars.

I believe what reduces battery life is not so much the charge rate itself, but the heat that is generated during charging. An effective cooling system, and a BMS that monitors temperatures and adjusts charge rates accordingly can prevent that damage. Whether our MGs have implemented that as well as Telsa: only time can tell.

The best attempt at an explanation I can come up with:

Charge voltage: the voltage typically used during charging to 100%.

Max charge voltage: the maximum voltage the battery can safely handle. Perhaps an equalisation charge will get close to using that voltage.

I've read that quite often. Do you have any link to some studies that show that though?

The reason I more and more tend to put that into the 'quite likely an urban myth' category is that Tesla gives long warranties on their batteries and with their supercharger network offer some of the fastest charging anywhere. Complaints about battery degradation, or even warranty claims, seem very rare for Teslas, perhaps a low single digit percentage of their cars.

I believe what reduces battery life is not so much the charge rate itself, but the heat that is generated during charging. An effective cooling system, and a BMS that monitors temperatures and adjusts charge rates accordingly can prevent that damage. Whether our MGs have implemented that as well as Telsa: only time can tell.
Interesting points. Supercharging degrades battery packs regardless of how well they’re managed. Tesla battery packs are no different. What happens in practice is that if a Tesla is consistently supercharged a warning message is given. as more supercharging is used the rate avaiable is dropped considerably to protect the pack. A Tesla with a hard supercharging life cannot charge at anywhere near one that has had frequent use. If you take a look at Teslas courtesy car fleet that mostly get supercharged they’re nearly all throttled and the battery ranges significantly reduced from new. 🙂

I haven’t seen any stats on complaints about battery degradation or battery warranty claims - where are you getting your information from please? I’d be surprised if Tesla published detailed data on this. Perhaps they do in Australia?

I remember watching a Tesla Bjorn video last year, where he had reported that Tesla had introduced something about the use / effects of consists rapid charging there cars.
I can’t remember if the car is now capable of recording the number of cycles and feeds it back to the mothership and then warns the driver, but I am pretty sure he said it will reduce the top amount of power the car can draw after it has reached this number, in order to protect the pack.
Of course there cars can charge at massive rates compared to most.
A slight reduction in speed from a massive 150 kw will hardly go unnoticed really.
Living in Norway may help reduce the heat around the outside of the pack at least !.
Offering a bit of hand to the built in cooling system anyway.
Wow ........It gets cold there alright.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom