MG ZS EV and Zappi 2 charging problem.

Fergus

Novice Member
Reaction score
We are experiencing "charge delayed / charge complete" long before the car is fully charged. Charging starts but trips off in just a few minutes. Car has been at various charge percentages between 30% and 90%. Also happening on all settings (fast, eco and eco plus). No time delays set.
If anyone has both MG and Zappi 2 that are working ok together could you advise what software versions your MG and Zappi 2 are using? Our MG ZS EV (March 2020) has most up to date software currently available (June 2020) and our Zappi 2 is on software version 2176.
It would also help to hear if anyone has same kit with same problems to know how widespread this might be.
Thanks
Fergus

Hi there I have similar problems with the Rolec charger I have. I just stop the charge and start again, then it's normally OK. I don't have the latest software software updates on my ZS. It was last updated in January

Hi there I have similar problems with the Rolec charger I have. I just stop the charge and start again, then it's normally OK. I don't have the latest software software updates on my ZS. It was last updated in January
Hi Martin, from what I've gathered the most recent MG software update that included a charger software component had fixed the issue with the Rolec charger. If we restart the charge process the Zappi will also run for a few more minutes, but that's not really a long term solution.

Hi. I have the Zappi 2 charging my MG. But I've only got the MG for 2 weeks and Zappi for 6 days of which yesterday I've made the last changes, installing ct sensors for my PV readouts.
Setup is 3 fase Zappi, connected Wireless with Hub (for internet connection, updates and app) and with Harvi for the 3 grid ct sensors and by wire with 2 PV ct sensors. All are on their latest firmware version and my MG is updated to Comfortpack 2.
I didn't encounter your problem (yet), it charges to 100% quite nice, only thing being that is 260km. You didn't tell if you've installed it yourself or if a installer did the job (or if you have the additional gear like Harvi or Hub), but maybe if you can read out the logs on the Zappi it'll probably tell you what's wrong. Also in the manuaal you'l find a troubleshooting section on page 43 ( I'm Dutch but prefer the original English manual). There you can find some of the fault codes explained.

If the Zappi was installed by a installer I would contact them with what the logo's tell.
Otherwise you can enter the Zappi forum on
It seems to me they are more than helpfull.

Hi. I have the Zappi 2 charging my MG. But I've only got the MG for 2 weeks and Zappi for 6 days of which yesterday I've made the last changes, installing ct sensors for my PV readouts.
Setup is 3 fase Zappi, connected Wireless with Hub (for internet connection, updates and app) and with Harvi for the 3 grid ct sensors and by wire with 2 PV ct sensors. All are on their latest firmware version and my MG is updated to Comfortpack 2.
I didn't encounter your problem (yet), it charges to 100% quite nice, only thing being that is 260km. You didn't tell if you've installed it yourself or if a installer did the job (or if you have the additional gear like Harvi or Hub), but maybe if you can read out the logs on the Zappi it'll probably tell you what's wrong. Also in the manuaal you'l find a troubleshooting section on page 43 ( I'm Dutch but prefer the original English manual). There you can find some of the fault codes explained.

If the Zappi was installed by a installer I would contact them with what the logo's tell.
Otherwise you can enter the Zappi forum on
It seems to me they are more than helpfull.
Hi, we have had our installation of the Zappi fully checked out by experts at MyEnergi and the installer. Both very helpful but nothing was found to be wrong. Zappi is working ok on different type of car and our MG charging on other chargers. Also a different MG getting same issue on our Zappi 2. It seems to be a software issue specific to both MG and Zappi 2 combined. We considered software update comfort pack 2 but we're told it doesn't update the charging software at all, so not had that yet.

Hi, we have had our installation of the Zappi fully checked out by experts at MyEnergi and the installer. Both very helpful but nothing was found to be wrong. Zappi is working ok on different type of car and our MG charging on other chargers. Also a different MG getting same issue on our Zappi 2. It seems to be a software issue specific to both MG and Zappi 2 combined. We considered software update comfort pack 2 but we're told it doesn't update the charging software at all, so not had that yet.
I'm not so sure about that last part. It would't hirt, would it? (well if you're in UK it'll cost you about 90£). If it doesn't work now I for sure would try the update if I were you. It' s not just the charging or not, it are a lot of things that makes the car a whole different car, they say on YouTube and on this forum. But for me it's only hearsay, since mine came with cp2 installed.
If you live in the Natherlands you're welcome to try out my Zappi with your car. (ehm that sounds a lot different than what I mean with it...)

Last edited:
I received my MGZS EV on 31 Jan 2020 but have no idea which if any updates the car has! I have Zappi v2 with Hub and Eddie 2.093 together with solar panels. Using ECO Charge mode during May and June I have had several excellent charges showing between 87% to 92% solar power.
No problems but still confused by some of the Status Screens.

We are experiencing "charge delayed / charge complete" long before the car is fully charged. Charging starts but trips off in just a few minutes. Car has been at various charge percentages between 30% and 90%. Also happening on all settings (fast, eco and eco plus). No time delays set.
If anyone has both MG and Zappi 2 that are working ok together could you advise what software versions your MG and Zappi 2 are using? Our MG ZS EV (March 2020) has most up to date software currently available (June 2020) and our Zappi 2 is on software version 2176.
It would also help to hear if anyone has same kit with same problems to know how widespread this might be.
Thanks
Fergus
Works ok for me and Jack who have same kit as you.

I received my MGZS EV on 31 Jan 2020 but have no idea which if any updates the car has! I have Zappi v2 with Hub and Eddie 2.093 together with solar panels. Using ECO Charge mode during May and June I have had several excellent charges showing between 87% to 92% solar power.
No problems but still confused by some of the Status Screens.
Hi, thanks for your post. It seems that I need to find out how to identify what version of the standard software is installed on the MG in order to compare fully. Good to see it's working with at least your configuration.

Hi, thanks for your post. It seems that I need to find out how to identify what version of the standard software is installed on the MG in order to compare fully. Good to see it's working with at least your configuration.
You can’t find out the software version (don’t get confused with infotainment software version it’s not the same) only the dealer can help you.

You can’t find out the software version (don’t get confused with infotainment software version it’s not the same) only the dealer can help you.
Found this under
settings / system / SW Version
on the touch screen.
ZS11_EV_NAV_41.64_190813_R
Is that the infotainment software?

Found this under
settings / system / SW Version
on the touch screen.
ZS11_EV_NAV_41.64_190813_R
Is that the infotainment software?
As per my earlier response the infotainment system has nothing to do with the cars software and there is now way of seeing the car software version other than via a dealer connecting car to server in china or dealer checking your cars records.
I am getting the comfort 2 update (latest release) next Monday at my dealer which consists of 2 x 10 min usb updates (1 for nav maps and 1 for infotainment system) and then 2 updates whilst connected to the car via the OBD socket and over the internet to the MG Chinese computer server. All in all these 4 updates form part of the 'comfort update' and take approximately 2 hours dependant on fast/slow internet connection with China. On completion the MG Chinese server registers the irreversible car updates against your cars VIN number.

Thanks
Fergus
Hi Fergus,

We are experiencing the same problem with our MG ZS EV & the Zappi 2 charger. I wondered if you had found a solution to it? Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks, Julianne

I am also experiencing a similar problem with pod point home charger after 14 minutes, the car/changer will stop charging and I have to restart the charging process continuously. I’m lucky I have a fast charger at the end of my road but it does seem ludicrous that I can’t charge at my property

Hi Fergus,

We are experiencing the same problem with our MG ZS EV & the Zappi 2 charger. I wondered if you had found a solution to it? Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks, Julianne
Hi Julianne,
Did you get the problem fixed? I’m having the same issues, with mij MG ZS and the Zappi 2.

regards, Roel

Hi Julianne,
Did you get the problem fixed? I’m having the same issues, with mij MG ZS and the Zappi 2.

regards, Roel
I found the cause of the strange switching off behaviour of the Zappi when charging my MG to be in the TP-Link powerline adaptor which I used in my home network. Apparently some of the control signals of that adaptor are transferred by the Zappi to the MG, causing it to stop the charging. Once the adaptor was unplugged, the charging process went uninterupted. So Roel (and maybe Julianne), pls check if you deploy any such adaptor in your home network ..... it may be the cause of your troubles, too,

The powerline adapters affect a lot of chargers with the MG. It is a 'MG quirk'. There was quite a bit of talk/threads about it last year I think.
I had the same problem with a Rolec charger and the Granny with mine plugged in.
I have since removed them and am totally WiFi now.

e.g. Powerline adapters interfere with charging

I have a Zappi 2 & have been using it since Dec’20 - it was fitted the same day our car arrived. The Harvi unit is Ethernet cable connected. The Zappi software was updated about 3 months ago.

The system works well enough & I have solar & a battery system.

Attachments

• F6F9BB6D-0D21-4A19-AF25-BB9C23778525.jpeg
    F6F9BB6D-0D21-4A19-AF25-BB9C23778525.jpeg
    190.9 KB · Views: 183
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom