MG ZS EV Battery heating always on??

bobmoffat

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi maybe a stupid question but I cant find the answer in the e manual. There is an option in the charging screen To “Battery heating always on” would this increase the range of the batteries in cold weather, as my range has reduced quite badly since the temperature has dropped to below freezing. If it does increase the range, does that mean it is on when the car is not charging as would have thought having heating on all the time would reduce the range?? As I said I maybe missing something, have attached screen shot
8E610578-47C6-4633-A3A8-BFE787B539D9.jpeg

Battery heater always on resets after each startup best way to get better range preheat cabin only need battery heater if you're going to DC charge

I would assume it is whilst the car is still on the wall charger. Ive tried it and the charger reconnects and takes the load away from the battery.

I may be wrong but I thought that the idea of pre heating the battery before charging reduced the charging time, therefore reducing the charging cost?
I have probably not understood. I thought if the battery was cold, then the charging rate would not be as high as it could be with a warm battery. As charging costs are per kWh, the time would increase with a cold battery, but the charging cost would be about the same. IE it would just take longer. Am I wrong?

I have probably not understood. I thought if the battery was cold, then the charging rate would not be as high as it could be with a warm battery. As charging costs are per kWh, the time would increase with a cold battery, but the charging cost would be about the same. IE it would just take longer. Am I wrong?
No your right.. Time is not a factor for cost of charging, it is the cost per Kwh, it doesnt matter how quickly or slowly you charge it will cost you the same amount.. If the battery is pre-heated if cold then it 'should' charge faster though.

Some networks charge by the minute apparently, which would make a difference.

Okay, so if you preheat your battery during your journey, it will take less time to charge won’t it? The minimal cost of preheating will be more than offset by the reduced charging time?

How can heating the cabin increase the range, the heater zaps the range?
I thought the heater was for the battery compartment not the cabin. As we have lost a lot of range when the temperature is below freezing, so I thought that option would keep the batteries at a constant temperature thus increasing the range

Apparently, if your battery is cold, it restricts the speed it can charge. So if your at a 50kw charger with a cold battery, your car may only accept 25kw, where as a warm battery will take the full 50kw

Battery preheating is used to increase charge rate at DC rapid chargers therefore reducing the time required to charge. It does reduce range so if you don't need to use it don't.

If it's heated by way of the wall charger before a long journey it is beneficial as you get more range out of the battery. I've done it so I know it works .

Okay, so if you preheat your battery during your journey, it will take less time to charge won’t it? The minimal cost of preheating will be more than offset by the reduced charging time?
Depends how much you're planning on putting in it & how much your time is worth to you....

The message on the App Scheduled Charging screen says “
Scheduled Battery Heating

It is recommended to schedule battery heating 1 hour before use the car”

It doesn’t say to heat prior to charging!

Attachments

• 45DA8B00-42A5-41A4-A99F-85AE0BDC15C6.png
    45DA8B00-42A5-41A4-A99F-85AE0BDC15C6.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 88
The message on the App Scheduled Charging screen says “
Scheduled Battery Heating

It is recommended to schedule battery heating 1 hour before use the car”

It doesn’t say to heat prior to charging!
Wonder what they really meant... 🤔😂

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom