MG Recall Checker

wandle MG4 trophy

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Does anyone know who is behind the MG Recall Checker website? Is it MG? If not, is it trustworthy and accurate?

I picked up my Trophy on 29 December ie after the compulsory “locked in” update was rolled out. I asked the salesman if the update had been done and he replied yes.

When I enter my VIN and/or reg number into the site it says my car is subject to a recall.

if I enter my reg into the .gov.uk website for recalls (Check if a vehicle, part or accessory has been recalled) it says no information is available for my particular vehicle

I’ll contact the dealer anyway but was curious about the legitimacy of the website

Hi, where did you find the MG recall checker as it seems to link to the MG site when you click the MG dealer link?

Does anyone know who is behind the MG Recall Checker website? Is it MG? If not, is it trustworthy and accurate?

I picked up my Trophy on 29 December ie after the compulsory “locked in” update was rolled out. I asked the salesman if the update had been done and he replied yes.

When I enter my VIN and/or reg number into the site it says my car is subject to a recall.

if I enter my reg into the .gov.uk website for recalls (Check if a vehicle, part or accessory has been recalled) it says no information is available for my particular vehicle

I’ll contact the dealer anyway but was curious about the legitimacy of the website
The MG one tells you if your car is subject to a recall by the VIN/reg, it doesn't know if you've had the recall work carried out. I don't know how often the government database is updated.

Just called my dealer who confirmed my car IS subject to the locked in update which they received on 7 Jan! Apparently, all other software including infotainment is up to date. Earliest they can book me in for a safety recall is 17 March!

I highly recommend everyone uses the recall checker and contacts their dealer as I have not had any communication from MG or the DVSA about this recall.

Hi, where did you find the MG recall checker as it seems to link to the MG site when you click the MG dealer link?
I saw reference to it in another post in these forums

My wife’s mg4 is the same Recall YES on the checker but None on the DVSA site but we did receive a letter from MG asking us to contact the dealership and it’s in there workshop today for the 2nd attempt to update it but we have not had any issues with this problem I have to say.
Les

Mods (@Alb), is it worth pinning this thread to raise awareness of the recall checker?
I've seen nothing to confirm this website is genuine (hence the question in the first post).
If you can officially link it to MG it would be a good candidate for a pin :)

I've seen nothing to confirm this website is genuine (hence the question in the first post).
If you can officially link it to MG it would be a good candidate for a pin :)
Fair enough, I can't find any proof it is MG's but it does link to their site and it doesn't look like a phoney, it only asks for one piece of information. I had hoped they'd linked to it on their main site but I can't find anything.

I don't think it would know who has had the fixes, just be a database of affected VINs/regs
But this recall checker says that my car doesn't need a recall, and I had a letter at the start of the year from DVSA about the locking in recall on my car, which I subsequently had done.

Mine must be on a database of affected regs for me to have had the letter from DVSA. And I assumed that they knew I'd had the fix done, which was why it says no recall due now. Makes no sense!

But this recall checker says that my car doesn't need a recall, and I had a letter at the start of the year from DVSA about the locking in recall on my car, which I subsequently had done.

Mine must be on a database of affected regs for me to have had the letter from DVSA. And I assumed that they knew I'd had the fix done, which was why it says no recall due now. Makes no sense!
I don't know why, sorry, but the main thing is that you have had it done.

Dont believe this is accurate. Reckons my car needs recall. Its had the lock in fix and latest R33 install done weeks ago now. Called Vic Youngs and they say its all updated and nothing required to do on the MG site for my car.

Looks like the MG Recall Checker site is updated when you have had a recall done.

A few months ago the site said my Trophy needed a recall so I had the locking in recall done.

The site now says not subject to a recall.

The gov.uk site has always said they have no info about recalls for my particular vehicle

The generic recall search tool at gov.uk finds the locking in recall for the MG4, but I've not looked for a tool (on gov.uk) that searches by specific vehicle.

Well, I've just got off the phone to the dealer regarding the fact that they'd applied the lock in update, but my car still shows on the MG recall website as needing a recall.

Apparently, there's another recall! When pressed to identify what the recall is for, he came back to explain that it's a "service recall". I asked what a service recall was, and apparently MG have asked for all infotainment systems to be brought up to the latest standard (in my case R33) and to make changes (unidentified) to the body computer software (?) and the charging unit(?!!). The dealer explained that this recall instruction had only just been issued and that provided my car is ok (it is), that there was no rush to get it done.

Now, I may be mistaken here, but I thought recalls were only issued for critical problems - should I be concerned? probably not, given MG's abysmal software record so far!

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 512 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 87 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back