MG ZS EV Charging port won't open.

IliasManos

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV

Hello everyone,

As the title suggests, the charging port (in front of the car with the huge MG logo) won't open no matter what we do.
We have made sure that the car is unlocked (in fact tried every combination of locked, unlocked, with the engine running, open doors, etc.) and we have tried also to warm up around it with a hairdryer to make sure that it is not frozen.
(Also, this has been happening during autumn as well, so it is not a frost issue)

Nothing works.

It has one time "reset" or unlocked on its own after a new drive, but that's only 1 out 8 times we have had the problem, and besides the fact that now we are too low on remaining mileage (60km on Eco with all electronics switched off), we generally can not go through this 3-4 times per month.
If anyone has any tips or advice on the matter, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

There is a manual release cable inside the engine compartment just off centre. The manual will show you where or there are some you tube clips about it.

There is a manual release cable inside the engine compartment just off centre. The manual will show you where or there are some you tube clips about it.
He's talking about the door to the charging port. The cable is for reieaseing the charging lead.

Hello everyone,

As the title suggests, the charging port (in front of the car with the huge MG logo) won't open no matter what we do.
We have made sure that the car is unlocked (in fact tried every combination of locked, unlocked, with the engine running, open doors, etc.) and we have tried also to warm up around it with a hairdryer to make sure that it is not frozen.
(Also, this has been happening during autumn as well, so it is not a frost issue)

Nothing works.

It has one time "reset" or unlocked on its own after a new drive, but that's only 1 out 8 times we have had the problem, and besides the fact that now we are too low on remaining mileage (60km on Eco with all electronics switched off), we generally can not go through this 3-4 times per month.
If anyone has any tips or advice on the matter, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Hi you've probably tried this. But I find you have to press the badge in firmly with the flat of your hand. Then it pops out. Then you can lift it up.

Hi you've probably tried this. But I find you have to press the badge in firmly with the flat of your hand. Then it pops out. Then you can lift it up.
Haven't tried it, but just got the car back from the sales distributor and they told me that now they know that there's an issue with the mechanism :(

Fixed, but damn, the car ain't even 6 months old yet. Brand new.

Haven't tried it, but just got the car back from the sales distributor and they told me that now they know that there's an issue with the mechanism :(

Fixed, but damn, the car ain't even 6 months old yet. Brand new.
Sh*t happens, as they say, even with brand new cars. The 12v battery in my brand new MG ZS EV had to be replaced after one week.

I think batteries in any newcar are suspect. I had a Honda CR-V that had a duff battery. It was replaced under warranty with an official Honda replacement that only lastEd less than a year. I gave up fighting and put in a proper battery and then no more trouble.

HELP !! can't open the charging port door with MG badge whatever I do. I've tried going up and down the road to reset it. I've spayed WD40 on it from within the bonnet. I've locked and unlocked it many times. Opened all the doors and closed them. Tried using the flat of my hand to the left side of the badge. Anyone other ideas (it's not the cable locking mechanism BTW- but yes I have tugged on that for good measure as well !)

OK, Update. my wife found a thread which said if you press firmly on the MG logo while using the key to remotely lock and unlock it can wake the mechanism up. Well it worked thankfully...so hope this helps anyone else who has the same problem. Will apply lots of lubricant in the morning.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom