Mg ZS ev charging problem

Berty

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi all I have had my 2020 MG ZS EV for 4 months now, we don't do many miles and have always charged it the with home granny charger which sometimes will charge it between 172 and 188 miles in normal mode, last weekend i had to do a longer trip and so i had to charge it on a fast charger in Coventry to get back home, I didn't fully charge it and charged it to 132 enough to get me home but when i put it on the granny charger it will only charge it to 151 miles now and it says charging complete and wont let me put any more in, so i was wondering is this normal after using a fast charger has been used or after i run the battery down again will o get back to the normal 170 plus miles i was getting before.

Thanks. Alan

What sort of mi/kWh did you do on that trip?
1 rapid charge shouldn't drop the GOM too much, so I would reset the trip counters turn off AC and fan etc put into eco and see if that makes a difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it calculates the power used on your previous trips (added up over time) to estimate range. The last trip you did was out of the ordinary. You will see a drop in calculated range if doing higher speed long distance driving.

As above, reset the trip meter and let it start calculating again with your usual driving.

Hi all I have had my 2020 MG ZS EV for 4 months now, we don't do many miles and have always charged it the with home granny charger which sometimes will charge it between 172 and 188 miles in normal mode, last weekend i had to do a longer trip and so i had to charge it on a fast charger in Coventry to get back home, I didn't fully charge it and charged it to 132 enough to get me home but when i put it on the granny charger it will only charge it to 151 miles now and it says charging complete and wont let me put any more in, so i was wondering is this normal after using a fast charger has been used or after i run the battery down again will o get back to the normal 170 plus miles i was getting before.

Thanks. Alan
Miles is a guess by the car.

Percentage is everything.

What percentage is the car stating when it stops?

I think it calculates the power used on your previous trips (added up over time) to estimate range. The last trip you did was out of the ordinary. You will see a drop in calculated range if doing higher speed long distance driving.

As above, reset the trip meter and let it start calculating again with your usual driving.
Hi Thanks for the reply, how do i reset the trip counter

Long press OK on the steering wheel controls

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230813-123923~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20230813-123923~2.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 107
I agree, thread discussion threw me with % displayed comments. Given the point about previous trips affecting charging capacity, do you think it's good practice to zero the trip details prior to a "granny equalisation" charge to ensure battery gets charged to right level ?

Quick aside , how do you get % charge displayed on 2020 ZS EV all I ever see is miles
Only miles are present on the Gen1 ZS EV but you able to see a percentage read out on the Gen 2 model.
Sorry for the confusion, the screen shots taken above are from the digital owners manual for the Gen 2 ZS EV ( facelift ) model.
In reference to the photo uploaded by @Bogerx you can see that the dash panel in his photo, has been taken from the facelift model.
The give away, is the digital readout for power in % etc.
Dash panel in the Gen1 is mainly an analogue read out for the speedo etc.
The process of steering wheel button pressing for resetting the trips is the same, if I recall correctly.
Resetting the trips has no effect on the charging capacity of the battery or if you intend to carry out a balance cycle TBH.
Resetting the trips prior to charging via A/C unit will just produce a closer default factory predicted range, because when you reset the trips, it will delete any historical data stored by the car.
Some owners like to see the data based on previous data and some like to view a non - historical prediction.
That choice is this is completely down to the individual.

Great reply, I think I will carry on as per:- monthly granny charge and equalisation, coupled with top-ups as and when required ( instavolt app shows charging profile with 'drop-off' at approx 80% - that's my cue to stop charging ). hopefully home charging unit being installed soon - FREE2MOVE tethered unit from dealer - to do overnight '7 hr charges' on EV tariff.

Thanks. Alan
I thought 100% charge corresponds to a max range of about 168m in ideal conditions (weather and battery’s age)?

Thanks. Alan
First question is were you actually getting 170-180 miles or was that just an indication? If its a mk1 thay are only optimistically claimed WLTP mileage of 160 in eco mode, so displaying full charge range of 150 in normal mode is expected. Mine has always been charged on a home fast 7kW charger and always displays expected range of 150 miles (ish) on full charge

Hi when i picked the car up from the dealers it as charged to 172 miles in normal mode or 186 in echo, it has always charged between 165 to 175 in the past,
If I set drive to E tegen to 3 and switch off HVAC completely a full charge indicates anout 170 miles ( summer) 145 winter but of course this is not real as i always have AC or heater on and rarely drive in E mode. Saying that i also never travel more than 130 miles in a day and always recharge overnight at home when range gets down to 60 miles or less. BTW in 2 years ZS EV has been totally reliable and consistent.

When we got our MG zs ev in March 21, for 2 years total range always showed 263km (in Australia) but now when 100 % charged it tells us our range is 248km . Is that a normal loss in range for being over 2 years old? Always charge in a 7kw charger, never fast charger, and nearly always equalise at the end.

When we got our MG zs ev in March 21, for 2 years total range always showed 263km (in Australia) but now when 100 % charged it tells us our range is 248km . Is that a normal loss in range for being over 2 years old? Always charge in a 7kw charger, never fast charger, and nearly always equalise at the end.
What is your total distance covered todate ?.
Our previous ZS EV was the original Gen1 model and we owned it for just over two years and covered about 20,000 miles.
After a full charge and balance, in default mode and both trip counters reset, the predicted range was very similar.
SOH of the traction battery was around 93%.
Others have reported better or worst results depending on their mileage / charging sessions covered.
The decline was very slow and gradual after the car received the BMS update ( there is already a huge thread on this on the forum ).
I did consider there to be some battery degradation present if I am being honest.

Hi all, just to let you know the latest with my Mg ZS ev car charger problem, i used the car until there was about 40 miles of charge left and then i connected my granny charger and left it until it got to 100% and it is showing 187 miles in normal mode, as i stated in my original post i wondered if i could get back up to about 172 miles or so and now everything seems back to normal.
Thank you all for your comments its been very interesting reading other peoples situations.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom